ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unable to Contact INIS/SINU

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Areeae
inactive
Canada

Spouse or Civil Partner of an Irish National

Post by Areeae » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:55 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm originally here from Canada and am here on a two-year Working Holdiay Visa that expires in October 2019. I came over here to be with my husband (who is Irish). I have an appointment with GNIB on Monday December 3rd and I'm a bit confused as to what I need. I have emailed them 4 separate times over the last 2 months only for them to email me back each time saying that they had technical difficulties and that I need to email them again. I've tried to call the Burgh Quay office to ask questions to no avail.

From what I was told in my original email about a year ago, all I need to do is attend the office with my husband and bring some documents:
- My passport & his
- Original marriage certificate
- Proof of joint address

For the proof of address, I'm not really sure what I can bring. We currently are roommates with a friend and do not have any utilities in our name. We also do not have a rental agreement. My husband has plenty documents for proof of address as he has credit card statements and bank information mailed to him. My bank account has my old Irish address on it, and when I went to update my address with them they said they they now need proof of address as well to change my address! So I cannot use my bank statements as they have the wrong address.

I have gotten mail from INIS itself in July with my new IRP card that was stolen, but it does not have a date. I was hoping that perhaps INIS would accept mail that they have sent me. My marriage certificate has a top portion of it that also has my address, but I'm not sure if they will accept that. My mobile phone bill has my address but it was not mailed as I go paperless. I do have a paystub from a previous job but I'm not sure if it's more than 6 months old now. My question is - what can I use as proof of joint address?

Also, for these types of applications, do they have a waiting time even though I'm not required to submit an application? Some people have said that they just restamp my passport and issue me a new IRP card.

Any information would be appreciated! :)

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Spouse or Civil Partner of an Irish National

Post by max307 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Areeae wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:55 pm
Hello everyone!

I'm originally here from Canada and am here on a two-year Working Holdiay Visa that expires in October 2019. I came over here to be with my husband (who is Irish). I have an appointment with GNIB on Monday December 3rd and I'm a bit confused as to what I need. I have emailed them 4 separate times over the last 2 months only for them to email me back each time saying that they had technical difficulties and that I need to email them again. I've tried to call the Burgh Quay office to ask questions to no avail.

From what I was told in my original email about a year ago, all I need to do is attend the office with my husband and bring some documents:
- My passport & his
- Original marriage certificate
- Proof of joint address

For the proof of address, I'm not really sure what I can bring. We currently are roommates with a friend and do not have any utilities in our name. We also do not have a rental agreement. My husband has plenty documents for proof of address as he has credit card statements and bank information mailed to him. My bank account has my old Irish address on it, and when I went to update my address with them they said they they now need proof of address as well to change my address! So I cannot use my bank statements as they have the wrong address.

I have gotten mail from INIS itself in July with my new IRP card that was stolen, but it does not have a date. I was hoping that perhaps INIS would accept mail that they have sent me. My marriage certificate has a top portion of it that also has my address, but I'm not sure if they will accept that. My mobile phone bill has my address but it was not mailed as I go paperless. I do have a paystub from a previous job but I'm not sure if it's more than 6 months old now. My question is - what can I use as proof of joint address?

Also, for these types of applications, do they have a waiting time even though I'm not required to submit an application? Some people have said that they just restamp my passport and issue me a new IRP card.

Any information would be appreciated! :)
On December 3rd you and your husband will need to bring the following documents to your appointment:

- Your original marriage/civil partnership certificate
- Your original passport
- Your Irish spouse’s original passport
- Evidence of your joint address

Call your bank and change your address over the phone, they won't require a proof of address over the phone and should take you only a few minutes. Once you change your bank account address print a few statements from their website (you might need to order a new statement online after the address was changed for the change to take effect).

Do you have an Irish phone number? You should be able to print statements online as well from the phone company website.

Your friend can call one of the utility (Virgin Media, gas, electricity, etc.) companies and add your name to one of the bills he/she is currently on, it should take only a few minutes over the phone and then as soon as you move out he/she can remove you again from the bill.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

Areeae
inactive
Canada

Post by Areeae » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I have called my bank to change my address but they have also told me that I need to go into a branch and do it. I'm planning to go and try and sort that out on Thursday. I do have an Irish phone number with EIR but I'm not 100% sure if they'll accept printed mobile phone statements. Regarding the utilities, they would never agree to that as the utilities are in their parent's names so that's off the table unfortunately.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:31 pm

Areeae wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:14 pm
Thanks for the reply!

I have called my bank to change my address but they have also told me that I need to go into a branch and do it. I'm planning to go and try and sort that out on Thursday. I do have an Irish phone number with EIR but I'm not 100% sure if they'll accept printed mobile phone statements. Regarding the utilities, they would never agree to that as the utilities are in their parent's names so that's off the table unfortunately.
Ok I'm not sure about your bank but I have done that with my bank every single time my address changed with no issues, didn't have to go into a branch. I can confirm that INIS will accept printed mobile phone statements.

I don't know if you have a monthly/yearly Dublin bus card or a cinema card but those are proof of address as well. A public library card can be used as proof of address as well.

Most of the time they will just ask for one proof of address at the counter and in some cases won't even bother to check but better to be prepared. Make sure you keep all those proof of address handy because you will need them when applying for Irish citizenship if you decide to do so.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

Areeae
inactive
Canada

Post by Areeae » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Hello again!

I have successfully managed to change my address on my bank account after speaking to a different bank agent. They said it may take 3-5 working days to be mailed to me so I might not receive it in time but he said I will be able to print it. Will they accept printed bank statements?

Regarding the Leap Card, I just use the regular one and top it up with the App whenever I need it.

Thank you so much :)

Areeae
inactive
Canada

Post by Areeae » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Also, do you know if these cases are a 6+ month wait like the applications are? I've been told that they'll decide right away and either stamp my passport or won't and issue a new IRP.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:01 pm

Great! I'm glad you were able to change your address over the phone. Yes, they will accept printed bank statements but you will need to order a new one after the address was changed because the existing bank statements from before will have your previous address.

Your case will be decided there and then, you will be issued a stamp on your passport and a new IRP but only because you are a non-visa required national (Canadian). If you were a visa required national you will need to go through the 6+ months application route.

Jallybean94
inactive
Canada

Spouse of Irish National

Post by Jallybean94 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:50 pm

Hello!

I've posted here on another account but it wouldn't let me long in. I apologize for the long read.

I am from Canada, here on a Working Holiday Visa that expired in October 2019. I made a GNIB to apply for residency as the spouse of an Irish National. Looked on the website, saw me and my husband just needed to attend the appointment with our passports, marriage certificate, and proof of joint address. No problem.

December 3rd came, date of my long-awaited appointment. I get called up and sent out within 5 minutes. The lady says that I need to email INISsinu instead, give them copies of my documents and tell them I want to change my permission. I sent these documents to the email, and they tell me I need to fill out an application. I asked them why because the woman never said that to me. She said it would be easy. Furthermore, my husband doesn't qualify for the application as he's still a college student and has not made €40,000 within the last 3 years. They ask me why they didn't process my Spouse of Irish National Application at my appointment. I say that I don't know and ask if it's because my my visa. No response.

I email them back today asking for an update and the woman says this:

"As you currently have legal permission to be in the State and once you held
legal permission to be in the State at the time of your marriage, then it
is simply a matter of presenting to your Local Immigration Office - you
should not need a letter from this office to change your status.

You should go back to the Immigration office in question and if you have
any difficulties please contact this office ensuring you have the name of
the office and officer in question"

I emailed her back and asked if she could confirm that I can do this on a Working Holiday Visa and haven't gotten an answer. I don't want to make another appointment just for them to send me out in the first 5 minutes. Can anyone offer some insight?

I'm getting a little worried as me and my husband may need to move to the UK instead if I can't get this sorted.
Kind regards

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Spouse of Irish National

Post by max307 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:32 pm

Jallybean94 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:50 pm
Hello!

I've posted here on another account but it wouldn't let me long in. I apologize for the long read.

I am from Canada, here on a Working Holiday Visa that expired in October 2019. I made a GNIB to apply for residency as the spouse of an Irish National. Looked on the website, saw me and my husband just needed to attend the appointment with our passports, marriage certificate, and proof of joint address. No problem.

December 3rd came, date of my long-awaited appointment. I get called up and sent out within 5 minutes. The lady says that I need to email INISsinu instead, give them copies of my documents and tell them I want to change my permission. I sent these documents to the email, and they tell me I need to fill out an application. I asked them why because the woman never said that to me. She said it would be easy. Furthermore, my husband doesn't qualify for the application as he's still a college student and has not made €40,000 within the last 3 years. They ask me why they didn't process my Spouse of Irish National Application at my appointment. I say that I don't know and ask if it's because my my visa. No response.

I email them back today asking for an update and the woman says this:

"As you currently have legal permission to be in the State and once you held
legal permission to be in the State at the time of your marriage, then it
is simply a matter of presenting to your Local Immigration Office - you
should not need a letter from this office to change your status.

You should go back to the Immigration office in question and if you have
any difficulties please contact this office ensuring you have the name of
the office and officer in question"

I emailed her back and asked if she could confirm that I can do this on a Working Holiday Visa and haven't gotten an answer. I don't want to make another appointment just for them to send me out in the first 5 minutes. Can anyone offer some insight?

I'm getting a little worried as me and my husband may need to move to the UK instead if I can't get this sorted.
Kind regards
You will need to go back to that immigration officer, she clearly made a mistake and wasted your time and an appointment that probably took you a lot of hassle to get. According to their own website she’s clearly wrong!

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

As a Canadian citizen you and your spouse just need to attend INIS with the following documentation:

- Your original marriage/civil partnership certificate
- Your original passport
- Your Irish spouse’s/civil partner’s original passport
- Evidence of your joint address

It doesn’t matter if you are on a Working Holiday Visa, it doesn’t matter if you walk out of the plane and go straight to INIS.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:46 pm

I wouldn't bother waiting for another 10 weeks and hunting for another appointment. Just go to INIS in the morning, preferably wait there before 9am. Go to the information desk in window 1 (or 15?) and tell them that you had an appointment previously, that you were sent out incorrectly by an officer and you have had clarification from the officials that you should be able to register. If you are nice enough, they should be able to just give you a ticket on the spot. Printing out your previous appointment details and the email correspondence you had with INIS would also help.

Jallybean94
inactive
Canada

Post by Jallybean94 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:38 am

I'm honestly unsure because the woman I had at my appointment said "You know you're supposed to leave with this visa right?"

I feel like I can't change my permission on a Working Holiday Visa. I'm hoping that INIsinu will email me back on Monday and give me an answer.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:55 pm

Jallybean94 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:38 am
I'm honestly unsure because the woman I had at my appointment said "You know you're supposed to leave with this visa right?"

I feel like I can't change my permission on a Working Holiday Visa. I'm hoping that INIsinu will email me back on Monday and give me an answer.
Yes you can, as I said before you can even fly in from Canada and go from Dublin airport to INIS with your Irish spouse and get a Stamp 4.

Working Holiday Visa does not make a difference, print the link I provided before and bring it to them. It doesn’t mention Working Holiday Visa anywhere!

Jallybean94
inactive
Canada

Post by Jallybean94 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:52 pm

They still have not emailed me back. All of my other questions have been answered within a day or two but when I ask them to confirm whether my Working Holiday Visa can be upgraded, they do not respond. This is the second time it has happened.

Jallybean94
inactive
Canada

Post by Jallybean94 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:13 pm

Also, it does not specifically mention a Working Holiday Visa but it does mention Short Stay visas, which could be what mine is classed under as it is only good for 2 years.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Short Stay = Type C visit visa, which is usually 3-6 months with no rights to work.

Anyway, why not just paying the Burgh Quay office another visit with the email correspondence you have from INIS previously? Apparently don't mention that they have yet to confirm whether Working Holiday visa is eligible. Just show them the email from INIS which mentioned that you should be seen on the day in your first appointment.

Areeae94
Newly Registered
Canada

Unable to Contact INIS/SINU

Post by Areeae94 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:48 pm

Hello there!

I've posted here two times and both times I've had to make a new account due to my passwords not working and being unable to log back in.

Anyways. I've been having an ongoing issue with Immigration since the 3rd of December 2018. Long story short, they sent me out of my appointment to apply for residency on the basis of Spouse to an Irish National. Sent me to the Spouse of Irish National unit who, after a lengthy discussion, sending pictures of my visa, told me on the 19th of December that "They have now followed this matter up with the Immigration Registration Office and they will be in touch with you over the coming days to organize an appointment for early January."

It is now January 9th and I have heard nothing. I have replied to that email sent to me on the 28th of December, the 4th of January and the 8th of January with no response. I have also emailed INIS directly regarding this but they take 15+ working days to email back. I cannot go into the office here in Dublin as I work during the day and they never help you out anyways. My work is waiting for me to get back to them so that they can move my schedule around to accomodate this appointment. I have tried calling the Burgh Quay office but they never answer.

I am moving to Cork on the 2nd of February and I would have liked to have this sorted before then, but who knows!

Does anyone know what I can do - is there another number I can call? I couldn't find any online.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Unable to Contact INIS/SINU

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:55 pm

I've posted here two times and both times I've had to make a new account due to my passwords not working and being unable to log back in.
Useful to state what the other usernames are :idea:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Areeae94
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Areeae94 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:06 pm

You are correct! Other usernames are Areeae and Jallybean94.

I was denied a permission change as I'm here on a Working Holiday Visa and was told at my appointment to email SINU to change my permission and they said my permission should have been changed at my appointment and after confirming that my permission could be changed as I'm a non-visa required national here on my own permission, they said they'd follow it up and I'd get another appointment. Nothing yet. :/

Areeae94
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Areeae94 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:47 pm

Any ideas how I can contact them? I've been waiting since December 19th with no responses to any of my emails. :(

Areeae94
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Areeae94 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Bump

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:57 pm

As I suggested earlier, don't waste time doing any further email exchanges. Someone from INIS has already replied that you are eligible, so just go to the office with that. Print out that email and your previous appointment, and tell the staff that you were wrongfully dismissed by another staff last time, it negatively affected your work and you need it sorted ASAP.

Burgh Quay office opens between 8 (or 9?) am and 9pm. You can't be working 12 hours every day? Even if you really do, or if your employer is not being helpful, you still have to go there.

Areeae94
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Areeae94 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:46 pm

Hello again

I'm on late shift next week so me and my husband will go there first thing Monday morning. The last time I went in around 7pm and they don't me they don't answer questions without appointments after 6pm

Areeae94
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Areeae94 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:44 pm

Update: I got my stamp 4 today! Woo!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:01 pm

Congrats! It just shows how incompetent some of the staff are at their work!

Areeae94
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Areeae94 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Thanks! The manager even said "it sometimes gets crazy around here so I apologize!" And while I get that may be acceptable in places such as coffee shops etc, not at your immigration office where appointments take you months to get! I got the same woman who denied me initially and she barely spoke one word to me. :?