ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pregnant Japanese wife and i want to move back to UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

myspiretishappy
Newly Registered
Japan

Pregnant Japanese wife and i want to move back to UK

Post by myspiretishappy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:50 pm

Hello

I'm a British citizen, and have been living in Japan for the past few years. My wife (Japanese nationality) has unexpectedly fallen pregnant. While at first surprised, we have come to terms and are both very happy.

We have decided due to family that the child would have a much better life in the UK and we are trying to look at our options.
We both currently reside in Japan and don't really want to be separated for an extended period of time. My friend has offered me a position at his company to help with getting my feet on the ground for when I move back to the UK, the only issue is we don't really have a plan of action..

We were thinking about having the baby in the UK while she's on a tourist visa, paying NHS fees through a payment plan and then changing to a family visa as she can apply as a parent.
Does this plan sound stupid?

I heard and read the spouse visa pre-pregnancy is a nightmare to sort out?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Pregnant Japanese wife and i want to move back to UK

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:00 pm

Yes, the plan is not a good one. You risk a long difficult battle if refused a parent visa.

Do it properly by applying for a spouse visa and not a visit visa route as you cannot switch visa categories within the UK as a visitor.

Even if the "plan" could work, as you are married, it is the 10 year partner route she would apply for. The parent route is for single parents of a British child who are no longer in a subsisting relationship with their spouse or partner.

If you meet the financial requirement with your earnings in Japan AND have a confirmed job offer to start within 3 months of arrival in the UK, you can apply.

Do you have any savings?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

myspiretishappy
Newly Registered
Japan

Post by myspiretishappy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:10 pm

I have savings but nothing that meets the threshold.

I've read mixed things about the earnings situation.

My job currently I earn anywhere from 230,000yen to 250,000 yen depending on hours which is just shy of the 18k if you take exchange rates into account.

The job my friend is offering is over the 18.6k though.
I've read you need to work the UK job for 6 months or something? ..

I'm sorry I don't know all too much about it, It's awfully confusing.

myspiretishappy
Newly Registered
Japan

Post by myspiretishappy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:36 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:00 pm
Yes, the plan is not a good one. You risk a long difficult battle if refused a parent visa.

Do it properly by applying for a spouse visa and not a visit visa route as you cannot switch visa categories within the UK as a visitor.

Even if the "plan" could work, as you are married, it is the 10 year partner route she would apply for. The parent route is for single parents of a British child who are no longer in a subsisting relationship with their spouse or partner.

If you meet the financial requirement with your earnings in Japan AND have a confirmed job offer to start within 3 months of arrival in the UK, you can apply.

Do you have any savings?
To expand on this, my wife doesn't mind returning to Japan to apply for the visa. We just want to make sure the baby is born British and with family.
Hospital fees with insurance cost a couple of grand here in Japan anyway so the NHS fees don't really change much.

My job currently isn't over the 18.6k due to hours. My pay is £15 an hour but I don't get enough hours.

If spousal visa is out of the question, would it really be a bad idea to move together on a tourist visa, have the baby, and get my feet on the ground with a 20k/y job in the UK?

She can then return to Japan and we can start the spousal visa process.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:14 am

We're you born in the UK to British parents?? If you are British otherwise than by descent, a child born abroad is automatically British by descent.

NHS birth etc cost upwards of £3500 as she has to pay 150% of the cost and non payment of NHS fees can have an adverse effect on obtaining a visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

myspiretishappy
Newly Registered
Japan

Post by myspiretishappy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:26 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:14 am
We're you born in the UK to British parents?? If you are British otherwise than by descent, a child born abroad is automatically British by descent.

NHS birth etc cost upwards of £3500 as she has to pay 150% of the cost and non payment of NHS fees can have an adverse effect on obtaining a visa.
I am. I have British parents and was born and raised in the UK. The issue is this financial requirement. I'm decently well off here but in terms of income, but when it comes to exchange rate I'm under the 18.6k

oldmankensey

Post by oldmankensey » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:09 pm

can I ask what is it that has persuaded you that life in the UK will be better?

Is it push or pull? Are you unhappy with your life in Japan or is it more a case of wanting to try things in the UK?

myspiretishappy
Newly Registered
Japan

Post by myspiretishappy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:11 pm

oldmankensey wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:09 pm
can I ask what is it that has persuaded you that life in the UK will be better?

Is it push or pull? Are you unhappy with your life in Japan or is it more a case of wanting to try things in the UK?
We have no family here, wife included. That combined with the cost of living and difficulties with bringing up a child. There's a reason people aren't having kids here it's just too hard sadly.

Also I'm na idiot and 220,000 yen a month is actually over the required amount..