ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Speeding ticket abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

calrid
Newly Registered

Speeding ticket abroad

Post by calrid » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi guys,

I'm not entirely sure but I think I might have received 1 or 2 speeding tickets sometime before 2004 in the United States. I am looking to apply for British citizenship this month and I wanted to check if I need to declare this even if i'm not sure. It's been so long ago that I can't remember. In my situation, do I declare it? Or can I simply say 'No' to the section that asks about criminal convictions? Also, if I don't declare it and it turns out that I do have them, is this something the Home Office will be able see? I did a criminal background check with the FBI and nothing came up on my record except for an arrest for which the case was later dropped. If I do have them and the Home Office comes across them will my application be refused? It's been so long ago and I haven't been driving since 2006 so I really don't remember if I've had those before. Any help or clarification will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Speeding ticket abroad

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:42 pm

Review the caseworker guidance:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf
Likely not an issue.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

calrid
Newly Registered

Post by calrid » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:43 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. So do say no and not mention it as I'm not sure? Or do I need to state that I'm not sure or can't remember?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:52 pm

As you don't remember details of the tickets, and 15 years passed, I would say no. In the scheme of things traffic tickets are minor compared to custodial sentences, unless you are a serial offender.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

calrid
Newly Registered

Post by calrid » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:28 am

Thanks for your reply. I honestly don't think I've gotten any but there's a chance I might be wrong and have just forgotten. I've tried to request my driving records from back then but they DMV told me they destroy them after a certain number of years so they no longer have mine. If it turns out that I do and the home office come across it can they refuse me on the basis of deception or for failing to disclose?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:42 am

I can't speak for the Home Office or other agencies - if you read the good character requirements traffic tickets are way down the line in terms of seriousness, unless you are a serial offender and/or not paying fines, etc.

calrid
Newly Registered

Post by calrid » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. So if there was a case that maybe I had 1 or 2 and didn’t pay them is that a reason for refusal even if it happened at least 15 years ago?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:45 pm

I have never seen anything posted here similar to your scenario, or a case that was rejected based on your scenario. You may be overthinking this.

calrid
Newly Registered

Post by calrid » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:32 am

Thanks for replying . I just don’t want to get a 10 year ban for non disclosure hence why I’m uneasy