ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried Partner with child options.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dannycaus
Newly Registered
Australia

Unmarried Partner with child options.

Post by Dannycaus » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:53 am

Hi all.

I require help / advice. I'm currently in the U.K. On a T5 (yms) visa. I'm from Australia originally. I have a 1 & 1/2 year old son with my current partner who is a UK Citizen. My son was born in the U.K. Shortly after we moved here from Australia.

I have just found out that I am unable to extend the visa I'm currently on and looking for options to stay. My current visa has 6 months left on it. My current employer has offered me a sponsored work visa but as I would have to leave the country and reapply. this is out of the question as we would likely lose the flat we rent & for financial reasons.

Looking at options for the unmarried partnership visa it says, I need to be able to prove we have been living together for 2 years. As it took about 3 weeks to get a flat when we moved over, my current visa will be expired before our 2 years of coinhabitation is provable. I Have no evidence of us living together before moving over from Australia. Will having a Son that's 1 & 1/2 and was born in the U.K. a joint bank account and rental agreement in both our names for 23months be sufficient proof we are in a long term relationship.

Or is there a better avenue / route to go down as leaving my son / partner is not an option. Struggling to find decent information anywhere online regarding this.

Thanks in advance
Danny

secret.simon

Re: Unmarried Partner with child options.

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:19 am

Dannycaus wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:53 am
My current employer has offered me a sponsored work visa but as I would have to leave the country and reapply.
If your current employer is willing to sponsor you, I think you should grab that opportunity with both hands. I think you should look at working around the issues on moving abroad as you will quite likely move back anyway.

Also, was any of your grandparents born in the UK (including the whole of Ireland before 1922)?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Dannycaus
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: Unmarried Partner with child options.

Post by Dannycaus » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Secret.simon thanks for the reply.

If it was possible to transfer from the T5 YMS to the sponsored work visa without having to leave the country I would be all for the idea. Its just I have been told that you have to leave / reapply from Australia and the processing time can be 6 - 8 weeks. This would be 6-8 weeks that I would be not earning an income and still having to pay rent in Scotland. Also the costs of flights etc. we would probably just end up moving back to Australia if this was the case.

If I was to travel to Australia on a holiday before my visa expired and apply for this sponsored work visa, then return to the UK Could I then just take a trip to Europe once T5 expired and re-enter on new visa??

Other option is the partnership visa do you think given the circumstance of me being the sole earner and having a 1& 1/2 y.o UK born son and a unmarried partner an exception could be made to the 24months co-inhabitation?

Thanks again for your help as this is an extremely difficult situation & do not want to have to leave my son / partner.