ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New citizenship form UKF

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sunburn
United States of America

Re: New citizenship form UKF

Post by sunburn » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:29 pm

Kuks wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:01 pm
Update:

18/12/2018 Invitation to British citizenship ceremony through e-mail.

20/12/2018 ceremony: Certificate of registration given.

Goodluck to everyone who is still in the process!! ;)
Congratulations from a UKM applicant waiting for his ceremony notice! Do you mean to say two days elapsed between getting a notice, and your actual ceremony ? How did that work - did you get to choose a time and date, or did they propose a date and give you the opportunity to reschedule if required ?

alanwar
Newly Registered
Christmas Island

Post by alanwar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:45 am

Hi Sunburn, I see your flag as being from the USA and if so I am curious as to how long you have been waiting for your invitation from your approval letter. I got my letter on Dec 16 and was dated Dec 6. I am still waiting for the ceremony invite. It is a relief to know I am approved but still frustrated waiting. Thank you, Alan

Kuks

Post by Kuks » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:13 am

sunburn wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:29 pm
Kuks wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:01 pm
Update:

18/12/2018 Invitation to British citizenship ceremony through e-mail.

20/12/2018 ceremony: Certificate of registration given.

Goodluck to everyone who is still in the process!! ;)
Congratulations from a UKM applicant waiting for his ceremony notice! Do you mean to say two days elapsed between getting a notice, and your actual ceremony ? How did that work - did you get to choose a time and date, or did they propose a date and give you the opportunity to reschedule if required ?
Hi Sunburn,
Below is a quoted part of the e-mail the British embassy sent:
“We would like to invite you to our next Citizenship Ceremony which is scheduled for 20th December, 2018 at 11:00 am.

I have attached the invitation to this email.

My apologies for this very short notice, but if you can attend and would like to attend on the scheduled date, please just confirm to me. If you cannot attend this Thursday, please contact me so that we can arrange a new appointment”.

I had other plans that day but since the holidays were approaching, I decided to go anyway and get it over with.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:06 am

alanwar wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:45 am
Hi Sunburn, I see your flag as being from the USA and if so I am curious as to how long you have been waiting for your invitation from your approval letter. I got my letter on Dec 16 and was dated Dec 6. I am still waiting for the ceremony invite. It is a relief to know I am approved but still frustrated waiting. Thank you, Alan
Hello, I was approved on Dec 18 and was contacted that day by my case worker to have FedEx pick up my supporting documents , since I had enclosed a return label with my documents. I got everything back on the 24th .

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:06 pm

Kuks wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:13 am
Hi Sunburn,
Below is a quoted part of the e-mail the British embassy sent:
“We would like to invite you to our next Citizenship Ceremony which is scheduled for 20th December, 2018 at 11:00 am.

I have attached the invitation to this email.

My apologies for this very short notice, but if you can attend and would like to attend on the scheduled date, please just confirm to me. If you cannot attend this Thursday, please contact me so that we can arrange a new appointment”.

I had other plans that day but since the holidays were approaching, I decided to go anyway and get it over with.
Sorry, I did not see this sooner! I really appreciate your copying the entire message from them. Quite nice of them to ask if you'd make a quick ceremony! It appears you're UK based, so perhaps registration/naturalization ceremonies are easier to organize. It's my understanding that foreign outposts require the certificate to be sent by diplomatic mail and a suitable quorum organized before a ceremony, so I assume it'll take a lot longer than your fortunate case!

ElMac94
United States of America

Post by ElMac94 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:13 am

sunburn wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:06 am
alanwar wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:45 am
Hello, I was approved on Dec 18 and was contacted that day by my case worker to have FedEx pick up my supporting documents , since I had enclosed a return label with my documents. I got everything back on the 24th .
I'm from the USA as well (30 minutes away from the DC embassy) and got my approval letter on 9 November, still waiting for ceremony invite. I'm terrified something's been lost somewhere along the way.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:40 pm

ElMac94 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:13 am
I'm from the USA as well (30 minutes away from the DC embassy) and got my approval letter on 9 November, still waiting for ceremony invite. I'm terrified something's been lost somewhere along the way.
Well, it appears to take about 2 months from approval to invitation for UKM/UKF registrants in the US. I wouldn't worry as yet. There have been multiple instances of people waiting 12 weeks and contacting the embassy, too. This step seems to be rather slow.

alanwar
Newly Registered
Christmas Island

Post by alanwar » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:58 pm

sunburn wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:40 pm
ElMac94 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:13 am
Well, it appears to take about 2 months from approval to invitation for UKM/UKF registrants in the US. I wouldn't worry as yet. There have been multiple instances of people waiting 12 weeks and contacting the embassy, too. This step seems to be rather slow.
Thank you for the information Sunburn, this helps level set my expectations.

I had though I read that if you don't have a ceremony after 3 months of approval then you need to redo the approval process. I am hoping that if that it takes that long and the delay is because of the embassy then I won't have to reapply.

As for me I am in the Pacific Northwest and my approval letter is dated December 6. I assume that the closest embassy is responsible for setting up the ceremonies and would have different timelines.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:03 pm

That’s not quite accurate . The approval letter tells you to wait 12 weeks before contacting your local consulate or embassy . So they themselves have set 3 months as the typical duration for this . Some people don’t hear back within that time and escalate . In rare instances they lose your certificate in the diplomatic mail and have to have another sent , which takes time. On my part I’d be surprised if I heard back from them before February .

alanwar
Newly Registered
Christmas Island

Post by alanwar » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:13 pm

Sunburn, you are right about the requirements around waiting for the invitation letter. I double checked the UKF guide and the rule is that one needs to attend the ceremony within three months of the invitation. Thank you for correcting me.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:19 pm

alanwar wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:13 pm
Sunburn, you are right about the requirements around waiting for the invitation letter. I double checked the UKF guide and the rule is that one needs to attend the ceremony within three months of the invitation. Thank you for correcting me.
You are indeed right that there's a second requirement to attend a ceremony within a time bound manner. Hopefully those of us a[[roved in Nov and Dec 2018 will get communication from our chosen consular offices soon.

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Giacomo378 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:47 am

Hi all, apologize for double posting (even though it's not the exact same post :mrgreen: ).

Has anybody applyed for his/her first passport after obtaining the certificate of registration?

I was about to do so online (the only way for me since I live abroad), but I've got a doubt I haven't solved yet.

In the "previous passport section" it states: "If the applicant has held or been included on a British passport before you must state this here. Provide the passport number below. You must send it with the application."

I'm pretty sure I was included on my late fater passport which expired in 2010 and was consequently canceled (corner cut and "cancelled" stamped on each page). Do I have to send it even if it's cancelled? What if I can't manage to find it? We're talking about a long time ago here...

I will be grateful for any help you can provide!

mercuree
Mood:
South Africa

Post by mercuree » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:26 pm

mercuree wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:36 pm
mercuree wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:06 pm
mercuree wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:29 pm
mercuree wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:18 am
  • 28 July 2018 - Received biometrics letter
  • 28 July 2018 - mailed TLSContact for appointment (as instructed in letter). No response.
  • 2 Aug 2018 - mailed TLSContact for appointment (as instructed in letter). No response.
  • 17 August biometrics appointment scheduled (finally!)
  • 20 August biometrics submitted
  • 29 October ACCEPTANCE LETTER RECEIVED!!!
So frigging happy right now!

Do I need to wait for citizenship ceremony before I can start applying for my passport?
3 Dec 2018 - Ceremony Invitation Letter received via email. I am unable to make it on the date tehy provided, replied via email and they replied within the hour saying that they would keep me informed of a new date.
HO conveniently mailed me only one day after I returned from holiday, providing a ceremony date two days from now. So finally getting that done!

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:06 pm

Giacomo378 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:47 am
In the "previous passport section" it states: "If the applicant has held or been included on a British passport before you must state this here. Provide the passport number below. You must send it with the application."

I'm pretty sure I was included on my late fater passport which expired in 2010 and was consequently canceled (corner cut and "cancelled" stamped on each page). Do I have to send it even if it's cancelled? What if I can't manage to find it? We're talking about a long time ago here...

You can't send them what you don't have. Fill in as much information as you can furnish, and that should be sufficient.

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Giacomo378 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:28 am

sunburn wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:06 pm
Giacomo378 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:47 am

You can't send them what you don't have. Fill in as much information as you can furnish, and that should be sufficient.
Thanks for your reply. My question actually is if the phrase "You must send it with the application", in the case of passports in which someone was included as a child, applies only to uncancelled passports (as for the applicant's personal uncancelled passports that must always be sent) or also to cancelled passports. The problem is that I might have it, but I don't remember where, most probably inside one of the many boxes left in a storage after my last relocation. Therefore I wonder if it would be worth it to thorouhly search it (it will take ages), and, in case I don't find it, if this could halt the obtainment of the passport....

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:15 pm

They are asking for your prior British passports, or those in which you were previously included . Since you just registered , you would have no uncanceled British ones and only the canceled ones of your father .

It’s really up to you to decide whether to search for your father’s old passports or not.

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Giacomo378 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:44 pm

sunburn wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:15 pm
They are asking for your prior British passports, or those in which you were previously included . Since you just registered , you would have no uncanceled British ones and only the canceled ones of your father .

It’s really up to you to decide whether to search for your father’s old passports or not.
But in any case even if I decide not to search it/or I can't manage to find it, I should describe everything in the "additional information" section is that what you suggest?

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:51 pm

Giacomo378 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:44 pm
But in any case even if I decide not to search it/or I can't manage to find it, I should describe everything in the "additional information" section is that what you suggest?
This is up to you. We don't know what information you are dealing with . It seems you are dealing with resolving the tradeoff between the concern of providing insufficient information vs not attempting to find hard to find paperwork. There's no easy answer to this that others can offer you.

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Giacomo378 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:20 am

sunburn wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:51 pm
Giacomo378 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:44 pm
This is up to you. We don't know what information you are dealing with . It seems you are dealing with resolving the tradeoff between the concern of providing insufficient information vs not attempting to find hard to find paperwork. There's no easy answer to this that others can offer you.
Yes I know, but actually my main problem concerns the interpretation of what's stated in the application's website, i.e. "If the applicant has held or been included on a British passport before you must state this here. Provide the passport number below. You must send it with the application." I can't understand if you have to send it even if it's cancelled (and I really can't figure out the reason for sending a cancelled passport actually). If yes, I would do all my best to find it. Most probably there's no way to know, I've also submitted an enquiry to HMPO, hope they're gonna answer.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:18 pm

There's nothing unusual about authorities requesting an older passport with relevant information included within it. There are sections within both UKF and UKM (I'm in the latter category) asking for various older passports applicable to the case.

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Giacomo378 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:28 pm

sunburn wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:18 pm
There's nothing unusual about authorities requesting an older passport with relevant information included within it. There are sections within both UKF and UKM (I'm in the latter category) asking for various older passports applicable to the case.
I see, well thanks for all your replies, you've been really helpful! Guess I'll have to start searching xD

mercuree
Mood:
South Africa

Post by mercuree » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:23 am

mercuree wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:26 pm
mercuree wrote:
mercuree wrote:
mercuree wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:29 pm
  • 17 August biometrics appointment scheduled (finally!)
  • 20 August biometrics submitted

Do I need to wait for citizenship ceremony before I can start applying for my passport?
3 Dec 2018 - Ceremony Invitation Letter received via email. I am unable to make it on the date tehy provided, replied via email and they replied within the hour saying that they would keep me informed of a new date.
HO conveniently mailed me only one day after I returned from holiday, providing a ceremony date two days from now. So finally getting that done!
Ceremony was done yesterday. I am now officially a certified British subject. Happy days! Now just to get the passport.

Lickylicki
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

New citizenship form UKF

Post by Lickylicki » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:24 am

Good morning...my question is a bit detailed but I would love and appreciate feedback...I'm currently Nigerian but have a British father who i's currently in britain...the question is am I supposed to send the original documents with the ukf form or scanned copies and If it's original would I be permitted to send my father's scanned passports and birth certificate accompanied with my own original documents ...and also please how much am I supposed to pay so I can know the amount to write on the payment form

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:48 am

Lickylicki wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:24 am
Good morning...my question is a bit detailed but I would love and appreciate feedback...I'm currently Nigerian but have a British father who i's currently in britain...the question is am I supposed to send the original documents with the ukf form or scanned copies and If it's original would I be permitted to send my father's scanned passports and birth certificate accompanied with my own original documents ...and also please how much am I supposed to pay so I can know the amount to write on the payment form
You need to send originals.

UKF costs £80.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jaffictram
Newly Registered

Post by jaffictram » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:17 pm

mercuree wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:23 am
mercuree wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:26 pm
mercuree wrote:
mercuree wrote:

Ceremony was done yesterday. I am now officially a certified British subject. Happy days! Now just to get the passport.
Congratulations. Good luck with the passport.

My son is still waiting for a ceremony date, since 5th November.