ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help - Do you have any dependents not applying with you

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

aaak
Newly Registered

Help - Do you have any dependents not applying with you

Post by aaak » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:46 am

I came to UK on tier 2 Work visa and my wife was on my dependent visa. We both got our ILR last year. We are both eligible for British citizenship however my wife is not applying for citizenship at the moment. So when the form asks if I have any dependents not applying with me then should i mention my wife or not? Her ILR is independent and now she is not dependent on my visa.

Thanks in Advance

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Help - Do you have any dependents not applying with you

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:58 am

Dependent relates to the family relationship - spouse and/or children mainly, not whether there is a dependent visa in place. Just say yes and give details - haven't seen any issues reported around this. Your application is individual to yourself.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

aaak
Newly Registered

Post by aaak » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:43 pm

Many thanks alterhase

alsanober
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by alsanober » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:16 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:58 am
Dependent relates to the family relationship - spouse and/or children mainly, not whether there is a dependent visa in place. Just say yes and give details - haven't seen any issues reported around this. Your application is individual to yourself.
According to Citizenship FAQs on the forum.

Q2: My spouse was granted ILR as a dependant. When can he/she apply?

Once a dependant is granted ILR, he/she is not a dependant any more. For naturalisation, each applicant needs to meet the requirements (including the 5 years residence period).

If one applicant meets the 5 years residence requirement but the spouse doesn’t, then once the applicant is granted BC (after the citizenship ceremony), the spouse becomes a spouse of BC and can apply for naturalisation under the 3 years residence requirements.