ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I have multiple naturalisation (i.e passports from two diffnt countries (UK & USA) in addition to birth citizenshi)?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

OMONAIJA
Newly Registered

Can I have multiple naturalisation (i.e passports from two diffnt countries (UK & USA) in addition to birth citizenshi)?

Post by OMONAIJA » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:48 pm

Hello,

Please I need your kind advice on the following issue.

I am a citicizen from another country, I am just qualified to apply for British Naturalisation now having spent more than 10 years in the UK (and I have got UK ILR for more than 12 months). I also have pending settlement visa application with USA (through USA citizen brother that filed a settlement petition/application/sponsorship for me).

QUESTIONS:

(a) Is it legal to have three passports (i.e (1) birth citizenship, (2) UK by naturalisation and (3) later, USA by naturalisation via green card/settlement visa)?

(b) If I submit my UK naturalisation application now and get UK passport before obtaining USA settlement visa/green card, will I be able to still legally obtain USA passport in future?

Thanks in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can I have multiple naturalisation (i.e passports from two diffnt countries (UK & USA) in addition to birth citizens

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:50 pm

The UK does not limit the number of 'citizenships' you can hold.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Re: Can I have multiple naturalisation (i.e passports from two diffnt countries (UK & USA) in addition to birth citizens

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:52 pm

Unsure about your questions regarding US immigration and for those, I will move your question to the US Immigration forum.

As regards the UK, the UK does not place any limitations on how many other nationalities you can have. I faintly recall one case on these forums of a family having four nationalities across four continents.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

OMONAIJA
Newly Registered

Post by OMONAIJA » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:19 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:52 pm
Unsure about your questions regarding US immigration and for those, I will move your question to the US Immigration forum.

As regards the UK, the UK does not place any limitations on how many other nationalities you can have. I faintly recall one case on these forums of a family having four nationalities across four continents.
Thank you very much for your kind reply. Please kindly move my question to the US Immigration forum so that I could get advise/opinion from those familiar with US immigration policies.

Regards,

OMONAIJA
Newly Registered

Post by OMONAIJA » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:20 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:50 pm
The UK does not limit the number of 'citizenships' you can hold.

Thank you for your kind reply.

Regards,

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:25 pm

OMONAIJA wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:48 pm
(b) If I submit my UK naturalisation application now and get UK passport before obtaining USA settlement visa/green card, will I be able to still legally obtain USA passport in future?
Short answer - Yes, in order to get US citizenship and subsequently US passport you will need to be a legal resident (Green Card) in the US for over 5 years regardless of the nationalities that you hold.

Long answer - Candidates for US citizenship through naturalization are forced to (at least hypothetically) renounce their previous citizenship at the United States naturalization ceremony.

The renouncing of one’s previous citizenship is part of the oath that new US citizens must take, and failing to honor that oath could result in the loss of citizenship in the United States.

While most countries recognize the Oath of Allegiance in the United States to be a binding contract regarding one’s citizenship, other countries have stated that the oath has no effect on their own citizenship laws. The US government used to aggressively pursue these cases to get the dual citizens to renounce their citizenship, but this is no longer the case.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

OMONAIJA
Newly Registered

Post by OMONAIJA » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:43 am

max307 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:25 pm
OMONAIJA wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:48 pm
Short answer - Yes, in order to get US citizenship and subsequently US passport you will need to be a legal resident (Green Card) in the US for over 5 years regardless of the nationalities that you hold.

Long answer - Candidates for US citizenship through naturalization are forced to (at least hypothetically) renounce their previous citizenship at the United States naturalization ceremony.

The renouncing of one’s previous citizenship is part of the oath that new US citizens must take, and failing to honor that oath could result in the loss of citizenship in the United States.

While most countries recognize the Oath of Allegiance in the United States to be a binding contract regarding one’s citizenship, other countries have stated that the oath has no effect on their own citizenship laws. The US government used to aggressively pursue these cases to get the dual citizens to renounce their citizenship, but this is no longer the case.
Thanks very much for the response. I am very grateful.

Kind regards,
XX

yand
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by yand » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:31 pm

I have my nationality of birth, my UK citizenship through naturalisation and my US citizenship through naturalisation. All fine.

OMONAIJA
Newly Registered

Post by OMONAIJA » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:48 pm

yand wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:31 pm
I have my nationality of birth, my UK citizenship through naturalisation and my US citizenship through naturalisation. All fine.
Thank you very much.

Regards,
XX