ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling with Settled Status

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mia777

Travelling with Settled Status

Post by mia777 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:00 am

Does anyone know if the biometric permanent residence card is still required for non EU citizens with Settled Status when travelling outside the UK?

I know the card number is used to authenticate when using the HO site to prove your status but is it neeeee for other purposes?

Given that you need to make a completely new application to replace the card if it’s lost, I was hoping Settled Status would completely replace it.

(Eea)FamilyMember
Newly Registered
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Re: Travelling with Settled Status

Post by (Eea)FamilyMember » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:46 pm

I asked I similar question , still no answer😁(will the new pre-settled and settled status mean issue of a new residence card)?There are foreign migration oficcies (for instance swedish one) that will not let you on board a flight unless you literally show them a UK residence card of some kind.If home office aniliiates our old rc:s than we should be issued with the new ones or our freedom of movement would be intercepted or even be stranded abroad.

(Eea)FamilyMember
Newly Registered
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by (Eea)FamilyMember » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Unconfirmed but logicly yes , you will still need a UK residence card in order to board a flight to UK as you reasonably cannot expect that foreign fly companies and migration offices in whoola-boola , yalla-yalla , nietskie- pietskie countries take part of new UK migration laws so quickly and change their routiens accordinly.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:05 pm

(Eea)FamilyMember wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:46 pm
I asked I similar question , still no answer😁(will the new pre-settled and settled status mean issue of a new residence card)?
Just answered: eea-route-applications/will-presettled- ... 72878.html

So it depends:

If you already have a biometric RC, no, you don't get a new card.
If you do not already have biometric RC, yes, you do get issued a new card.

Which leads me to think that, yes, you are supposed to carry your card, either the new one issued, or the biometric RC you had before applying, whenever you travel abroad.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Mugen
Ukraine

Post by Mugen » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:13 pm

Curious if it still will be valid after transition period, because it was issued under EU rules?

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:20 am

Mugen wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:13 pm
Curious if it still will be valid after transition period, because it was issued under EU rules?
Valud until 31st of Decembrr 2020, then I suppose they will issue new cards.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

mia777

Post by mia777 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:44 pm

Have an non-EU members with a biometric permanent residence card and settled status travelled without the card?

I'm curious if you could prove your status using the settled status system at immigration at the airport.

horizon1985

Post by horizon1985 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:38 am

mia777 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:44 pm
Have an non-EU members with a biometric permanent residence card and settled status travelled without the card?

I'm curious if you could prove your status using the settled status system at immigration at the airport.
Did you read the “Status Outcome” letter thoroughly?
It says:

At the UK border
There are no changes for when you travel to the UK.- You must continue to present your passport and biometric residence card at the UK border

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:58 am

mia777 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:44 pm
I think the fact that the Settled Status is a digital confirmation is misleading people into thinking they don't need to show a physical card at immigration control points. The question has been clearly answered above.

In this forum we know only too well that having a right/status and proving it are two very different things, and more than one person has found this the hard way (proving right to work, right to rent, right to enter the UK by only showing marriage certificate doesn't work all the time), and everyone should understand this and avoid themselves a headache by thinking "I don't need a card because II have the right/status".

zafran1
Iran

Post by zafran1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:15 am

Makes sense. Is the pre settled status being offered for 5 years/remaining period to allowing 5 years stay or it is also valid only until 31 Dec 2020. Reason for asking is that if it's not until the 5 year period (potential to apply settled status) then it doesn't make much sense for those with BRP to apply until then .

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:41 am

zafran1 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:15 am
Makes sense. Is the pre settled status being offered for 5 years/remaining period to allowing 5 years stay or it is also valid only until 31 Dec 2020. Reason for asking is that if it's not until the 5 year period (potential to apply settled status) then it doesn't make much sense for those with BRP to apply until then .
This is off-topic. I have taken the liberty of answering this on its own post here.