ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of residency question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kjk13
Newly Registered

Proof of residency question

Post by kjk13 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:47 am

Hi all,

I’m currently in the process of applying for naturalisation as a non-EEA (South Korean) citizen. I’ve been here for 11 years (10 years tier 4 + 1 year with ILR).

Regarding proof of residency, the online form says:

“If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments, or other Government Departments indicating your presence in the United Kingdom during the relevant period.

If you are an Non-EEA National, you need to include your passport to prove you have lived in the UK for the past 5 years”.

1. Does this mean that as a non-EEA national, I just need to submit all of my passports with the entry stamps to prove residency? Should I also get status letters from my university and submit my degree from my
previous institution to prove that I’ve been residing here?

Just another clarification in terms of residency dates, previous addresses and absences from the UK, the online form asks for details from the past 5 years. However, I’ve read in some places that this means 5 years + 1 year with ILR.

2. Could someone please clarify whether it is 5 years in total (4 years + 1 year with ILR) or 6 years in total (5 years + 1 year with ILR)?

Many thanks in advance!

mtsgill
Mood:

Re: Proof of residency question

Post by mtsgill » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:15 am

1. As a non-EEA National you only need to submit your current/previous passports showing entry/departure stamps. University letter confirming student status is not required as long as you have ILR to confirm your status.
The form requires you to declare all addresses you lived at (in the uk) in the past 5 years.

2. I’m not sure what exactly you want to ask, but if it’s eligibility for naturalisation, yes you need to hold ILR status for at least 1 year (ILR may have been obtained using any route).

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:30 am

I agree with mtsgill.

1. Passport(s) only are required for your proof of residence.

2. The 5-year list of addresses is not related to your route to ILR or your proof of residence. I only need 3-years residence in UK to qualify for BC, but still have to input 5 years of addresses.

kjk13
Newly Registered

Post by kjk13 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:23 am

Thank you very much mtsgill and johnhkg! Your replies are very much appreciated.

mtsgill, I think I understand already that it’s 5 years in total, but what I wanted to ask in question 2 was: do I need to input addresses/ absences from the UK for 5 years (4 years qualifying + 1 year with ILR) or 6 years (5 years qualifying + 1 year with ILR) in total?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:26 am

kjk13 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:23 am
Thank you very much mtsgill and johnhkg! Your replies are very much appreciated.

mtsgill, I think I understand already that it’s 5 years in total, but what I wanted to ask in question 2 was: do I need to input addresses/ absences from the UK for 5 years (4 years qualifying + 1 year with ILR) or 6 years (5 years qualifying + 1 year with ILR) in total?
It is the 5 years immediately before your date of application for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kjk13
Newly Registered

Post by kjk13 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:42 pm

Thank you very much CR001. That was the clarification I was looking for. Hope you have a good evening :D