ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shaneoh1980
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Re: Experiences using new UKVCAS for naturalisation/citizenship applications

Post by shaneoh1980 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:25 am

Thanks both - interesting, mixed experiences. I think I will take what I have (and also see if I can get the council to generate a more recent bill) and hope for the best - don't really have any other option! Would be frustrating if I had issues based on something so meaningless/irrelevant.

codem2013
Spain

Post by codem2013 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:28 am

Does anyone know if kids are allowed in sopra core centres?

Alien2017

Post by Alien2017 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:34 am

Of course they are. We had a relative as she was visiting at the time and she was allowed inside with us as well. They are nice

Konsog

Post by Konsog » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:57 am

jafarkuku wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:38 am
Jesus, can everyone just calm down and understand that your applications are being processed. No need for the panic. I too used UKVCAS and am waiting. HO says it can take up to 6 months!
Yep, agreed. Also, having had a closer look at the Nov timelines, it seems that most people's UKVCAS appointment actualy took place quite a few days after their application submission (in some cases all the way into Dec), which is likely to be the reason for this "delay" (i.e. not really a delay, especially if we also consider the holiday season). So let's all relax and be patient!

arovbukay
Newly Registered

Post by arovbukay » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:43 am

Nerazzuri wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:45 pm
AnnaMay wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:41 pm
Hello everyone,

Me and my family have applied for naturalisation through new UKCVAS service in December.
We could not get free appointment so payed £300 for 3 of us.

The question is:
How can we truck the progress on the application please? I have tried to find through the UKCVAS website nothing is there same at gov.uk

Thanks
There's no way to track the application unfortunately. You should receive an email a couple of days after you submitted online that will provide you with a case ID and confirm your application has been received, and that it is being considered.

I believe there's a phone number you can call, but that phone number is unhelpful. They'll just tell you to wait.
Nerazzuri - do you mind pasting part of the email you mention above, my biometric appointment was 1st Dec, not received anything since. If you could let me know what email address you received it from or paste some of the text i''ll search my mailbox again.

thanks

DocKnow
Sri Lanka

Post by DocKnow » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:06 pm

Konsog wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:57 am
jafarkuku wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:38 am
Jesus, can everyone just calm down and understand that your applications are being processed. No need for the panic. I too used UKVCAS and am waiting. HO says it can take up to 6 months!
Yep, agreed. Also, having had a closer look at the Nov timelines, it seems that most people's UKVCAS appointment actualy took place quite a few days after their application submission (in some cases all the way into Dec), which is likely to be the reason for this "delay" (i.e. not really a delay, especially if we also consider the holiday season). So let's all relax and be patient!
I agree. The only worry I have is some of us actually did the UKVCAS biometrics in November and some others who did it later (through NDRS) have received their decision.

Although, I also notice that most people came back from holidays on 7th Jan (that must include caseworkers) so the probability of receiving decisions is quite high over the next couple of weeks.

My guess is that there are teething issues with UKVCAS which will obviously be sorted in time. It's just annoying that it may lead to a few week's delay.

skyscraper101

Post by skyscraper101 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:27 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:06 pm
skyscraper101 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:17 pm
I went to UKVCAS Croydon and I took pretty much every available document there. Even ones I'd already scanned, but also months of phone bills, council tax statements, water, electric, tenancy etc etc. All for residence proof. Many of which had been used for the previous ILR application, just for safety.

It was literally a stack of paperwork. And I'm always minded that it's better to have too much than too little.

But I did feel sorry for the woman who's job it was to scan everything, so I offered her - if she wanted - to just recommend me which ones she wanted to scan because, presumably she'd know better than me what the usual requirement is. She was like 'I can't (or not allowed to) advise you, it's up to you if you choose not to submit anything' - which then made me think OK well scan everything. I said I just felt sorry she literally had to feed through and unpick dozens of stapled docs and scan them and it took ages, and she was all like 'yeah its ok its my job' - she even said it was a normal amount compared to the stacks of documents some people bring.

There wasn't even a chair to sit in while I watched her manually feeding statement after statement through the machine - It took well over half an hour.
You submitted far too many unnecessary documents. Citizenship is not a repeat of the ILR process.
Sure but then again it does also state on the application that if there are gaps in the applicant's passport history then proof of residency during the time between the valid passports is necessary.

For three months my partner didn't have her passport because it was in the possession of the Home Office during the ILR application. During that time, the passport expired and it was only three months later when it was returned she was able to apply for a new passport.

So it says you have to account for this period with letters/statements etc, but it doesn't actually specify the number of documents needed. So I took the view that it's better to have too much than too little.
Last edited by skyscraper101 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:30 pm

skyscraper101 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:27 pm
CR001 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:06 pm
skyscraper101 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:17 pm
I went to UKVCAS Croydon and I took pretty much every available document there. Even ones I'd already scanned, but also months of phone bills, council tax statements, water, electric, tenancy etc etc. All for residence proof. Many of which had been used for the previous ILR application, just for safety.

It was literally a stack of paperwork. And I'm always minded that it's better to have too much than too little.

But I did feel sorry for the woman who's job it was to scan everything, so I offered her - if she wanted - to just recommend me which ones she wanted to scan because, presumably she'd know better than me what the usual requirement is. She was like 'I can't (or not allowed to) advise you, it's up to you if you choose not to submit anything' - which then made me think OK well scan everything. I said I just felt sorry she literally had to feed through and unpick dozens of stapled docs and scan them and it took ages, and she was all like 'yeah its ok its my job' - she even said it was a normal amount compared to the stacks of documents some people bring.

There wasn't even a chair to sit in while I watched her manually feeding statement after statement through the machine - It took well over half an hour.
You submitted far too many unnecessary documents. Citizenship is not a repeat of the ILR process.
Sure but then again it does also state on the application that if there are gaps in the applicant's passport history then proof of residency during the time between the valid passports is necessary.

For three months my partner didn't have her passport because it was in the possession of the Home Office during the ILR application. During that time, the passport expired and it was only three months later when it was returned she was able to apply for a new passport.

So it says you have to account for this period to prove residency, but it doesn't actually specify the number of documents needed. So I took the view that it's better to have too much than too little.
Useful usually to state an important fact such as this to put your post in perspective to avoid members panicking who have not submitted loads of documents.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

skyscraper101

Post by skyscraper101 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:35 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:30 pm
Useful usually to state an important fact such as this to put your post in perspective to avoid members panicking who have not submitted loads of documents.
Well noted. It wasn't my intention to panic anyone.

My post was really more about pointing out how the UKVCAS will not offer any guidance on how much documentation is too much, or too little. Their job really is just to scan and do biometrics. And they will seemingly scan as much or as little you present to them.

And they have no chairs at the scanning points.

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:18 pm

arovbukay wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:43 am

Nerazzuri - do you mind pasting part of the email you mention above, my biometric appointment was 1st Dec, not received anything since. If you could let me know what email address you received it from or paste some of the text i''ll search my mailbox again.

thanks
The email comes from UKVI and is not related to your UKVCAS appointment. It is automatically generated by UKVI within a day or two of you submitting your online transaction. The source email is is titled Home Office application and comes from:-

hocommunications@communications.homeoffice.gov.uk

Mine went to my junk folder. I suggest you check there.

AnnaMay
Newly Registered

Post by AnnaMay » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:39 pm

Nerazzuri wrote:
AnnaMay wrote:
Hello everyone,

Me and my family have applied for naturalisation through new UKCVAS service in December.

The question is:
How can we truck the progress on the application please? I have tried to find through the UKCVAS website nothing is there same at gov.uk

Thanks
There's no way to track the application unfortunately. You should receive an email a couple of days after you submitted online that will provide you with a case ID and confirm your application has been received, and that it is being considered.

I believe there's a phone number you can call, but that phone number is unhelpful. They'll just tell you to wait.

I our case its already a month passed and no-one has send any confirmation so far which makes me worried about. I have seen the contact number too and it is £2.50 per minute to call, which is ridiculous. Do you know any alternative way of getting in touch with UKCVAS? Maybe I shall call directly to home office do you think?

DocKnow
Sri Lanka

Post by DocKnow » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 pm

AnnaMay wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:39 pm
Nerazzuri wrote:
AnnaMay wrote:
Hello everyone,

The question is:

Thanks

I our case its already a month passed and no-one has send any confirmation so far which makes me worried about. I have seen the contact number too and it is £2.50 per minute to call, which is ridiculous. Do you know any alternative way of getting in touch with UKCVAS? Maybe I shall call directly to home office do you think?

There is number on your appointment confirmation which is a non-premium number. If you call them on that number with your appointment number, they do confirm that your documents have been submitted. Only a verbal confirmation though, nothing in writing.

arovbukay
Newly Registered

Post by arovbukay » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:12 pm

johnhkg wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:18 pm
arovbukay wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:43 am

thanks
The email comes from UKVI and is not related to your UKVCAS appointment. It is automatically generated by UKVI within a day or two of you submitting your online transaction. The source email is is titled Home Office application and comes from:-

hocommunications@communications.homeoffice.gov.uk

Mine went to my junk folder. I suggest you check there.
I have an email from when I paid online from 12/11/18 not after I've been for biometrics, does the body of the email say :

Thank you for your application to the Home Office. Your application has been received and is being considered.
It may take up to six months to make a decision on your case. If we are unable to process your application within six months we will tell you as soon as possible.

?

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:25 pm

That’s what I got. I did my biometrics on the same day I applied. The UKVCAS person said there’s no separate confirmation for submitting your documents and biometrics. You only get one confirmation.

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:44 pm

arovbukay wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:12 pm

I have an email from when I paid online from 12/11/18 not after I've been for biometrics, does the body of the email say :

Thank you for your application to the Home Office. Your application has been received and is being considered.
It may take up to six months to make a decision on your case. If we are unable to process your application within six months we will tell you as soon as possible.

?
Yes, that is it. You do not get any kind of confirmation from UKVCAS. If you call UKVCAS they can only tell you that they have submitted document scans and biometrics to UKVI. You cannot contact UKVI until 6 months have elapsed.

arovbukay
Newly Registered

Post by arovbukay » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:01 pm

got it, thanks.

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:11 pm

Can others who have submitted biometrics still go into UKVCAS account and still upload/delete documents? I had my appointment a couple of days ago but can still go and do this.

DocKnow
Sri Lanka

Post by DocKnow » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:30 pm

bookerw100 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:11 pm
Can others who have submitted biometrics still go into UKVCAS account and still upload/delete documents? I had my appointment a couple of days ago but can still go and do this.
Yes we can. Don't add or delete anything though! Although, I don't think it matters because documents should have been submitted by now.

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:54 am

iamrezaul wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:07 pm
Hi guys,

I had an appointment at the Croydon office today at 4 pm for naturalisation application. The process was real quick. I had to give the biometric using a self service machine first. Then a lady checked my documents. At the end of the checks she asked for my consent to submit the application.

When she confirmed all done, I asked for a proof but she said that I will only get an email confirmation.

But I haven’t received any email yet (over 4 hours passed). Not sure whether the delay is unusual. Any idea?

Thanks
You get only one email confirmation from UK Visas and Immigration confirming that your application has been received and is being considered. You don't get a separate one for going to the biometrics appointment.

pusched
Portugal

Post by pusched » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:39 pm

cryvate wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:30 pm
I went to my appointment with UKVCAS at the Cambridge service point. It is tucked away on the top floor with most of the privacy being provided by banners. After finding the entrance to this little alcove, there was no wait and I was immediately seen to:
  1. I was asked for my passport and appointment confirmation
  2. My passport and appointment confirmation were scanned
  3. My passport was checked versus some information on their screen
  4. I was asked to do my biometrics, which were in the 'back' of this alcove:
    1. Scan QR code
    2. Scan passport
    3. Photograph taken
    4. Left/right fingers taken
    5. Left/right thumb taken
    6. Right/left fingers taken
    7. Right/left thumb taken
    8. Signature taken
    (Not sure of left and right order.)
  5. All passport pages that were not empty were scanned
  6. They said they could see I had uploaded documents and asked whether I wanted to upload anything more (no)
  7. My finger prints did not go through properly, so I had to do all biometrics again
  8. They checked everything they had acquired: scans of passport, photograph, fingerprints and signature on their computer
  9. They asked again whether I wanted to add something (no)
  10. They then confirmed with me they could submit with immediate effect (yes)
I applied as EEA citizen/with PR. So it seems:
  • Seems to be running smoothly: I arrived early and there was no-one before me, the whole thing took about 10 minutes
  • Print your appointment confirmation as it is a big QR code and much easier than using your phone
  • Original documents were not checked, except for passport (and BRP, if you have one?)
  • Fingerprints: make sure to keep your fingers/thumbs horizontal to get a good result
  • Signature: they want a pretty big one
  • No proof of address needed
I would still suggest bringing proof of address and your original documents as one swallow does not a summer make.
Hi,

Thanks for your full details on this. Just to confirm, where you able to keep hold of your passport so that you can travel whilst your application is under consideration?

I noticed on the gov website it says: We will seek to return documents to customers at the end of the appointment, with some exceptions such as travel documents.

RK3285
Wales

Post by RK3285 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:40 pm

Hi there,

what is the premium service for UKVAS appointment.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:42 pm

RK3285 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:40 pm
Hi there,

https://www.ukvcas.co.uk/additional-services
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:43 pm

RK3285 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:40 pm
Hi there,

british-citizenship/new-uk-visa-and-cit ... 67059.html

indefinite-leave-to-remain/online-appli ... 70084.html

Edit : Beaten by 'Alterhase58' :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

RK3285
Wales

Post by RK3285 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:59 pm

hi,

im struggling to understand what the premium service is.
usually it takes 2-6 months for a response, but if i go through premium service, will the responce come any quicker?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:05 pm

RK3285 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:59 pm
hi,

im struggling to understand what the premium service is.
usually it takes 2-6 months for a response, but if i go through premium service, will the responce come any quicker?
There is no fast track service for citizenship applications. Only the application submission process has changed, not the HO processes.

Currently it takes a few weeks, but can take up to 6 months or sometimes longer.
Char (CR001 not Casa)