ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for PR or wait for brexit? - Under Surinder Singh

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ljdebenedictis
Mood:
Philippines

Apply for PR or wait for brexit? - Under Surinder Singh

Post by ljdebenedictis » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:52 pm

Hi. Hope everyone is well.

This board has been the biggest part of my journey, from the EEA family permit to my residence permit. A little background:
Me and my husband met in Cyprus, I lived there with ny parents and so does he. Been together for 2 years and lived together in Cyprus, we got married in May 2014 and decided we want to move to UK..
Arrived in UK with EEA FP - June 2014
Applied for RP - August 2014
Received my RP - January 2015

So basically I can apply for PR in June 2019 (counting 5 years of continuous residence here from June 14: my arrival in UK), husband has been working ever since so no problem with that), but due to the brexit, I’m wondering if it’s worth to just wait to apply for settled status or apply for PR?

I just dont want to waste time, effort and money for PR application if I can just wait for the application of settled status.

Thank you in advance

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Re: Apply for PR or wait for brexit? - Under Surinder Singh

Post by NikiGio » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:36 am

By the time you accrue 5 years in June 2019, Settled Status will be in place - and presumably PR will be phased out. So your only option will be to apply for Settled Status anyway.
I am not an immigration lawyer. My comments are opinions, not legal advice.

ljdebenedictis
Mood:
Philippines

Post by ljdebenedictis » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Oh I see. That makes sense. Once I get the settled status, will I be eligible to apply for naturalization? Or do I need to wait for another year (5years continuous residence + 1 year) or can I apply as my husband is British?

Thank you xx

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:00 am

or can I apply as my husband is British?
This one,if you meet all the standard requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ljdebenedictis
Mood:
Philippines

Post by ljdebenedictis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:25 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:00 am
or can I apply as my husband is British?
This one,if you meet all the standard requirements.
Thank you. Just a quick question please if you dont mind..

If given a chance that I meet all the requirements for naturalization + gaining settled status in June 2019..

When can I apply? Straight away? Like in June? Obviously I need to pass the life in the UK test. Thank you. 😊

mkhan2525

Post by mkhan2525 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:02 pm

NikiGio wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:36 am
By the time you accrue 5 years in June 2019, Settled Status will be in place - and presumably PR will be phased out. So your only option will be to apply for Settled Status anyway.
The way the events are heading in parliament at the moment, I wouldn't be so sure the settled status scheme will become law. If the Withdrawal Treaty is voted down by MP'S on Tuesday, it will be scrapped unless PM gets concessions from EU that will allow her deal to pass on a second vote.

The only other way I see the citizens rights part of the Withdrawal Treaty becoming law is if we leave without a deal and that has so far been ruled out by parliament.

ljdebenedictis
Mood:
Philippines

Post by ljdebenedictis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:19 pm

mkhan2525 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:02 pm
NikiGio wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:36 am
The way the events are heading in parliament at the moment, I wouldn't be so sure the settled status scheme will become law. If the Withdrawal Treaty is voted down by MP'S on Tuesday, it will be scrapped unless PM gets concessions from EU that will allow her deal to pass on a second vote.

The only other way I see the citizens rights part of the Withdrawal Treaty becoming law is if we leave without a deal and that has so far been ruled out by parliament.
Ok. I didn’t really understand what you mean. Sorry 😞