ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need to change driving licence-shall I use the new DL for Naturalisation application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

RJLK

Need to change driving licence-shall I use the new DL for Naturalisation application

Post by RJLK » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:00 am

Hi,

I am currently in Northern Ireland and got ILR already. I am gonna apply for Naturalisation on May 2019. I have used mainland (the GB) driving licence (DL) for the life in the UK test while I was in England. Unfortunately I have to exchange my DL to the Northern Ireland as they wont recognise DL issued in the GB. I have learnt from this forum that I have to provide the same evidence used for LITU when I apply for naturalisation. Will there be an issue in my naturalisation application if I provide Northern Ireland DL instead of GB DL (which was used for LIUK)?

Thanks

Hioru

Re: Need to change driving licence-shall I use the new DL for Naturalisation application

Post by Hioru » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:01 am

RJLK wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:00 am
Hi,

I am currently in Northern Ireland and got ILR already. I am gonna apply for Naturalisation on May 2019. I have used mainland (the GB) driving licence (DL) for the life in the UK test while I was in England. Unfortunately I have to exchange my DL to the Northern Ireland as they wont recognise DL issued in the GB. I have learnt from this forum that I have to provide the same evidence used for LITU when I apply for naturalisation. Will there be an issue in my naturalisation application if I provide Northern Ireland DL instead of GB DL (which was used for LIUK)?

Thanks
Not a qualified advice but you could scan the current one (2 sides) and print it off? As if you're applying online, at least for the "old"/existing system they were only interested in the original passport and mentioned everything else can be a copy. I would assume it should be similar in the new UKVCAS system too, I mean there you can simply upload the scan to the website.

I guess if I did it, I would probably provide the scan of the current one and also the new one once you exchange it and write a note at the last part of the application as to why. Not a qualified advice though...

Nerazzuri

Re: Need to change driving licence-shall I use the new DL for Naturalisation application

Post by Nerazzuri » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:45 am

You don't need your Driving Licence for citizenship. You'll need your ILR, passport, LITUK test result and proof of having lived here for the required period of time (if you're non-EEA past visas and the stamps in your passport would suffice). If you're married to a UK citizen, you'll need your partner's passport and proof of marriage as well.

Hioru

Post by Hioru » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:22 pm

Nerazzuri wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:45 am
You don't need your Driving Licence for citizenship. You'll need your ILR, passport, LITUK test result and proof of having lived here for the required period of time (if you're non-EEA past visas and the stamps in your passport would suffice). If you're married to a UK citizen, you'll need your partner's passport and proof of marriage as well.
What about the point of using the same proof of ID for naturalisation which was used to take the Life in the UK Test, in this case UK driving licence?

RJLK

Post by RJLK » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:24 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. I will obviously scan and upload my GB DL along with NI DL. But I just want to know whether is It wise to change the ID document in case if they want the same ID used for LITU test.
Any more thoughts form senior members or others who faced similar situation.

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:42 am

Hioru wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:22 pm
Nerazzuri wrote:
What about the point of using the same proof of ID for naturalisation which was used to take the Life in the UK Test, in this case UK driving licence?
Your passport serves as your proof of ID.

Hioru

Post by Hioru » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:24 pm

Nerazzuri wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:42 am
Hioru wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:22 pm
Nerazzuri wrote:
Your passport serves as your proof of ID.
So just to make sure I understand, you are advising to ignore the following part of the naturalisation guide and while going against the guide not to even add a note to the application to explain the reason for not providing what they ask you to provide?
Home Office Naturalisation Guide wrote:
Evidence of identity

If you were issued with a Biometric Residence Permit, you must provide/use it in support of your application, alongside:
• Your passport* or
• National identity* card or
• Home Office travel document* or
• Home Office entitlement card* or
• Home Office ARC letter* or
• Your birth certificate or
• Your photo driving licence* or
• A bank, building society or credit card statement issued to you within the last 6 months

* if you used one of these documents when you took the Knowledge of Life in the UK test you will be expected to use it again by enclosing it with your naturalisation application.
Highlighted the part that applies to OP.

RJLK

Post by RJLK » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Home Office Naturalisation Guide wrote:
Evidence of identity

If you were issued with a Biometric Residence Permit, you must provide/use it in support of your application, alongside:
• Your passport* or
• National identity* card or
• Home Office travel document* or
• Home Office entitlement card* or
• Home Office ARC letter* or
• Your birth certificate or
• Your photo driving licence* or
• A bank, building society or credit card statement issued to you within the last 6 months

* if you used one of these documents when you took the Knowledge of Life in the UK test you will be expected to use it again by enclosing it with your naturalisation application.

This is what I am worried about. If they ask the same ID (my GB DL) then I will be in trouble if I exchange them for Northern Ireland DL.

RJLK

Post by RJLK » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:18 am

Any other thoughts on this issue from experts???