ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by Sulla » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:58 am

Forestier

I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

My advice would be, before you go and hire a genealogist (which is likely to set you back quite a bit) make absolutely sure that you have used the online databases available to their fullest extent. What I mean by this is that, when I was searching for my grandmother's birth record, I had trouble finding it with her full name details. Even with her surname I was not able to turn up the result. I actually have to use her forename only and go through quite a few pages of results for her year of birth before I finally found her in the Irish birth records. It took a while, but as the records have been scanned into the system, I was able to locate and confirm her birth record certificate. Fortunately, her forename is not that common, so the task I faced was laborious, but not insurmountable.

Aside from that, you could consider the possibility that the English census information is inaccurate as to the place of birth and your grandmother may have been born elsewhere in Ireland - therefore broadening the search parameters could help.

Moreover, since you mentioned church records, I do remember reading that there was a serious fire in the records office in 1922 and a portion of records from the 19th century were lost as a consequence - especially church of Ireland birth / marriage records. However, this does not impact civil registration records and those are the ones the DFA is after for the FBR process.

As to recommending an Irish based genealogist, I looked into it and even paid one of them to compile all my family records and then post them to me in China. I think I paid Euro 450 for that service, being fully aware that it was overpriced, but hoping that the person would be competent and accelerate matters. In reality, the person was painfully slow (its not just the DFA that take a while to answer emails) and I ended up having to do the searching myself and tell them exact information for every needed certificate. They then ordered them all in the slowest (cheapest) fashion, then forgot one of them and thus had to repeat the slow (cheap) ordering process again. In the end, it just cost me 6 additional weeks of wait time compared to doing it myself and using a courier firm. I could not in good conscience recommend that organisation. However, what I will say is that since the records are housed in Dublin, someone from Dublin may work equally well rather than searching for a genealogist in that specific county.

All the best with your quest.

spiderplants

Post by spiderplants » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:19 pm

Forestier

I have an Ancestry account. I'm happy to take a look for you on there if you want to tell me the details - I presume there's a dm function on here? Hope that's not breaking any rules and totally understand if you don't want to. But taking out a month's subscription would be cheaper than a genealogist.

Good luck.

Stephen_W
Newly Registered

Post by Stephen_W » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:12 pm

I've been following this thread for some time but have never bothered until now to sign up and comment. For the benefit of the statistics being gathered, my timeline is as follows (applying through my Grandpa):

06/07/18 (Friday) - Online application completed.
14/07/18 (Saturday) - Application sent via recorded delivery from Glasgow.
17/07/18 (Tuesday) - Application delivered and signed for at Edinburgh Consulate.
23/07/18 (Monday) - Email confirmation of application submission.

I have made no further correspondence and hope no news is good news!

There were some issues in my application in that my grandpa was divorced. This wasn't confirmed and as my gran moved to England in the late 70's early 80's, this involved searching Scottish, English and Irish records. When no divorce decree could be found - and a deed poll name change from my grans married name to her second partners name was discovered - I assumed that no official divorce had taken place. Then, upon completing the online application and packaging everything up, noticed on my grandpa's death certificate it had marriage status - divorcee. The consulate were extremely fast in responding to my email and advised to send the application as is and should they require further evidence they would be in touch. So I'm happy to not have heard anything up until now, but am starting to become anxious.

StephenF & james_mcfc, I'm very near your own dates and would like to know where in the UK you applied through?

I will keep everyone posted on my progress for info.

zippy12
Newly Registered

Post by zippy12 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:54 pm

I too have been following this thread for a while, and registered today when I saw your post as your application experience is similar to mine. However, I'm not so sure that no news is good news as I submitted my application through my grandmother in March 2018. :(

I submitted my online FBR application on 14/3/18 from Glasgow to the Edinburgh consulate
and received an acknowledgement by email from them on 16/3/18.

On 19/3/18, they emailed me to ask for 3 original documents as proof of address. I'm assuming that those submitted with my application were not acceptable for some reason, as they didn't explain. I duly sent those off, (signed-for delivery) so that I would know that they had been received. They were.

I emailed them to enquire on progress on 18/7/18. They replied on 19/7/18 - "The current estimated processing time for foreign birth registration is in excess of six months"

Since then, I've heard nothing from them. I read today on their website that some (complicated) applications can take 12 months or more. I don't believe that my application falls into that category, so can only assume that the avalanche of applications triggered by Brexit has more to do with the wait time.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:41 pm

Forestier wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:23 pm
So, we are at an impasse which is so frustrating!
Does any board member know of a good geneaologist in Ireland who could help?
Ideally he/she would live in or near County Wexford.
I was in a similar situation - no official birth register entry and no baptism certificate for my Grandfather who was born in 1885. I resolved this by getting the current parish priest to issue a new Baptism certificate for him - with which I was then able to do a late registration of his birth. In order to get the priest to create a new baptism certificate, I provided him with a copy of my Grandfather's baptism register entry, which I found in an online database of old church registers which had been stored on microfiche and archived at the National Library of Ireland.

You say that you've searched all the available databases, but have you tried registering for a free account at www.familysearch.org ? This is how I found the microfiche archive in the National Library of Ireland. If you are unable to find any Baptism records for your Grandmother this way, it might also be worth contacting the current Parish Priest for the area where she was born and inquiring what sort of evidence he would need to see before issuing a new Baptism certificate. E.g. he might agree that, if your Grandmother has had a Catholic marriage and is present in the Ireland Census, that shows she would have been baptised. (This is a bit of a long shot, but no harm trying.)
brusseleir wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:10 pm
So it does indeed sound like we'd be OK with a notary / certification by one of those people, but as the DFA provides conflicting information it's not 100%
It is acceptable to use a photocopy of your passport photo page certified by a Notary. That's what I did - no problems. I am in England, and used Google to find a local registered Notary to stamp and sign the copy, which cost me approx. £20.

Stephen_W
Newly Registered

Post by Stephen_W » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:44 am

zippy12 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:54 pm
I too have been following this thread for a while, and registered today when I saw your post as your application experience is similar to mine. However, I'm not so sure that no news is good news as I submitted my application through my grandmother in March 2018. :(

I submitted my online FBR application on 14/3/18 from Glasgow to the Edinburgh consulate
and received an acknowledgement by email from them on 16/3/18.

On 19/3/18, they emailed me to ask for 3 original documents as proof of address. I'm assuming that those submitted with my application were not acceptable for some reason, as they didn't explain. I duly sent those off, (signed-for delivery) so that I would know that they had been received. They were.

I emailed them to enquire on progress on 18/7/18. They replied on 19/7/18 - "The current estimated processing time for foreign birth registration is in excess of six months"

Since then, I've heard nothing from them. I read today on their website that some (complicated) applications can take 12 months or more. I don't believe that my application falls into that category, so can only assume that the avalanche of applications triggered by Brexit has more to do with the wait time.
Reading that makes me slightly more anxious and I may well contact the consulate at the end of January if I've not heard anything by then, as this would be just over the 6 month mark.

Still kicking myself that I didn't get round to doing this sooner, the only thing that ever put me off was trying to get hold of all the evidence.

Hope you hear from them soon, and if you do, please give us an update!

davebworldwide
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by davebworldwide » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:41 am

Hello everyone,

Currently in the process of completing an application for the FBR. Just wondering if anyone had any experience or advice on the following:

Your parent’s documents (through whom you’re claiming citizenship):
*Certified/Notarised copy of the photograph page of current passport or state issued identity document (e.g. Driver's Licence)

According to the checklist, I require my Mothers' and my Grandfathers' 'current passport or ID'. Unfortunately my mum's passport and licence both expired many years ago. Will an expired passport be accepted?
And as for my Grandfather, he passed many years ago, I'm not sure if he even had a passport or ID, let alone where they could be found.

Would greatly appreciate any help or information anyone may have.
Thanks,
David.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:16 am

David

An expired photo ID will not suffice. You will need to get some form of current, officially issued photo ID for your mother. Either she will have to apply for a new passport or state issued identity card to be issued or an alternative form of photo ID could be used. What choices are available will depend on where your mother resides. In Australia, an Australian post keypass ID card or a card issued by an Australian state or territory may be acceptable. I suggest contacting the consulate concerned and asking directly regarding these or other options. I have read of older people in your mother's situation (in the UK) providing photo ID in the form of a bus pass.

Whatever form of ID you finally obtain, aside from being current, officially it needs to be notarized by a notary or certified by a consulate - that's the published guideline. In practice, it appears that the DFA may also accept certification by a person holding one of the positions that qualifies them to witness applications for FBR.

As for your grandfather, the process is much more straightforward. You merely need to obtain a copy of his death certificate. This should be a certified version from the official records office. In Ireland this is the GRO. Providing passports of deceased people is not necessary for FBR documentation.

I hope this helps.

StephenF
Newly Registered

Post by StephenF » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:16 pm

StephenF & james_mcfc, I'm very near your own dates and would like to know where in the UK you applied through?

Hi Stephen
I am on the Isle of Wight and I applied through the embassy in London I am pretty sure everyone in the UK has to do that. It does seem to take a lot longer if your applying from the UK than from America for some reason.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:51 pm

StephenF wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:16 pm

Hi Stephen
I am on the Isle of Wight and I applied through the embassy in London I am pretty sure everyone in the UK has to do that. It does seem to take a lot longer if your applying from the UK than from America for some reason.

For US applicants, the printed online application and supporting documents are sent directly to Dublin. US applicants do not send the application to an embassy which furthers the delay. If its any help, I applied from the US and my application was sent to Dublin and I recieved an email on 8/21/18 that my application was recieved. For now, still waiting.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:54 pm

brawn401 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:31 am
Michael123 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:19 pm

Brawn,

Any news? Updates?
Hey michael

Nothing yet. I’m at my 6 monthiversary today :-) my application was confirmed as received on the 2nd July.

My application was forwarded for approval on the 9th November so I imagine any day now I should hear something.

Good luck!
Brawn, any news?

davebworldwide
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by davebworldwide » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:27 am

To Sulla,

Really appreciate you prompt and detailed response. It as mainly my grandafther's passport that concerned me. As for my mum, I am close to her so an I.D or passport is obtainable.
Will check in once I get the application posted or if there's any other issues.
Thanks very much,
David.

Sulla wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:16 am
David

An expired photo ID will not suffice. You will need to get some form of current, officially issued photo ID for your mother. Either she will have to apply for a new passport or state issued identity card to be issued or an alternative form of photo ID could be used. What choices are available will depend on where your mother resides. In Australia, an Australian post keypass ID card or a card issued by an Australian state or territory may be acceptable. I suggest contacting the consulate concerned and asking directly regarding these or other options. I have read of older people in your mother's situation (in the UK) providing photo ID in the form of a bus pass.

Whatever form of ID you finally obtain, aside from being current, officially it needs to be notarized by a notary or certified by a consulate - that's the published guideline. In practice, it appears that the DFA may also accept certification by a person holding one of the positions that qualifies them to witness applications for FBR.

As for your grandfather, the process is much more straightforward. You merely need to obtain a copy of his death certificate. This should be a certified version from the official records office. In Ireland this is the GRO. Providing passports of deceased people is not necessary for FBR documentation.

I hope this helps.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:42 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:28 am
Michael123 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:01 pm

Tom, Did they keep your FBR Cert during the passport application process?
Yes. They kept all the documents associated with my passport application and returned them with my Irish passport.
Tom,

Nothing here yet.

As of today, 140 days
... or 20 weeks
... or 4 months & 18 days

Any suggestions?

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:53 pm

upliam wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:46 am
My 2 Applications end with 7884 and 7888 so we ‘should’ receive our information from Dublin about the same time as your cousin.
I will let you know when we hear anything.
Good Luck to all those waiting!
Liam, any news or updates?

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:17 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:54 pm
Brawn, any news?
Hot off the press!

There is no update :(

I am now at 193 days or 6.25 months. The wait continues!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:13 pm

brawn401 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:17 pm
[quote=Michael123 post_id=<a href="tel:1725638">1725638</a> time=<a href="tel:1546890898">1546890898</a> user_id=201133]
Brawn, any news?
Hot off the press!

There is no update :(

I am now at 193 days or 6.25 months. The wait continues!
[/quote]

Ok. Sorry and thanks. Same situation here 😩

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:37 am

Michael123 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:42 pm
Any suggestions?
I don't think there is anything you can do except wait. They do still say it may take up to six months. I guess it may be possible that they have a high volume of applications since Brexit isn't going very smoothly.

You could call. But that may just tell you if you are in the FBR, which means you just have to wait for your documents to be mailed.

emlyn
Newly Registered

Post by emlyn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 am

Hello all. The posts in this thread have been very informative, so thanks for that.

I now have everything together for the FBR application and ready to submit to the Irish Embassy in London.

First question: Has anyone hand-delivered their application to the embassy? If so, what is the process? Is there a specific desk to go to, or a specific person/team to ask for? Any good or bad experiences?

I accept that the FBR cert & other certificates will have to be posted back to me, but would rather hand-deliver the application/certificates to avoid any chance of it going missing in the post. Basically I don't want to lose my parents' marriage documentation. They married in South Africa in the 70s and replacement SA documents can take 6 months to 2 years to replace (if SA authorities can even find the record anymore, as apparently they've become very unreliable and disorganised these days).

Second question: For an application via the UK, like mine, are the Irish FBR certificate and the original/official birth/marriage/death certificates etc. returned by normal Royal Mail post? If so, can I instead enclose a special delivery envelope / sleeve, with a note requesting documentation to be returned in that? ... Again, it's about reducing the risk of losing important documents in the post!

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:54 am

Emlyn,

I submitted my application by hand, but in Beijing not London. That's the only way you can do it in China. I had to contact the embassy and make an appointment to see a consular official. The documents were then checked in front of me and ticked off on a list. That was a reassuring aspect - at least they were confirmed as being in order.

Regarding the question of secure postage, I asked about that in China and was assured that a reliable courier service would be used for document return. I imagine the situation will be the same in the UK. The Irish embassy asks us to submit all documentation and applications via registered post. It would follow that they will reciprocate. For the price of FBR they definitely should. Aside from that, there would be liability issues for them associated with conveyance of important documents by unregistered post. I'm confident they would want to obviate any lawsuits there.

I hope this helps

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:08 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:37 am
Michael123 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:42 pm
Any suggestions?
I don't think there is anything you can do except wait. They do still say it may take up to six months. I guess it may be possible that they have a high volume of applications since Brexit isn't going very smoothly.

You could call. But that may just tell you if you are in the FBR, which means you just have to wait for your documents to be mailed.
Thanks Tom!

I would be happy to call and hear what I have been entered into the FBR registry and wait for the certificate, at least I would know my current status. I just called and the automated message said “due to staff training, the phone line is not available at the moment.” Ill try again later.

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:29 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:53 pm
upliam wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:46 am
My 2 Applications end with 7884 and 7888 so we ‘should’ receive our information from Dublin about the same time as your cousin.
I will let you know when we hear anything.
Good Luck to all those waiting!
Liam, any news or updates?
Michael,
I have nothing to report. No News from Dublin.
Hoping for some good news soon!

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:20 am

Today, I received this notification from the embassy:

I am happy to tell you that your application for a Foreign Birth Registration has been approved. You are now an Irish citizen. I will be in contact with you in the coming weeks regarding your FBR certificate.

Timeline:

Online application submitted and fee paid - August 11th 2018.
Application hand submitted and documents checked at Beijing embassy - August 14th 2018
Receipt of E-mail confirming approval and entry onto FBR - January 10th 2019.

Total time between application submission and E-mail confirming FBR entry - 4 months 27 days.

For anyone curious, my FBR application number was 1473XX. I took out the last two digits for privacy. I know Michael123 is trying to figure out processing times using that.

I thought that applying from China would be relatively fast. It seems it was. There are basically just a handful of FBR applicants here, thus easing the problem of application congestion at embassies that has impacted many in Europe.

I assume I will need to wait another 2 weeks to a month for physical receipt of the FBR certificate. Then I will move on to the passport application element.

I had previously said that I would be shocked to hear anything before mid-January, given the presence of the festive season during my application timeline. I am gratified that the first day of mid- January brought me such great tidings.

I will update on further progress.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

emlyn
Newly Registered

Post by emlyn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:32 am

Sulla wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:54 am
Emlyn,

I submitted my application by hand, but in Beijing not London. That's the only way you can do it in China. I had to contact the embassy and make an appointment to see a consular official. The documents were then checked in front of me and ticked off on a list. That was a reassuring aspect - at least they were confirmed as being in order.

Regarding the question of secure postage, I asked about that in China and was assured that a reliable courier service would be used for document return. I imagine the situation will be the same in the UK. The Irish embassy asks us to submit all documentation and applications via registered post. It would follow that they will reciprocate. For the price of FBR they definitely should. Aside from that, there would be liability issues for them associated with conveyance of important documents by unregistered post. I'm confident they would want to obviate any lawsuits there.

I hope this helps
Thanks Sulla, much appreciated. It's interesting to see things from the Beijing / China perspective.

I guess I'm just trying to find out if anyone has simply rocked up at the Irish Embassy London with their FBR application (presumably that's what Royal Mail do anyway) or whether an appointment is necessary. I may give the embassy a call to clarify, although trying to avoid adding to their workload!

Would also be interested to hear how anyone in the UK received their FBR certificate and originals in the post. Although, thinking about it, my mother-in-law recently received her FBR so I could just ask her!

By the way, following your other post, congratulations on becoming an Irish Citizen! :mrgreen:

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:20 pm

Congratulations 🎈

Thank you for the notification! I am exactly 7 days behind you (8/21). I hope to hear something soon.

On a side note, I applied for my US passport on 12/28. I selected regular standard service with the estimated wait time was quoted as 4-6 weeks. I figured since it was not a renewal, a first time applicant might be longer. I recieved an email today stating that my passport has been processed, completed and shipped and a tracking number was also included. Less than 2 weeks!

Looking forward to having my FBR and getting my Irish passport.

emlyn
Newly Registered

Post by emlyn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:53 pm

emlyn wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:32 am
Would also be interested to hear how anyone in the UK received their FBR certificate and originals in the post. Although, thinking about it, my mother-in-law recently received her FBR so I could just ask her!
For anyone else interested, my mother-in-law still had the envelope which she received her FBR certificate in a few months ago. It was marked as 'Special Delivery 1pm', which is Royal Mail's fully tracked and signed for postal service. I thought that would probably be the case but good to know anyhow.