ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS English Test

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

JawaGP
South Africa

IELTS English Test

Post by JawaGP » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi, I'm due to do my ILR in June, i did the IELTS English test in South Africa 5 years ago which was needed for my application, now I'm nearing ILR i have heard that my IELTS may not be accepted or valid, id like to try get clarification incase i need to redo my English test. I have the IELTS B1 that i did in 2014, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: IELTS English Test

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:55 pm

JawaGP wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:49 pm
Hi, I'm due to do my ILR in June, i did the IELTS English test in South Africa 5 years ago which was needed for my application, now I'm nearing ILR i have heard that my IELTS may not be accepted or valid, id like to try get clarification incase i need to redo my English test. I have the IELTS B1 that i did in 2014, any help would be appreciated, thanks.
You will have to take it again as:

“some recognised test qualifications only last for 2 years. You can still use a B1 level qualification that you took more than 2 years ago in 2 situations”

“You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if both of the following are true:

it’s on the current list of recognised tests
it was accepted for another UK immigration application, for example when you got permission to enter”

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

you need this:

https://www.trinitycollege.com/site/?id=3220
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

JawaGP
South Africa

Post by JawaGP » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:00 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, i will look into re taking the test.

JawaGP
South Africa

Post by JawaGP » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:05 pm

Ive just had a look online and IELTS B1 is still recognised in the UK and I took the test and it was used for my initial Entry Clearance application, would that not make it recognised? Or would it be safer to not take a chance and just redo it.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:09 pm

If the test you have is on the CURRENT list of HO approved test providers AND it is at the ILR B1 level AND it was used for a previous application, then yes you can use it.

Note however that HO can and often do ask for an 'updated' English test AFTER you have applied.

You don't state what you route to ILR is, presumably a spouse visa or Tier 2 visa??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

JawaGP
South Africa

Post by JawaGP » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:12 pm

My route is Tier 2, i really don't want to take any chances, for the £150 ill probably just re do the test. Thanks for the advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:37 pm

JawaGP wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:12 pm
My route is Tier 2, i really don't want to take any chances, for the £150 ill probably just re do the test. Thanks for the advice.
Better to spend £150 to be sure rather waste £3k+ and additional stress.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.