ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Good character requirement&past trouble with tube fares

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

DaisyChloe

Good character requirement&past trouble with tube fares

Post by DaisyChloe » Fri May 13, 2016 8:37 pm

Hello. I would like to ask two important questions.

1. I do not have any criminal records and have never had any conviction by court. However, once I was irresponsible and used freedom pass to travel and was caught and fortunately because of my honesty and circumstances It did not go to court and was settled by way of payment to TFL. My question is, after this unfortunate incident (which i really regretted) I applied for Permanent Residence and it was granted to me few months ago. Now I am waiting when the 12 month period will pass so that I can proceed and apply for the naturalisation(as I am a EU citizen, after receiving the PR it is a requirement that I need to wait for 12 months and only then i can apply for the naturalisation). However, my only worry is that the naturalisation application is more strict and asks about the good character. I wonder if the Home Office carry out exactly the same checks for Permanent Residence applications and for the Naturalisation applications (checks on good character)? I am slightly worried that for the Naturalisation application they will dig deeper and will find out somehow from the TFL that i have been in trouble with the fares in the past which does not look good on my good character requirement and then my application would definitely be refused. :roll:

2. My mother just had her ceremony for the british citizenship. I wonder if she can still keep her previous passport? meaning that she would hold a dual citizenship? Could someone please explain how does it work? Or as soon as you receive the British passport, do you have to send them back your previous passport that is from a different country?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Good character requirement&past trouble with tube fares

Post by CR001 » Fri May 13, 2016 8:41 pm

2. If your mothers home/birth country allows dual nationality then there is no issue. UK authorities have nothing to do with the 'other nationality passports' and don't care whether you keep them or not. It depends purely on what 'other' nationality your mother is.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri May 13, 2016 8:49 pm

DaisyChloe wrote:...

However, my only worry is that the naturalisation application is more strict and asks about the good character. I wonder if the Home Office carry out exactly the same checks for Permanent Residence applications and for the Naturalisation applications (checks on good character)? I am slightly worried that for the Naturalisation application they will dig deeper and will find out somehow from the TFL that i have been in trouble with the fares in the past which does not look good on my good character requirement and then my application would definitely be refused. :roll:

The legislation, regulations, requirements and degrees of discretion involved are quite different for confirmation of PR and the privilege of citizenship.

Somehow not paying the correct tube fare is not exactly the crime of the century and you say you have learned your lesson.

You can dig into this question here:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 05532.html

And to get into the mind of the caseworker who will weigh up and assess your case, start here with HO guidane on this vital matter:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _D_v02.pdf
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri May 13, 2016 8:53 pm

I expect you have a FPN or possibly a PCN depending on who issued it, if so, insofar as you only have one or less in the preceding 12 months prior to a naturalisation application, you should be OK. There is no requirement to declare a FPN/PCN in such cases.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

DaisyChloe

Post by DaisyChloe » Fri May 13, 2016 9:11 pm

Thank you for these links. I have read them. It seems my incident in the past was 'an out of court disposal'.
My employer carried out a criminal check before he employed me and it was clean, therefore I suspect that my record is clean (it should be as it did not go to court). Yes I have had the biggest lesson in my life and now I urge others not to dodge fares !

DaisyChloe

Post by DaisyChloe » Fri May 13, 2016 9:16 pm

Amber :
this is the text I copied from your earlier post few years ago.

Q5 - FPN

A FPN (often given for minor motoring offences such as speeding) is not a conviction and will not be grounds for refusal unless the applicant has received numerous FPNs in the last 12 months. Therefore, you should wait until you have no more one FPN in the last 12 months before applying.

If you go to court for a FPN because you do not pay the fine or you challenge the FPN and the FPN is upheld (found guilty) this will then be classed as a conviction and may lead to (at a minimum) a refusal for 3 years.

Note: penalty charge notices and notices for disorder (PCN/PND) may be considered as a FPN for the purpose of ‘Good Character’ as per section 3.7 in form AN. However, a PCN/PND should have no bearing on the application unless PCNs/PNDs are numerous. There is no specific requirement to declare a PCN.

I think FPN is not exactly what happened to me ....

DaisyChloe

Post by DaisyChloe » Fri May 13, 2016 9:18 pm

Amber - I did not quite understand. What do you mean by "depending on who issued it to you".

It was an out of court disposal I suppose and I paid specific amount to TFL and my matter did not go to court.

Daydimina
Newly Registered
Bolivia

Post by Daydimina » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Hi just a question plz. Did you desclose the penalty fare in your application for ilr ? As I have the same problem

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:10 pm

Daydimina wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:02 pm
Hi just a question plz. Did you desclose the penalty fare in your application for ilr ? As I have the same problem
This thread is 18 months old and the member hasn't visited the forum since Dec 14, 2016
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Daydimina
Newly Registered
Bolivia

Post by Daydimina » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Thanks for replying