ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

andyinflitwick
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by andyinflitwick » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:50 pm

Frustrated here and wondering if anyone could give me some advice please.

I posted my FBR1 form and supporting evidence to the London Embassy by recorded delivery and it was received on the 1st August 2018. Since then I've heard nothing until Friday when I received an email stating "Your application and supporting documentation for your application for Foreign Birth Registration has now been received. Applications can take up to 6 months to process and we will be in touch with you should we require any additional documentation or clarifications."

From the email, it would appear that the Embassy in London has sat on these documents for nearly five and a half months.

I can see that many people have commented on delays submitting via London but this seems excessive. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm wondering if I will really now have to wait another six months?

Thanks and best regards,

Andy

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:35 pm

I would suggest asking Brawn. Last I heard, he was at 6.25 months.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Re: I'm now an Irish citizen!

Post by PasadenaTom » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:30 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:13 pm
Tom, did you submit 2 or 4 photographs for the FBR?
Two with the FBR application, and four with the passport application (two of which were returned with my passport).

Interestingly, my FBR photos were taken at a CVS, and the passport photos by a professional photographer. The CVS photos were better. The pro's printer left some funny marks on two copies that I did not originally notice. Fortunately, it did not cause a problem.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: I'm now an Irish citizen!

Post by Michael123 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:38 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:30 pm
Michael123 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:13 pm
Tom, did you submit 2 or 4 photographs for the FBR?
Two with the FBR application, and four with the passport application (two of which were returned with my passport).

Interestingly, my FBR photos were taken at a CVS, and the passport photos by a professional photographer. The CVS photos were better. The pro's printer left some funny marks on two copies that I did not originally notice. Fortunately, it did not cause a problem.
Ok, the application still only has 2 squares for the photos to be placed in.

Also the newer applications have a PO box to mail to, mine listed a street address as Im sure yours did as well.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:50 am

PasadenaTom wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:37 am
Michael123 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:42 pm
Any suggestions?
I don't think there is anything you can do except wait. They do still say it may take up to six months. I guess it may be possible that they have a high volume of applications since Brexit isn't going very smoothly.

You could call. But that may just tell you if you are in the FBR, which means you just have to wait for your documents to be mailed.

I was finally able to get through to Dublin. I was told my application is still in line for processing and not to expect anything untl mid Feb at the earliest. Which doesnt make sense to me, last week an application was just processed that was received in Dublin exactly a week before mine.

GSP666
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by GSP666 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:00 am

I submitted my FBR in August via the embassy in London.

On 28-08-18, I received an email stating my application had been received and processing would take up to 6 months.

On 17 December I began to get a little impatient so completed a request for an update via the DFA online contact form. To date I have received no response.

Today, 14-01-19, I decided to phone the DFA and enquire at what stage my application was. Disappointingly I was informed that it has not even been checked yet and nothing has happened with it since I submitted the application :-(

I was then told that it should be checked at some point towards the end of February and that, if all is deemed ok, I will be entered onto the register within two weeks. So my timeline is that in 4.5 months, literally nothing has happened.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:06 am

Michael123,

That's really disappointing. To be candid, it just doesn't seem to add up at all. We saw applications by Sean and Spav processed far faster. Moreover, my own application was approved more swiftly and I went through an embassy. Did you mention these other cases to them when you called?

Unless your application has something unusual that renders it "complex" in their terminology, it is hard to see any justification for the delay. A few days to a week difference is understandable, but not over a month.

Upliam, you applied around the same time as Michael, have you heard anything at all?

Let's hope that they are in the under-promising and over-delivering camp.

Koolboy
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Koolboy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:31 pm

TO
ANDYINFLITWICK & GSP666
I sent off my documents by special delivery to London Embassy on 15 July 2018 and checked on Royal mail that it was delivered on the next day. I email London embassy for the confirmation of my documents in August. Received response on 2 August 2018 that they received my documents on 17th July and will take upto 6 months. I started to count every second. Then I called DFA on 20 November to asked any update they gave me heart attack to update that they recently received my application and it will take upto 6 months. I forgot about that. Today I called them again asking any update they replied that they received my application 2 months ago and it will take upto 4 more months now. So I am assuming that UK applicants are not on their priority Or it's the London embassy who makes all delays.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:21 pm

Yes, I mentioned others were posting a turn around time of 4.5 months and that I am almost at 5. His reply was only that I should not expect anything until Mid Feb

I think they are only quoting the 6 month times as a standard.

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Sulla;
I have not heard anything from Dublin.
Yes, my application was received in Dublin a 1 or 2 days after Michael123.
Hoping for good news soon.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:17 pm

upliam wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:03 pm
Sulla;
I have not heard anything from Dublin.
Yes, my application was received in Dublin a 1 or 2 days after Michael123.
Hoping for good news soon.
Application recieved on Aug 14 was processed last week. Application received 7 days later on Aug 21 will be processed in Mid Feb, Liams application recieved 1 day later, on Aug 22 will be processed at the end of June. 🤣. No rhyme or reason to any of this. I think they are only quoting the standard 6 month processing.

spiderplants

Post by spiderplants » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:47 pm

GSP666 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:00 am

On 28-08-18, I received an email stating my application had been received and processing would take up to 6 months.

On 17 December I began to get a little impatient so completed a request for an update via the DFA online contact form. To date I have received no response.

Today, 14-01-19, I decided to phone the DFA and enquire at what stage my application was. Disappointingly I was informed that it has not even been checked yet and nothing has happened with it since I submitted the application :-(

I was then told that it should be checked at some point towards the end of February and that, if all is deemed ok, I will be entered onto the register within two weeks. So my timeline is that in 4.5 months, literally nothing has happened.

I don't imagine they do much at all for the first 4 months or so due to the backlog. So, I would think this is all still within their predicted timelines.

I do wonder if the imminence of 29 March has focussed more minds to apply now?

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:15 pm

spiderplants wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:47 pm
GSP666 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:00 am

I don't imagine they do much at all for the first 4 months or so due to the backlog. So, I would think this is all still within their predicted timelines.

I do wonder if the imminence of 29 March has focussed more minds to apply now?

I was thinking the same. The phone phone linea were down last week for training, maybe they have more employees to process applications now?

Laurie9434

Post by Laurie9434 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:06 am

Hi Everyone,

My application with supporting documentation was received Aug. 15. I haven’t heard anything since. Some of us seem to be around the same timeframe now. I’ll skip e-mailing them since that doesn’t seem to be efficient. I’m going to give them a call tomorrow and see what information I can get. I’ll post what I find out!

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:43 am

The DFA evidently planned really poorly for the surge in applications that emerged in the wake of Brexit and to a lesser extent after Trump's election. It's understandable that they did not predict these outcomes and the resulting uptick in application volume. What is less easy to comprehend (or excuse) is why their response has been so poor. It has been 2.5 years since the referendum vote in the UK and that ought to have been more than enough time to have brought more people on board to help process FBR and passport applications in a timely manner. The fact that this does not seem to have occurred reflects very poorly on the organisation and its leadership.

The London embassy, in particular, is notorious for extensive delays. Despite being a UK citizen and having the documentation necessary to apply from there, I opted to submit my FBR application in China - due to the horror stories I read about timescales in the UK. I am relieved to have made that choice.

The habit of the London embassy of classifying the date they open their mail as the date it was received and therefore the application start date is ridiculous. The date they receive the application by registered mail should be taken as the date the application timeline commences. They cannot say that it begins when they get around to opening it. That notion is completely absurd and it is not a principle that pertains to the treatment of any other legal documents in the UK or Ireland.

Having read a few posts from victims of this situation recently, I would suggest that if you are about to apply for FBR in the UK, try to submit the application via the mechanism of making an appointment to see an embassy official and dropping it off in person. If you succeed in doing this, it is likely to cut months off your overall wait time.

GSP666
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by GSP666 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:54 am

Ultimately there is no need for urgency on the DFAs side. They been paid so they can afford to take their time. And to be honest, I’m not worried that it is taking a long time as I do not need the FBR for anything urgent. What does frustrate me is that they openly admit they received the application and have not looked at it in 4.5 months. The chap I spoke to said that as far as he could see, none of my submitted documents have been checked. Does that mean that when they do check, they will then contact me requesting up to date proof of address info? I will post updates as and when I have anything new.

Forestier
Newly Registered

Post by Forestier » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:23 am

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Does a UK applicant have to apply via the London Embassy or can one send the application to Dublin?

Thanks

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Laurie9434 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:06 am
Hi Everyone,

My application with supporting documentation was received Aug. 15. I haven’t heard anything since. Some of us seem to be around the same timeframe now. I’ll skip e-mailing them since that doesn’t seem to be efficient. I’m going to give them a call tomorrow and see what information I can get. I’ll post what I find out!
Any news? Mine arrived on 8/21 so Im very curious as to what they had told you, something good I hope!

bostonceltics
Newly Registered

Post by bostonceltics » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:31 pm

bostonceltics wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:23 pm
My Final update :

8th July: Applied online : 8th July
20th July: Documents Received by London Embassy
7th November : E-mail from DFA requesting clarification re: marriage cert (Grandmother) and additional document
8th November : Additional Documents Sent to DFA in Ireland
12th November: Documents Received by DFA
15th November : E-mail from DFA confirming application approved and forwarded for FBR certificate printing
6th December : Certificate arrived in the post (via London Embassy)

5 Months in total :)

It did not arrive with a passport application form but I read earlier that PasadenaTom had requested a passport form before getting the certificate. I requested a form from London Embassy when Dublin advised I was confirmed in the register and the passport form arrived on the 4th Dec. So, I would recommend that once you get the e-mail confirmation of FBR entry, that you contact your embassy for a passport form.

All the best to those still awaiting, particularly Michael123.
Hi,

Since the above, I had my Irish Passport (APS2) form witnessed on 10th January and I sent it to Cork the same day.

It has been received today according to the Royal Mail /An Post tracking info. It just needs to go on to the Passport Tracker. Does anyone know how long it takes for it to appear ? (I guess it is a case of somebody opening the envelope and scanning the barcode).

bostonceltics
Newly Registered

Post by bostonceltics » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:37 pm

Forestier wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:23 am

Does a UK applicant have to apply via the London Embassy or can one send the application to Dublin?

Thanks
There isn't a choice for the UK and for England, it is via the London Embassy (I think for Scottish applicants the paperwork gets sent to Edinburgh) . You initially apply online on the FBR website and when you print out the form for it be witnessed, it directs you to send the application and supporting documentation to London. I think for some of the other countries it directs the applicant to send directly to Dublin.

danmur
Newly Registered

Post by danmur » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 pm

Hello all,

Been reading for a while and thought I would post my timeline and see if anyone is similar or if it helps anyone out!

22/08/18 - Online application completed + sent to Edinburgh.
28/08/18 - Email from Edinburgh consulate asking for an additional part of my parents wedding certificate.
22/11/18 - Sent an email asking for an update
5/12/18 - received an email from DFA with the standard “The current estimated turnaround for foreign birth registration is six months”

Thinking of leaving it until end of February if I haven’t heard anything and give them a phone to see if there is any progress!

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:13 pm

Forestier wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:23 am

Thanks
Probably, you will be limited to submitting the application to the Embassy or Consulate that serves your part of the UK. This may not be London if you reside in Scotland, but the turnaround times for the Scottish missions are similarly unimpressive.

If, however, you own investment properties or do regular business in other nations,or just have homes overseas you use at different times of year, you may well be able to procure the necessary verifications and materials from there. By this I mean a witness and 3 proofs of address.

I hope this helps

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:39 pm

[quote=bostonceltics post_id=1728947 time=1547562705 user_id=204921]
[quote=bostonceltics post_id=1714046 time=1544124203 user_id=204921]
Hi,

Since the above, I had my Irish Passport (APS2) form witnessed on 10th January and I sent it to Cork the same day.

It has been received today according to the Royal Mail /An Post tracking info. It just needs to go on to the Passport Tracker. Does anyone know how long it takes for it to appear ? (I guess it is a case of somebody opening the envelope and scanning the barcode).

Bostonceltics,
Here is my timeline for APS2E Irish Passport Application submitted August 2018;

19-06-2018: Passport APS2E Application Sent to Chicago Consulate with required Certificates.
20-06-2018: Confirmed Delivery of Passport Application to Irish Consulate in Chicago.
27-06-2018: Application arrives in Dublin, the Passport Tracker shows application is being “Reviewed” with an estimated completion date of 07/08/2018.
07-08-2018: Status Changed to PRINTING!
08-08-2018: Status Changed to DISPATCHED! (from Dublin back to Chicago Consulate office)
13-08-2018: Email from Fed Ex with Tracking Number from Chicago Office to my home. Adult Signature Required.
14-08-2018: Passport Delivered.

Entire Process took Exactly 8 Weeks from the day I sent my application to the Chicago Consulate until the Irish Passport arrived at my home via Fed Ex.

I did check the online ‘Passport Tracker’ a few times between 27/06/18 and 07/08/18, but the Estimated Completion date was always 07/08/18. No delays.

It would be helpful if the FBR Application Process had a similiar On-line Tracker for FBR Applications.
I currently have 2 FBR Applications 'pending' for my sons.

Best of Luck on your Passport Application!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:24 am

Laurie9434 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:06 am
Hi Everyone,

Where did ya go? Looking forward to hearing what they told you.

ricky7384
Newly Registered

Post by ricky7384 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:26 am

Hi all,
I've been watching from the shadows. Come to join the fight.

application number xxx445 confirmed received by london 6th July 2018.

not heard anything. I'm 11 days over 6 months maximum period. I phoned yesterday (waited 30mins to get through) and told my application has been sent away for final approval. No time limit given just told "not too long".

Obviously loads of Brits had the same idea at the same time. All bets are off.