ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Resident EC recognized by Ireland?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ximon
United States of America

EU Resident EC recognized by Ireland?

Post by Ximon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:36 pm

Does anyone know whether an EU Resident EC visa - Permanent residency in the EU - known variously by these countries as:
Residente de larga duración – UE - Spain
Carte de résident de longue durée – Communauté Européenne - France
Residente CE de longa duração - Portugal
Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EU - Germany

grant the recipient entry into Ireland or the UK for more than 3 months?

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Re: EU Resident EC recognized by Ireland?

Post by shpirtshqipe » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:03 pm

On what grounds did you/the person get the EC Card?

Ximon
United States of America

Post by Ximon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:39 am

I would get the EC card by living in an EU country for five years and meeting the other requirements as proscribed by each country. Not sure I understand what you mean.

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:47 am

I’m assuming it was as a spouse of an EU Citizen

The NON-EU person can travel to any EU country when accompanied by the EU Citizen and should produce evidence of relationship i.e. marriage cert when at the border. A visa in this instance isn’t required.

Remaining in Ireland, UK or any other EU Country for more than 3 months, at that point I’d assume you would’ve settled with a job, rent etc. In which case you’d probably be required to re-apply for the EC Card again. As far as I’m aware the 5 Year Residence Permit isn’t transferable from one country to the other. In doing this you may end up voiding your existing EC Card and may be refused entry in the previous EU Country that issued it if the New application (lets say Ireland) is refused.

If the NON-EU wants to travel alone to another EU Country and their Country of origin requires them to get a visa then that remains the case even if the NON-EU person has the EC card. Obviously the NON-EU won’t need a visa in the EU Country the EC Card was issued.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:30 am

shpirtshqipe wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:47 am

The NON-EU person can travel to any EU country when accompanied by the EU Citizen and should produce evidence of relationship i.e. marriage cert when at the border. A visa in this instance isn’t required.

Remaining in Ireland, UK or any other EU Country for more than 3 months, at that point I’d assume you would’ve settled with a job, rent etc. In which case you’d probably be required to re-apply for the EC Card again. As far as I’m aware the 5 Year Residence Permit isn’t transferable from one country to the other. In doing this you may end up voiding your existing EC Card and may be refused entry in the previous EU Country that issued it if the New application (lets say Ireland) is refused.

If the NON-EU wants to travel alone to another EU Country and their Country of origin requires them to get a visa then that remains the case even if the NON-EU person has the EC card. Obviously the NON-EU won’t need a visa in the EU Country the EC Card was issued.
No, it is not as spouse of EU citizen. The OP has multiple posts across the Ireland and Europe sub forums trying to find a way to move to either area without an EU spouse. OP is a US citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ximon
United States of America

Post by Ximon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:28 pm

CR001, I had a different understanding of the Long-term Resident EC permit. I believe that you are correct that a permanent resident of an EU member country cannot simply move to another member country without applying for permission. But I believe that a Long-term Resident EC permit is a different permit from simply permanent residency as it grants the person basically full freedom of movement within the EU with residency and work rights identical to EU member citizens. However, there are also requirements for renewal every five years, to not leave the EU for more than 12 consecutive months and to maintain sufficient financial resources and health insurance.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content ... 32003L0109

In reading the text of the above EU Directive, it indicates that the Long-term Resident EC directive is not binding on Ireland, UK or Denmark. So I think I now have the answer I was seeking.

Thank for your kind and detailed response.
shpirtshqipe wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:47 am