ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Swedish citizen wanting to move to UK with American husband

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

AmandaMS
Newly Registered
Sweden

Swedish citizen wanting to move to UK with American husband

Post by AmandaMS » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi! I'm a Swedish citizen married to an American citizen and we're currently living in the US. I'm a bit confused on what the requirements are for us to move to the UK. The more I read the more confused I get.. I've understood that we can apply for an EEA family permit from outside the country. What confuses me are the requirements on me as the EU citizen. It says that I as the EU citizen need to be a ‘qualified person’ (working, looking for work, self-employed, studying or self-sufficient) to qualify or "be travelling with the non EU member to the UK within 6 months of the date of application". Does that mean that as long as I don't already live in the UK I don't need a job or anything? Just proof that we'll be moving over together (plane tickets etc)?

From my understanding my husband would then need to apply for Residence Permit once we're over. After that, do we both need to apply for pre-settled status or is that just me as the EU citizen?

Thanks,
Amanda

AmandaMS
Newly Registered
Sweden

Re: Swedish citizen wanting to move to UK with American husband

Post by AmandaMS » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:53 pm

Anyone? I mainly just want to know if I need to secure a job before moving over or not? We do have quite a bit of savings, could we use that as a way to show that we can support ourselves for some time when we first move over if I don't have a job?

Thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:26 pm

As a Swedish citizen (EU) you have the right to enter the other EU countries as part of Freedom of Movement (irrespective from which country you arrive). You don't need to have a job upfront, or financial means. Your US husband should carry sufficient documentation (probably marriage certificate, financial records, ...) to prove he is married to you and he is likely to be "stamped in" under EU regulations. Suggest you both go to the EU line for entry clearance. Residence permits could then be applied for within country/UK.
This is just an outline of my understanding. Others will be able to comment further.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

AmandaMS
Newly Registered
Sweden

Post by AmandaMS » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:55 pm

Thank you so much, this is very helpful!

tiems
Newly Registered
Netherlands

Post by tiems » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:00 pm

I've entered with my US spouse as an EU National. We didn't carry any documents, but the Immigration Officer said that in order to let him in under EU treaty rights (we didn't want to go through the non-eea queue) she just asked some questions and then got him the stamp.

I guess we were lucky, since it's generally considered better to carry your documents with you, and we were only there on holiday that time.

But it does mean you can directly apply for the residency card once you're here. (Or settled status if that becomes a thing.)