ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Got student visa. How about old visa?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

Meesha

Got student visa. How about old visa?

Post by Meesha » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:45 pm

Dear Forum members,
My friend has student dependent visa until May 2021. However she recently has got her own student visa from home country which is valid from 15 March 2019. Can she travel on her student dependent visa now as she cant travel on her own student visa until 15 March? Her husband is in Uk and studying.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Got student visa. How about old visa?

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:49 pm

Her dependent visa would have been cancelled when her tier 4 visa was issued
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Meesha

Post by Meesha » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:52 pm

Thanks CR001. She still have her student dependent BRP with her. And UKVI did not say anything about cancellation of old visa or asked her to return it. Should not be her old visa valid until the start of new visa?

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:22 pm

Meesha wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:52 pm
She still have her student dependent BRP with her. And UKVI did not say anything about cancellation of old visa or asked her to return it. Should not be her old visa valid until the start of new visa?
No. See https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... eave-ecb22

If the application is granted and the applicant already has entry clearance beyond the start date of their new visa, they should be told that the extant leave will be cancelled and no refund issued.

If an applicant has a biometric residence permit (BRP) with extant leave, the entry clearance officer (ECO) should retain it for cancellation and contact Biometric Immigration Document Management Unit to cancel the BRP.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.