ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Citizenship- Quick question on English Language requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Swati Trikha
Newly Registered

Applying for British Citizenship- Quick question on English Language requirement

Post by Swati Trikha » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi,
I am a UK resident and my status is indefinite leave to remain in UK. I am now in the process of applying for UK citizenship.
I have a query on the English Language requirement. When I came on spouse visa in 2012, I came on the basis of EILTS test with an overall band score of 7.5. However, in March 2014 when I applied for indefinite Leave to remain, I again applied for Cambridge English Level 1 Certificate in ESOL international. I was awarded with Pass with Distinction demonstrating an ability at Level 1. This was accepted for my ILR.

My query is if the above English language Level 1 certificate from Cambridge be sufficient, even though it is no longer in the list of recognised English qualifications. Would I have to reapply for English language test? On the website it does state the following:

"Applying for citizenship
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying for citizenship and it was accepted when you settled in the UK.

It does not matter if the B1 level test you took is not on the current list of recognised tests. You do not need to take another test."

I am still concerned and would like someone to assure me if the English language requirement would be met for my citizenship.

Please prompt advise would be helpful.

Thank you in advance
Regards
Swati

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Applying for British Citizenship- Quick question on English Language requirement

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:19 pm

The quote refers to B1 test - Is yours a B1 test certificate?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Swati Trikha
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for British Citizenship- Quick question on English Language requirement

Post by Swati Trikha » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:20 pm

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. Yes it was B1 level certificate.
Regards
Swati

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:27 pm

Swati Trikha wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:20 pm
Hi,
Thank you for your reply. Yes it was B1 level certificate.
Regards
Swati
In that case you you can use it.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:37 pm

Note that HO might ask you to submit another test as ESOL was removed and is no longer accepted. Some members have had to redo IELTS SELT after HO asked for a new test.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:21 am

In my opinion it's best to take a new test. You obviously have no problem with English and paying £150 for the test gives you peace of mind. Also, bear in mind, the HO now regard the test certificate to be valid for two years only.

Swati Trikha
Newly Registered

Post by Swati Trikha » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi,

Thank you so much for looking into my query.
I will take your advice on board.

Regards
Swati