ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

is tax free childcare public funds?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tristanintheuk
India

is tax free childcare public funds?

Post by tristanintheuk » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi all,

The childcare voucher has been closed on Oct 2018. The alternative is tax free childcare.

As a Tier 2 visa holder who have no resource to public funds, can I apply and use tax free childcare? Is tax free childcare public funds?

Thank you in advance for your help.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: is tax free childcare public funds?

Post by sah10406 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:34 am

See https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... blic-funds and related guidance for the list of public funds. It has not been updated since 22 April 2016.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

amit2453
Mood:
India

Post by amit2453 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:07 pm

NO. its not

tristanintheuk
India

Post by tristanintheuk » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:35 pm

Sorry for this late update. I think I have found the answer.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-free-childcare clearly says people from outside the EEA and your UK residence card says you cannot access public funds are not eligible.

This means that there is NO OPTIONS for Tier 2 visa holder to have any kinds of tax efficiencies for their childcare. This is terrible.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:03 pm

tristanintheuk wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:35 pm
This is terrible.
But that page is not correct. Public Funds are defined in law, specifically in paragraph 6 of the immigration rules:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... troduction

See my previous reply above for a link to the related guidance, which do not mention this as a public fund either.

Until such time as a Statement of Changes adds tax-free childcare to paragraph 6 of the immigration rules, which will probably happen sooner or later, it is not a public fund.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

rsfreitas
Newly Registered

Post by rsfreitas » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Clearly they need to update some things, but the actual Application page of the Tax-free Childcare is very clearly saying Tier 2 can't access it. Interestingly, they're not saying IT IS public fund, but they're saying that if your visa says that, you can't have this benefit.

You’re not eligible if:

your child does not usually live with you
the child is your foster child
either you or your partner has a taxable income over £100,000
you’re from outside the EEA and your UK residence card says you cannot access public funds

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:46 pm

rsfreitas wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:04 pm
Interestingly, they're not saying IT IS public fund, but they're saying that if your visa says that, you can't have this benefit.
Is it perhaps that only those who are receiving certain other welfare benefits which are on the public funds list are eligible for the tax-free childcare? Hence while it is not itself a public fund, you cannot claim the other benefit that passports you through to tax-free childcare?

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:09 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:46 pm
rsfreitas wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:04 pm
Interestingly, they're not saying IT IS public fund, but they're saying that if your visa says that, you can't have this benefit.
Is it perhaps that only those who are receiving certain other welfare benefits which are on the public funds list are eligible for the tax-free childcare? Hence while it is not itself a public fund, you cannot claim the other benefit that passports you through to tax-free childcare?
It was only for those who had a claim to certain benefits based on their earnings, but now they have brought in a cap of a taxable income of 100,000k so that even some of those not on the Working Tax Credit benefit can have this too.

This 30 hours seems to be more like the NHS, not a Public Fund but only some can use it bill free, while others work and cannot (they pay the IHS).

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Do those who are subject to immigration control, get childcare vouchers from work?
https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare- ... e-vouchers

dylanandcaitlyn
Newly Registered
South Africa

Are we eligible for 30 hours of childcare

Post by dylanandcaitlyn » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:01 pm

Hi Everyone/Anyone

I am new to this forum after being sent from pillar to post today regarding my question. My husband is British and I'm on a FLR(m)visa for over 4 years. I have a 3 and a 4 year old and have just been offered a great job today to start in 2 weeks. I went for my national insurance appointment application on the 4th February and have still not yet received it. I went online today to research how I apply for the 30 hours of childcare only to discover that people with no recourse to public funds cannot apply. I was shocked so my husband called the childcare services at home office and he was told that we do not qualify (apparently the call operator was very unsure). I then called later on in the day and was first told that we do not qualify and then after being put on hold numerous times to ask his colleagues I was told that as long as my husband does the application then we should have no problems qualifying for the 30 hours. I cannot yet do the application as you need both NI numbers. In the mean time I have committed to starting the job in 2 weeks and am highly concerned that I may be declined (once my NI number arrives) and will then have to let the company down. Does anybody know whether we can apply as the home office was very unsure and told me that he had never been asked this question before.

Thanks very much :-)

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Are we eligible for 30 hours of childcare

Post by sah10406 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:59 am

dylanandcaitlyn wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:01 pm
Does anybody know whether we can apply as the home office was very unsure and told me that he had never been asked this question before.
See the previous discussion. It is not listed in the immigration rules as a public fund, but those with a public funds restriction are (for unclear reasons) excluded from applying. It appears that this is a conundrum that probably needs intervention by your local MP.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Are we eligible for 30 hours of childcare

Post by JB007 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:22 am

dylanandcaitlyn wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:01 pm
Does anybody know whether we can apply as the home office was very unsure and told me that he had never been asked this question before.
If you and your husband are claimingTax Credits (legacy benefit), maybe check if you can claim help with childcare via that? I'm not sure how the replacement benefit, Universal Credit, works when one of the parents is subject to immigration control.

Will your wages cover the childcare costs? When Tax Credits claimants move to Universal Credit, both parents have a work requirement.