ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Dave12560
BANNED
Hong Kong

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by Dave12560 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:08 am

yes been told that thay strugling to find upload doucment on syestem

jgreen6123
BANNED
Christmas Island

Post by jgreen6123 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:28 am

Dave12560 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:08 am
yes been told that thay strugling to find upload doucment on syestem
Let me guess... your friend? Did he also not tell you that all applications submitted via the new system will take at least 6 months? :mrgreen:

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:39 am

So I had my appointment yesterday. I used one of the core centers so the appointment was "free".

I had already uploaded my documents so they had to just check it. Once I got there had to wait around for a bit and then they took my biometrics.

After that they called me to one of the booths, checked my originals. Uploaded some of them again - not sure why. The guy was like so mysterious about what or why he was doing even though I was asking him. 

One thing to take which doesn't say on the website is take an address proof with you like a bill or license. I had read it on other forums so I was prepared but its not very clear from either HO or sopra setria websites.

He then said that I should hear back within 6-8 weeks which I find hard to believe but will be nice if it happens. He said there will be no email confirmation.

Fingers crossed, it goes smoothly and I hear soon.

makky86
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by makky86 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:37 am

bookerw100 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:39 am
So I had my appointment yesterday. I used one of the core centers so the appointment was "free".

I had already uploaded my documents so they had to just check it. Once I got there had to wait around for a bit and then they took my biometrics.

After that they called me to one of the booths, checked my originals. Uploaded some of them again - not sure why. The guy was like so mysterious about what or why he was doing even though I was asking him. 

One thing to take which doesn't say on the website is take an address proof with you like a bill or license. I had read it on other forums so I was prepared but its not very clear from either HO or sopra setria websites.

He then said that I should hear back within 6-8 weeks which I find hard to believe but will be nice if it happens. He said there will be no email confirmation.

Fingers crossed, it goes smoothly and I hear soon.
I had thought this new service would bring more real time tracking etc. Its going in dark age instead !

I didn't get any correspondence as well.
II Youths a stuff neve endures II

skyscraper101

Post by skyscraper101 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:17 pm

I went to UKVCAS Croydon and I took pretty much every available document there. Even ones I'd already scanned, but also months of phone bills, council tax statements, water, electric, tenancy etc etc. All for residence proof. Many of which had been used for the previous ILR application, just for safety.

It was literally a stack of paperwork. And I'm always minded that it's better to have too much than too little.

But I did feel sorry for the woman who's job it was to scan everything, so I offered her - if she wanted - to just recommend me which ones she wanted to scan because, presumably she'd know better than me what the usual requirement is. She was like 'I can't (or not allowed to) advise you, it's up to you if you choose not to submit anything' - which then made me think OK well scan everything. I said I just felt sorry she literally had to feed through and unpick dozens of stapled docs and scan them and it took ages, and she was all like 'yeah its ok its my job' - she even said it was a normal amount compared to the stacks of documents some people bring.

There wasn't even a chair to sit in while I watched her manually feeding statement after statement through the machine - It took well over half an hour.

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:22 pm

skyscraper101 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:17 pm
I went to UKVCAS Croydon and I took pretty much every available document there. Even ones I'd already scanned, but also months of phone bills, council tax statements, water, electric, tenancy etc etc. All for residence proof. Many of which had been used for the previous ILR application, just for safety.

It was literally a stack of paperwork. And I'm always minded that it's better to have too much than too little.

But I did feel sorry for the woman who's job it was to scan everything, so I offered her - if she wanted - to just recommend me which ones she wanted to scan because, presumably she'd know better than me what the usual requirement is. She was like 'I can't (or not allowed to) advise you, it's up to you if you choose not to submit anything' - which then made me think OK well scan everything. I said I was just feel sorry she literally had to feed through and unpick stapled docs and scan them' and it took ages, and she was all like 'yeah its ok its my job' - she even said it was a normal amount compared to the stacks of documents some people bring.

There wasn't even a chair to sit in while I watched her manually feeding statement after statement through the machine - It took well over half an hour.
As much as I want to , I just don't feel sorry for any of these companies. They charge so much and their staff is still so untrained. Individual employees aside, I have had so many times where the worker has had a chip on the shoulder for some reason. Mate you are just a courier service bnehave that way. I know of course there are many nice ppl who work in these companies but after dealing with visa applications for over 11 years, I have lost all empathy.

thats not a rant towards the poster of course :)

skyscraper101

Post by skyscraper101 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:26 pm

bookerw100 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:22 pm
skyscraper101 wrote:

But I did feel sorry for the woman who's job it was to scan everything, so I offered her - if she wanted - to just recommend me which ones she wanted to scan because, presumably she'd know better than me what the usual requirement is. She was like 'I can't (or not allowed to) advise you, it's up to you if you choose not to submit anything' - which then made me think OK well scan everything. I said I was just feel sorry she literally had to feed through and unpick stapled docs and scan them' and it took ages, and she was all like 'yeah its ok its my job' - she even said it was a normal amount compared to the stacks of documents some people bring.

As much as I want to , I just don't feel sorry for any of these companies. They charge so much and their staff is still so untrained. Individual employees aside, I have had so many times where the worker has had a chip on the shoulder for some reason. Mate you are just a courier service bnehave that way. I know of course there are many nice ppl who work in these companies but after dealing with visa applications for over 11 years, I have lost all empathy.

Sure, she was actually pretty pleasant. And the appointment was free.

It's just a shame they're not part of the Home Office, because they'd save a lot of time if they could run through the docs and make a spot decision on what would be enough to satisfy the requirements.

Konsog

Post by Konsog » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:31 pm

bookerw100 wrote:

I actually noticed this "8 week" estimate on the checklist that you download after you've completed the online application.

Towards the end of that document, at least the one that I downloaded, it says: "You should receive a decision on your application within 8 weeks of your biometrics appointment. We will contact you if it will take longer to process your application."

But yes, judging by some of the timelines, I'm not sure how likely it is that this deadline is being met.

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:34 pm

skyscraper101 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:26 pm
bookerw100 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:22 pm
skyscraper101 wrote:

Sure, she was actually pretty pleasant. And the appointment was free.

It's just a shame they're not part of the Home Office, because they'd save a lot of time if they could run through the docs and make a spot decision on what would be enough to satisfy the requirements.
Its free at the point of service but they are getting paid somehow, otherwise why would they take the contract. So its probably coming out of fees and taxes.

I guess for naturalisation , they want to carry out detailed checks as they are making you a citizen. Although agree it should be in house but that's probably not possible due to lack of resources.
But as a minimum you should be able to track your application, what times are we living in as someone posted above!

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:35 pm

Konsog wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:31 pm
bookerw100 wrote:

I actually noticed this "8 week" estimate on the checklist that you download after you've completed the online application.

Towards the end of that document, at least the one that I downloaded, it says: "You should receive a decision on your application within 8 weeks of your biometrics appointment. We will contact you if it will take longer to process your application."

But yes, judging by some of the timelines, I'm not sure how likely it is that this deadline is being met.
yes you are right, mine also says 8 weeks , would be nice if we receive it but am sceptical.

Dave12560
BANNED
Hong Kong

Post by Dave12560 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:47 pm

bookerw100 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:35 pm
Konsog wrote:
bookerw100 wrote:

yes you are right, mine also says 8 weeks , would be nice if we receive it but am sceptical.
its say u should and thats not mean u wil

DocKnow
Sri Lanka

Post by DocKnow » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Dave12560 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:47 pm
bookerw100 wrote:
Konsog wrote:
bookerw100 wrote:

Dear moderators,

Can I please request that you ban user Dave12560? I don't know about the others but, personally, I don't want to visit a forum that is spammed by scaremongering, rumor-spreading trolls.

Thanks.

jafarkuku
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by jafarkuku » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:35 pm

DocKnow wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:03 pm
Dave12560 wrote:
bookerw100 wrote:
Konsog wrote:

Dear moderators,

Can I please request that you ban user Dave12560? I don't know about the others but, personally, I don't want to visit a forum that is spammed by scaremongering, rumor-spreading trolls.

Thanks.
I agree please ban him. He has done nothing but incite panic!

AnnaMay
Newly Registered

Post by AnnaMay » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:41 pm

Hello everyone,

Me and my family have applied for naturalisation through new UKCVAS service in December.
We could not get free appointment so payed £300 for 3 of us.

The question is:
How can we truck the progress on the application please? I have tried to find through the UKCVAS website nothing is there same at gov.uk

Thanks

Desiboy4you
BANNED

Post by Desiboy4you » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:48 pm

DocKnow wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:03 pm
Dave12560 wrote:
bookerw100 wrote:
Konsog wrote:

Dear moderators,

Thanks.
he’s not done nothing he only told tru dicknoo

shankar981
Mood:

Post by shankar981 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:01 pm

There you go!
Desiboy4you is supporting Dave12560 within 4 minutes after joining the group :)
Nice try Dave12560 a.k.a Desiboy4you

rpaw
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by rpaw » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:29 pm

shankar981 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:01 pm
There you go!
Desiboy4you is supporting Dave12560 within 4 minutes after joining the group :)
Nice try Dave12560 a.k.a Desiboy4you
Haha well done Shankar981

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:33 pm

Can members now get back on track and stop posting regarding the user that has been banned otherwise the topic will be locked. There is no reason to be disrespectful towards any member (banned or not), as the forum rules clearly state.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:45 pm

skyscraper101 wrote:

But I did feel sorry for the woman who's job it was to scan everything, so I offered her - if she wanted - to just recommend me which ones she wanted to scan because, presumably she'd know better than me what the usual requirement is. She was like 'I can't (or not allowed to) advise you, it's up to you if you choose not to submit anything' - which then made me think OK well scan everything. I said I just felt sorry she literally had to feed through and unpick dozens of stapled docs and scan them and it took ages, and she was all like 'yeah its ok its my job' - she even said it was a normal amount compared to the stacks of documents some people bring.

Citizenship applications are much simpler than ILR or work permit renewals. They seriously need stacks of supporting documentation.

Yeah, no chairs, what's with that? Bummer.

cryvate
Netherlands

Post by cryvate » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:30 pm

I went to my appointment with UKVCAS at the Cambridge service point. It is tucked away on the top floor with most of the privacy being provided by banners. After finding the entrance to this little alcove, there was no wait and I was immediately seen to:
  1. I was asked for my passport and appointment confirmation
  2. My passport and appointment confirmation were scanned
  3. My passport was checked versus some information on their screen
  4. I was asked to do my biometrics, which were in the 'back' of this alcove:
    1. Scan QR code
    2. Scan passport
    3. Photograph taken
    4. Left/right fingers taken
    5. Left/right thumb taken
    6. Right/left fingers taken
    7. Right/left thumb taken
    8. Signature taken
    (Not sure of left and right order.)
  5. All passport pages that were not empty were scanned
  6. They said they could see I had uploaded documents and asked whether I wanted to upload anything more (no)
  7. My finger prints did not go through properly, so I had to do all biometrics again
  8. They checked everything they had acquired: scans of passport, photograph, fingerprints and signature on their computer
  9. They asked again whether I wanted to add something (no)
  10. They then confirmed with me they could submit with immediate effect (yes)
I applied as EEA citizen/with PR. So it seems:
  • Seems to be running smoothly: I arrived early and there was no-one before me, the whole thing took about 10 minutes
  • Print your appointment confirmation as it is a big QR code and much easier than using your phone
  • Original documents were not checked, except for passport (and BRP, if you have one?)
  • Fingerprints: make sure to keep your fingers/thumbs horizontal to get a good result
  • Signature: they want a pretty big one
  • No proof of address needed
I would still suggest bringing proof of address and your original documents as one swallow does not a summer make.

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:45 pm

AnnaMay wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:41 pm
Hello everyone,

Me and my family have applied for naturalisation through new UKCVAS service in December.
We could not get free appointment so payed £300 for 3 of us.

The question is:
How can we truck the progress on the application please? I have tried to find through the UKCVAS website nothing is there same at gov.uk

Thanks
There's no way to track the application unfortunately. You should receive an email a couple of days after you submitted online that will provide you with a case ID and confirm your application has been received, and that it is being considered.

I believe there's a phone number you can call, but that phone number is unhelpful. They'll just tell you to wait.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:06 pm

skyscraper101 wrote:

You submitted far too many unnecessary documents. Citizenship is not a repeat of the ILR process.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shaneoh1980
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by shaneoh1980 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:45 am

You submitted far too many unnecessary documents. Citizenship is not a repeat of the ILR process.
One thing that has me a little worried is people suddenly mentioning proof of address. I always find this quite hit and miss in this country as to what is acceptable. I'm submitting my application this Monday and hope to have an appointment soon after that. Can anyone please tell me:

1. Will I need proof of address?
2. If so, what is acceptable? I ask as, no utilities are in my name. The only options I can think of that i have are a copy of my lease, or a bank statement, or possibly council tax which is in my name with others. The last council tax bill was generated last May. Will this be considered acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:15 am

shaneoh1980 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:45 am
One thing that has me a little worried is people suddenly mentioning proof of address. I always find this quite hit and miss in this country as to what is acceptable. I'm submitting my application this Monday and hope to have an appointment soon after that. Can anyone please tell me:

1. Will I need proof of address?
2. If so, what is acceptable? I ask as, no utilities are in my name. The only options I can think of that i have are a copy of my lease, or a bank statement, or possibly council tax which is in my name with others. The last council tax bill was generated last May. Will this be considered acceptable?

Thanks in advance.
I was asked for this during my appointment last month. I already knew, like you, so took along my driver's licence. When asked for ID, the lady said "like a utility bill". No mention of "recent." To me that means they aren't that discerning, so any of the items you mention should be fine.

As an addendum, I queried the request saying it was not asked for during the UKVI application process or during the UKVCAS appointment arrangements, but UKVCAS clearly state that you must bring along proof of appointment. The answer I was given was "ah, but it's not a mandatory document, so it's up to you to produce or not."

They scanned my driving licence and included it as a submitted document to UKVI.

Don't forget, UKVCAS don't decide what is and what is not an acceptable document.

Alien2017

Post by Alien2017 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:22 am

we have not been asked for proof of address. Went to Croydon