ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bigamy/Deception/Marriage of Convenience

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

AsherMom
Newly Registered
Barbados

Bigamy/Deception/Marriage of Convenience

Post by AsherMom » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:01 pm

Hello
I found out my husband entered into a marriage of covenience with a British citizen while still married to me. We still live together as husband and wife. Apparently he used a divorce decree from a prior marriage to show he was free to marry. They've submitted an application for a spouse visa. He's done the biometrics and I theorize submitted his passport (it's not among our other legal documents).

I have notified the Home Office of our existing marriage by submitting supporting documents. We currently live in Canada.

Will he be subject to a 10 year ban? Will the Home Office follow up on my information? (I did speak to an Intelligence Officer from the Home Office, who confirmed receipt of info). However, I gather marriage is not required to apply for spouse visa (a common law union of the sorts could also suffice), so could he still be approved?

Can I apply for a visitor's visa to see a friend or will I be impacted by his pending application? My friend sent an invitation letter for he and I. Should I have her just send letter for me? I have no intention to settle there. I am a Therapist here in Canada and i'm very connected to my community. We're both citizens of Barbados and permanent residents in Canada.

Thanks in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Bigamy/Deception/Marriage of Convenience

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:09 pm

An unmarried partner visa is only possible if you have rock solid evidence of 24 months cohabitation and shared financial responsibility. So if he has not lived with this person, he won't get a visa.

Did your husband marry this person through official channels or was it a proxy marriage or an Islamic marriage??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AsherMom
Newly Registered
Barbados

Post by AsherMom » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:21 pm

Thanks for response. Marriage was through official channel. He's not Muslim. I think woman was paid to do marriage. She's aware that he's married

Garry20g

Post by Garry20g » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:22 pm

Hi. Your husband is almost Canadian citizen. I do not understand why he so desperate for british visa. Canada is a beautiful country.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:30 pm

AsherMom wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:01 pm
We're both citizens of Barbados and permanent residents in Canada.
:idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.