ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Benefit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ffjr414
Mood:

Benefit

Post by ffjr414 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:12 pm

I have a question regarding benefit. I got my ILR in feb2018. My wife is on spouse visa. If I applied for benefit will it affect my wife's extension application? And when I will apply for naturalization will it affect in my application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Benefit

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:11 pm

No and no.

Remember that if you claim tax credits it MUST be claimed in JOINT names with your spouse.

Remember also that for her extension you have to meet all the same financial requirements again and benefits cannot be used to show this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ffjr414
Mood:

Post by ffjr414 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:13 pm

Thank you very much.

MS1979
Newly Registered

Post by MS1979 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:10 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:11 pm
No and no.

Remember that if you claim tax credits it MUST be claimed in JOINT names with your spouse.

Remember also that for her extension you have to meet all the same financial requirements again and benefits cannot be used to show this.
Hi, first of all sorry to bother you, I would like to ask you something, my wife and son (18 months old) came to UK on dependant visa I am the sponsor. I am doing 2 jobs at the moment I am thinking to leave 2nd job to spend time with my family because first of all they are new here and my wife sometimes complaint she is right I can't blame her but if I leave 2nd job I wouldn't be able to bare all expenses.

That's why I am thinking to take Universal Credit help if I take any benefit from Universal Credit does it effect my wife's visa extension or is there any other way ? she still got plenty of time left but just asking ... please help me.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:57 pm

MS1979 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:10 pm
CR001 wrote:
No and no.

Hi, first of all sorry to bother you, I would like to ask you something, my wife and son (18 months old) came to UK on dependant visa I am the sponsor. I am doing 2 jobs at the moment I am thinking to leave 2nd job to spend time with my family because first of all they are new here and my wife sometimes complaint she is right I can't blame her but if I leave 2nd job I wouldn't be able to bare all expenses.

That's why I am thinking to take Universal Credit help if I take any benefit from Universal Credit does it effect my wife's visa extension or is there any other way ? she still got plenty of time left but just asking ... please help me.
Have I got this right. You worked two jobs to be able to sponser your wife and child to the UK? And now want to give that up and claim Universal Credit instead?

Have you looked at the rules for claiming Universal Credit? Both you and you wife will have to work to avoid Universal Credit conditions.

With a child between age 1 - 3, your wife is required to earn the equivalent of at least 25 hours a week at the national minimum hourly wage, or attend the job centre when required and for work training too. You are required to earn the equivalent of 35 hours per week at the hourly NMW or will need to attend the job centre, the work providers, go for work practice. You can earn both yours and your wife's required weekly earnings so that she does not have to go to the job centre and for training - earn at least what 60 hours a week at NMW would bring in.

You will be financailly better off keep working as you will likely still get some Universal Credit and this system is better for those who work.

The NMW will rise in April.
https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

Everybody of working age on the present (old) income based benefits will be moved to Universal Credit.

MS1979
Newly Registered

Post by MS1979 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:59 pm

Thanks for your reply, first of all I am doing 2 jobs for 18 years not just started to bring my family here my wife and son came to this country just 2 months ago, and I am working 80 hours a week if you work 80 hours a week you wouldn't be able to spend time with your family that's why like other people want to stick with one job and want to spend some time with my family. If I claim some benefit will it effect in my wife's extension when the extension comes ? that's my question sir ? I am not gonna quit both jobs no no no .... I just need a advise whether should I claim some benefit or not ? what will be better for me and my wife ?

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:02 am

MS1979 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:59 pm
Thanks for your reply, first of all I am doing 2 jobs for 18 years not just started to bring my family here my wife and son came to this country just 2 months ago, and I am working 80 hours a week if you work 80 hours a week you wouldn't be able to spend time with your family that's why like other people want to stick with one job and want to spend some time with my family. If I claim some benefit will it effect in my wife's extension when the extension comes ? that's my question sir ? I am not gonna quit both jobs no no no .... I just need a advise whether should I claim some benefit or not ? what will be better for me and my wife ?
If you want low income based benefits, if you don't meet your required household minimum earnings, both you and your wife are expected to work and look for more hours/better paid work, go to the jobcentres as often as you are told to do, go to the work providers, go on work experience, go on training courses.

How old is your son?

What will you reduce your wages to per week?

How much does your wife earn per week?

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:19 am

This is an old thread. Tax Credits have ended for new claimants. Exisiting claimints will be moved to Universal Credit. Universal Credit replaces the six low income based benefits and has stricter requirements i.e. parents can no longer decide not to work, or to just work 24 hours a week between them to get the Working Tax Credits benefit too. On Universal Credit, there is a minimum earnngs requirement that must be met to avoid Universal Credit conditions. Those who increase their earnings will no longer have a cliff edge drop in their benefits.

Universal Credit is replacing the low income based benefits-
Chilld Tax Credits
Jobseekers Allowance
Working Tax Credits
Housing Benefit
Income Support
ESA

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:32 pm

JB007 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:19 am

Universal Credit is replacing the low income based benefits-
Chilld Tax Credits
Jobseekers Allowance
Working Tax Credits
Housing Benefit
Income Support
ESA
I am not sure if a Universal Credit claim will be in both names if one person is subject to immigration control, as it was with Tax Credits. Tax Credits was a low income based benefit and this is being brought in line with other low income benefits. As you can see from the list above, these other benefits did not allow a joint claim if one person is subject to immigration.

All I can find is this-
"If you live with your partner

Your partner’s income and savings will be taken into account, even if they are not eligible for Universal Credit."

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/eligibility

Until we know for sure, claimants should check with the CAB.

MS1979
Newly Registered

Post by MS1979 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:17 pm

CR001 wrote:
No and no.

Thanks for your reply, really appreciated.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:16 pm

MS1979 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:17 pm
CR001 wrote:
No and no.

Thanks for your reply, really appreciated.
You can't claim Tax Credits as they ended in December 2018 (January 2019 for those with more than two children). New claimants have to apply for Universal Credit.

I don't know if you are allowed to put somebody who is subject to immigration control, on a Universal Credit claim. UC is nothing like Tax Credits.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:27 pm

CR001 was replying to the poster who started this thread last year. The rules have changed.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:25 am

JB007 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:16 pm

I don't know if you are allowed to put somebody who is subject to immigration control, on a Universal Credit claim. UC is nothing like Tax Credits.
Unless somebody can find the rules for Universal Credit about where one claimant is subject to immigration control , it might be better to go to the CAB and ask them. Even the Universal Credit calculators state they are not suitable for somebody who is subject to immigration control.