ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration via Great-Grandparents

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mercuree
Mood:
South Africa

Foreign Birth Registration via Great-Grandparents

Post by mercuree » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:47 am

Hi there,

I was born in South Africa, my father and both his parents were born in England. I have just recently obtained UK citizenship by descent. I am looking into getting our Irish passports pre-Brexit. I have been reading quite a bit and first came across this link https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenshi ... ign-birth/ which makes it all seem very straightforward.

Both of his (deceased) mother's parents were born, and married in Ireland.

I have my grandmother's birth certificate, wedding certificate and her parent's wedding certificate as well my great-grandfather's birth certificate.

Neither my grandmother nor my father have/had Irish citizenship.

It is my understanding that if my father enrols on the Foreign Birth Register, he can get his Irish passport, after which I can enrol on the Foreign Birth Register via my great grandparents using the same process.

So far it all seems very simple. However I came across the following link: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/ci ... rn-ireland which seems to exclude children born after 1986 where the parent was not registered prior to their birth.

I was born in 1987. So does this, definitely, preclude me from gaining my Irish passport even if my father gets his; or is it still worth a shot?

Could anyone provide more guidance or literature on this matter please?

TIA

mattskilondon
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration via Great-Grandparents

Post by mattskilondon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:32 am

Hi there

From what you've described, eligibility for Irish citizenship stops at your father, as he has grandparents who were born in Ireland. The only way you would have been eligible is if your father had already claimed Irish citizenship through FBR before you were born. There are only special circumstances where FBR can be claimed through great-grandparents, e.g. long-standing support and association with Ireland. Sadly, I'm sorry to say I do not think it is worth your applying. Though your father is absolutely eligible.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Matt

mercuree
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Foreign Birth Registration via Great-Grandparents

Post by mercuree » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:15 am

mattskilondon wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:32 am
Hi there

From what you've described, eligibility for Irish citizenship stops at your father, as he has grandparents who were born in Ireland. The only way you would have been eligible is if your father had already claimed Irish citizenship through FBR before you were born. There are only special circumstances where FBR can be claimed through great-grandparents, e.g. long-standing support and association with Ireland. Sadly, I'm sorry to say I do not think it is worth your applying. Though your father is absolutely eligible.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Matt
Hi Matt. Thank you for the feedback!