ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ESTA Application with previous Waiver for Drug Use

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SAwithBP
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

ESTA Application with previous Waiver for Drug Use

Post by SAwithBP » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:18 am

Before I became a british passport holder I applied for a US visa on my south african passport and admitted to having used Drugs in my early 20's.
I was denied the visa but was allowed to apply for a waiver which I subsequently was approved for and the visa was issued for 12 months.
6 years later I acquired a British Passport through my mother and now I need to travel to the US for Work and Training.

I would like to apply for a ESTA but do not know how to answer the questions.

The first question is the one the asks if I am drug addict, which in my eyes am not but I do not know if the Americans consider me to be one.

the Third question, “Have you ever violated any law related to possessing, using, or distributing illegal drugs?”
Technically seeing as I admitted to drug use which is illegal i should answer yes to the above
question?

Question 7, “Have you ever been denied a U.S. visa you applied for with your current or previous passport, or have you ever been refused admission to the United States or withdrawn your application for admission at a U.S. port of entry?”
I assume I should answer yes to the above question as the visa was initially denied but then issued?

any advice on the way forward would be appreciated, I would Ideally apply for Visitors visa on My South African passport to avoid having that waiver in my british passport.