ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can you renew prior to expiry date?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

canadian86
Newly Registered
Canada

Can you renew prior to expiry date?

Post by canadian86 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:39 pm

Just a quick question:

My wife and I have Tier 2 visas that are due to expire Aug 31 2019. Can we apply to have our visas renew early before Aug 31st?

The reason being we just had a baby and we need to get her a visa. My work has is going to sponsor me again for another three years and I will sponsor my wife and child, but we want to take her (baby) back to Canada this summer for vacation, and we would need passports to travel and a visa to re-enter the UK with her. Is this possible?

Thank you,

silverocks
Bangladesh

Re: Can you renew prior to expiry date?

Post by silverocks » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:01 am

yes you can apply 3 months before your visa expires.

canadian86
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by canadian86 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:09 am

But not any sooner than 3 months?

And if I apply 3 months before expiry, I want the date of the new visa to start before the expiry of the previous one - is this possible?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:13 am

canadian86 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:09 am
But not any sooner than 3 months?

And if I apply 3 months before expiry, I want the date of the new visa to start before the expiry of the previous one - is this possible?
the new visa start date will be in line with your COS and likely from date of decision. HO do not 'tag the date' to the end of your current visa however if the CoS has a start date of day after your current visa expires, then that is the date of your new visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

canadian86
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by canadian86 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:34 pm

My wife and I already have Tier 2 visas that we are renewing so we don't have to leave the country to make the application, but our baby was just born here in the UK and is thus applying for her first visa. I will be sponsoring her as my dependent on my Tier 2 renewal - does that mean she has to leave the country because she's never had one before?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:42 am

No she does not have to leave the country.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

canadian86
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by canadian86 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:45 pm

My Tier 2 Visa was issued on Aug 13 2015 and it will expire Aug 31 2019.

I am applying to renew my Tier 2 for up to 3 years. Can I go for the full three years (i.e. Aug 31 2022) because on the Home Office website it says:

How long you can stay: You can apply to extend your visa for up to another 5 years, as long as your total stay is not more than 6 years.

Does this mean then that my Tier 2 renewal can only be valid until Aug 13 2021 because that would be six years from the date of my first Tier 2 visa? Or can I still go for the full three years? My employer needs to know for generating the dates of my new CoS.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Does this mean then that my Tier 2 renewal can only be valid until Aug 13 2021 because that would be six years from the date of my first Tier 2 visa?

Yes.
Or can I still go for the full three years? My employer needs to know for generating the dates of my new CoS.
Regardless of how long the CoS is for, your VISA will not be issued for longer that what your total time on Tier 2 General is up to a maximum of 6 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

canadian86
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by canadian86 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Thank you for your reply, and apologies for the duplicate post.

It doesn't matter then if my employer then enters Aug 31 2022 as the CoS end date? I understand HO will only issue the visa for up to six years, I just want to make sure my application won't be refused initially because the CoS is longer than what is possible under the 6 year cap.