ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC after PR (EEA) for Non-EEA family member

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Malik_01

BC after PR (EEA) for Non-EEA family member

Post by Malik_01 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:32 pm

Dear respectful members,

I came arcoss certain wordings in the "Naturalisaton booket AN"

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... r_2018.pdf

The wording says 'unless you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should normally have held permanent resident status for 12 months before applying for naturalisation. This means that you may need to wait until you have been in the UK for 6 years before you can apply'.

and

"When you apply for a permanent residence document the evidence that you supply for your EEA(PR) application must be for a 5-year period that ended at least a year before you want to apply for citizenship. (This is not the case if you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen)".

Does this mean that I do not need to wait for another 12 months after my permanent residence card and can apply straightaway after the PR decision?

Thank you so much for your time and attention in advance.

Malik

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: BC after PR (EEA) for Non-EEA family member

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:37 pm

Is your spouse British?

Do you hold a DCPR??

If yes to both, you can apply as spouse of BC which is based on the 3 years residence immediately preceding citizenship date of application. You must also meet all the standard requirements, ie absence limits and physically presence 3 years ago etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Malik_01

Post by Malik_01 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:46 pm

Thank you CROO1,

Yes, my wife is British (EEA national as well)

I do not hold DCPR yet (due in March 2019) but by wife has the before she applied for her BC.

So, could you send some relevant material from Home Office or any other legal document that could put more light whether I am eligible for BC as soon as I get my PR, as being a spouce of BN.

Many thanks for your promptness :)

Malik

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:23 pm

Have you reviewed the guidance from the government? From the info you gave you will be eligible once you got the DCPR - nothing out of the ordinary.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... en-form-an
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Malik_01

Post by Malik_01 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:19 pm

Thank you alterhase58, I have reviewed it again and found what I was looking for!

I hope others with similar sitution could also benefit from this post.

alterhase58 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:23 pm
Have you reviewed the guidance from the government? From the info you gave you will be eligible once you got the DCPR - nothing out of the ordinary.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... en-form-an