ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Resident EC

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ximon
United States of America

EU Resident EC

Post by Ximon » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:59 pm

Which EU country is it easiest for a US citizen to get long-term residency with full freedom of movement in the EU known as EU Resident EC and variously as:
Residente de larga duración – UE - Spain
Carte de résident de longue durée – Communauté Européenne - France
Residente CE de longa duração - Portugal

All require five years of residence but I hear that countries like France make it more difficult if you have not paid enough taxes.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Re: EU Resident EC

Post by Caravel88 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:44 am

Germany + EU "blue card". Settlement after 21 months only.
Ximon wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:59 pm
Which EU country is it easiest for a US citizen to get long-term residency with full freedom of movement in the EU known as EU Resident EC and variously as:
Residente de larga duración – UE - Spain
Carte de résident de longue durée – Communauté Européenne - France
Residente CE de longa duração - Portugal

All require five years of residence but I hear that countries like France make it more difficult if you have not paid enough taxes.

Ximon
United States of America

Post by Ximon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:15 pm

Not 5 years but only 21 months to permanent residency with full freedom of movement throughout the EU if you get a Blue Card? To be clear, you are talking about a Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EU?

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlaubnis ... utschland)

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:19 am

Ximon wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:15 pm
Not 5 years but only 21 months to permanent residency with full freedom of movement throughout the EU if you get a Blue Card? To be clear, you are talking about a Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EU?

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlaubnis ... utschland)
No, Daueraufenthalt EU takes 5 years - in any EU country.

A German BlueCard may lead to accelerated settlement but the indefinite residence permit would be one issued under German law. If requirements such as German language skills are met.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Ximon
United States of America

Post by Ximon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:07 pm

Thanks. So if you are settled after 21 months, do you now have the permanent right to live and work in Germany? What about travel throughout the EU?

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:30 pm

Ximon wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:07 pm
Thanks. So if you are settled after 21 months, do you now have the permanent right to live and work in Germany? What about travel throughout the EU?
An indefinite residence permit is indefinite and gives you the right to work and live in Germany as long as you want to. Unless you leave Germany for more than 6 months without telling the alien department beforehand and getting a document that states that your permit will not automatically invalidate during your time away.

With a German residence permit, even one that is not indefinite, so for example BlueCard, you can travel freely for up to 90 days within the Schengen zone and some other countries but you'd have to check those individually. The flag you chose for your profile suggests you are from the US, so in most cases you'd not need a visa/could get visa on arrival for most countries anyway?

If you are after naturalisation in the long term, then Germany might not be the best choice. Residence requirement is 8 years and as legislation stands at this point of time, you'd be required to give up your US citizenship.

Most EU countries offer BlueCard, although Germany is the country that issues the highest number. Anyway, there are European countries that issue BlueCard and accept dual nationality.

Malta could also be an interesting choice: English speaking and route to citizenship is relatively easy.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Ximon
United States of America

Post by Ximon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:45 pm

Thanks. What is the name of the indefinite resident permit you mention that grants indefinite rights to live and work in Germany with a blue Card after 21 months (assuming language level)?

If I receive this indefinite visa from Germany, I have unlimited (as long as I reside in Germany for at least 6 months each year) indefinite right to live and work in Germany but only the right to visit other EU countries for 90 days total? Yes, I am US citizen so I already have visa free travel in the Schengen for up to 90 days.

I did not know that you cannot have dual German -US citizenship but it is only permanent EU residency that I seek.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:17 am

Ximon wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:45 pm
Thanks. What is the name of the indefinite resident permit you mention that grants indefinite rights to live and work in Germany with a blue Card after 21 months (assuming language level)?

If I receive this indefinite visa from Germany, I have unlimited (as long as I reside in Germany for at least 6 months each year) indefinite right to live and work in Germany but only the right to visit other EU countries for 90 days total? Yes, I am US citizen so I already have visa free travel in the Schengen for up to 90 days.

I did not know that you cannot have dual German -US citizenship but it is only permanent EU residency that I seek.
It's an 'unbefristete Niederlassungserlaubnis':

https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/326556/

Well, doing some sort of 6 months in, 6 months out has its own set of problems, like how will you hold down a job, pay health insurance without a job for 6 months, pay rent for a place you don't use, etc. Unless you are independently wealthy anyhow and all that would be pocket change.

The 90 days is what the EU generally regards as visiting, if you go over that in any country, that country's own registration, tax, insurance laws will come into effect and you'd have to apply (and qualify) for a residence permit of that country. As an American with German (or any other EU) permanent residence it's unlikely that you will attract attention but it wouldn't be lawful to just spend 5 months 'visiting' Paris for instance.

Have you checked whether you qualify for BlueCard? Do you work in STEM? Is it likely for you to find an employer that can sponsor you?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:28 am

ALKB wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:17 am
Ximon wrote:

Well, doing some sort of 6 months in, 6 months out has its own set of problems, like how will you hold down a job, pay health insurance without a job for 6 months, pay rent for a place you don't use, etc. Unless you are independently wealthy anyhow and all that would be pocket change.

The 90 days is what the EU generally regards as visiting, if you go over that in any country, that country's own registration, tax, insurance laws will come into effect and you'd have to apply (and qualify) for a residence permit of that country. As an American with German (or any other EU) permanent residence it's unlikely that you will attract attention but it wouldn't be lawful to just spend 5 months 'visiting' Paris for instance.

Have you checked whether you qualify for BlueCard? Do you work in STEM? Is it likely for you to find an employer that can sponsor you?
You should read the numerous posts the OP has posted asking about such routes to Ireland and Europe, many of the same questions have already been answered.

member/Ximon/posts/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ximon
United States of America

Post by Ximon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:37 pm

Thanks a lot. The link is extremely helpful. My long-term plan is to retire to Ireland but I cannot qualify currently under the rules nor do I have a job offer there. The Blue Card path through Germany would be a temporary situation so reading that one could get an indefinite unlimited visa after only 21 months could be a near perfect solution to my longer term goals. I am happy to live full-time in Germany for a few years and then hopefully move freely to Ireland under a Unbefristete Niederlassungserlaubnis after 21 or 33 months or worse case a Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EU after 5 years. But I need to research whether either of these two permits grant me such freedom of movement to Ireland.

Would you know whether the Unbefristete Niederlassungserlaubnis requires the person to continue employment under a Blue Card? It appears that it only requires having a Blue Card for 21-33 months and not beyond but the language is rather vague in this regard.

Thanks again for your feedback.
ALKB wrote:
Ximon wrote:

Ximon
United States of America

Post by Ximon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:40 pm

Yes, I have been on this site recently looking for reasonable paths to permanent residency in the EU.
Unfortunately, my situation is rather unusual and I still do not have most of the answers I seek. In this case, trying to understand how a Unbefristete Niederlassungserlaubnis or a Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EU can lead to permanent residency in Ireland.
CR001 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:28 am
ALKB wrote:
Ximon wrote:

You should read the numerous posts the OP has posted asking about such routes to Ireland and Europe, many of the same questions have already been answered.

member/Ximon/posts/

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:58 am

Ximon wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:37 pm
Thanks a lot. The link is extremely helpful. My long-term plan is to retire to Ireland but I cannot qualify currently under the rules nor do I have a job offer there. The Blue Card path through Germany would be a temporary situation so reading that one could get an indefinite unlimited visa after only 21 months could be a near perfect solution to my longer term goals. I am happy to live full-time in Germany for a few years and then hopefully move freely to Ireland under a Unbefristete Niederlassungserlaubnis after 21 or 33 months or worse case a Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EU after 5 years. But I need to research whether either of these two permits grant me such freedom of movement to Ireland.

Would you know whether the Unbefristete Niederlassungserlaubnis requires the person to continue employment under a Blue Card? It appears that it only requires having a Blue Card for 21-33 months and not beyond but the language is rather vague in this regard.

Thanks again for your feedback.

An unbefristete Niederlassungserlaubnis under German domestic immigration law would enable you to live, be employed, be self-emploeyed, receive benefits if you are in need, pretty much anything a German citizen can do apart from voting. In Germany. You could visit but not reside permanently in other EU countries. The permit issued after 21 months is the same as the one issued after 33 months, only the language requirements are less strict for the 33 month one.

Once you have the indefinite permit you are not obligated to be employed for your permit to remain valid.

As far as I understand, even with a Niederlassungserlaubnis EU, you would not get permanent residence in any EU member state per se, but the member states should 'facilitate' issuance of short term residence permits. Requirements for that seem to differ from country to country.