ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC or ILR??

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

qais_88
Newly Registered

BC or ILR??

Post by qais_88 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Dear all,

Firstly, I would like to thank anyone who has interest on this and replies to my query :D .

I am a BC when I got married and we have now 2 kids.

My wife entered UK (13 Oct 2013) on a 2.5 year spousal visa, we then applied for an extension and got another 2.5 years (expiring 09 Dec 2018).

Since her entrance to the UK on Oct 2013 to Dec 2018 it will be more than 5 years. My question is, does she really need to apply for ILR? Can't she straight away apply for BC as a spouse of BC?

I have also read somewhere that as soon as she gets ILR she can straight away apply for BC - is this true?

My thinking is what is the point of having ILR when she if she can apply directly for BC.

Kind regards,

Qais

TheRock9
Mood:

Re: BC or ILR??

Post by TheRock9 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:39 pm

qais_88 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:24 pm
Dear all,

Firstly, I would like to thank anyone who has interest on this and replies to my query :D .

I am a BC when I got married and we have now 2 kids.

My wife entered UK (13 Oct 2013) on a 2.5 year spousal visa, we then applied for an extension and got another 2.5 years (expiring 09 Dec 2018).

Since her entrance to the UK on Oct 2013 to Dec 2018 it will be more than 5 years. My question is, does she really need to apply for ILR? Can't she straight away apply for BC as a spouse of BC?

I have also read somewhere that as soon as she gets ILR she can straight away apply for BC - is this true?

My thinking is what is the point of having ILR when she if she can apply directly for BC.

Kind regards,

Qais
Hi.

I believe you have to apply for ILR first and only then you can apply for BC.

I have also read somewhere that as soon as she gets ILR she can straight away apply for BC - is this true? Yes it is true, you can apply for BC straight after getting an ILR
I am not an immigration lawyer, so comments here are not an advise. My comments are from my own experience and interpretation of information which is available publicly.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:40 pm

No one can apply directly for BC without first being granted ILR or PR.

Providing your wife meets all the standard requirements, including permitted absence/English language/good character etc, she will be able to apply for citizenship immediately after obtaining ILR.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

qais_88
Newly Registered

Post by qais_88 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:01 am

Thanks to all who has replied to my questions. We applied for ILR and received it the same day using the premium service.

I have 2 more questions,

1. Regarding the referees for my wife's BC application, two of my friends (not related) know my wife personally and will sign the deceleration. Their status are as below. My question is do they both qualify to be referees?
Ref A: British Citizen (Born in UK) - Self Employed - Profession Engineer - Degree in Civil Engineering
Ref B: Malaysian (Holds ILR) - Employed - Chartered Engineer - Degree in Civil Engineering

2. If they qualify, do they need to sign 2 separate declaration forms with 2 photos or do they both sign 1 declaration form with 1 photo?

Thanks in advance.