ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel to Ireland while ILR being processed but before expiry of Ancestry Visa

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

apmcmorran
Newly Registered
Canada

Travel to Ireland while ILR being processed but before expiry of Ancestry Visa

Post by apmcmorran » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:13 pm

Hello everyone.

First of all, good luck to everyone who has had extended waits on their ILR super-priority applications! I just came to this board today, because it has been 30 hours since my super-priority appointment (January 8 at 11am), feeling somewhat aggrieved that I had spent £610 extra. Seeing that people have been waiting for over a month for a process that is advertised (not to mention paid for) to take 24 hours is truly, truly outrageous, and makes me feel both worried, and lucky that I'm not in that boat (yet).

That being said, here is my situation:
a) My Ancestry Visa expires on January 24. I have to travel to Dublin for work on Friday (January 11) and I return to England on January 20. I don't want my application to count as "withdrawn". But as far as I can tell, this shouldn't be a problem, since I'm still on my Ancestry visa, and not into section 3c territory. Is this correct?

b) Even if I actually am on section 3c, is it still allowable to travel to Dublin, since the Republic of Ireland is part of the "Common Travel Area"?

Any advice is much appreciated!

PS: I've noticed that at the bottom of my UKVI Document Checklist it says "You should receive a decision on your application within 24 hours of your biometrics appointment. We will contact you if it will take longer to process your application." It doesn't look like they've been contacting anyone to tell them that there are massive delays, does it...?

zimba
Mood:

Re: Travel to Ireland while ILR being processed but before expiry of Ancestry Visa

Post by zimba » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:34 pm

As you will be readmitted with the same visa, you should be fine however section 3C is a different case. I expect you'll get your ILR before that time.
FYI common travel area technically applies only to British and Irish citizens not other nationalities. Other nationalities visiting Ireland must either be non-visa nationals or benefit from the Irish visa-waiver program. Any other nationalities must have an Irish visa to visit Ireland, even if the cross into the republic via land :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice