ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Two 15 year old misdemeanors?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Gbyeusa
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Two 15 year old misdemeanors?

Post by Gbyeusa » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:16 pm

Anyone know which EU countries I can move to? I have a couple misdemeanors from when I was in my early 20's. My spouse is a highly skilled worker in a technical field. We have children. He has one misdemeanor also from 15 years ago. Many people in the US do have a criminal record, More people incarcerated here than anywhere else in the world, I believe. I'm hoping there are EU countries that will still take us. We really do not want to live in the US anymore. Any info would be great, or leads to a good I'm migration lawyer that has a low cost for an initial consultation. Thank you!

Casa

Re: Two 15 year old misdemeanors?

Post by Casa » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:20 pm

Gbyeusa wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:16 pm
Anyone know which EU countries I can move to? I have a couple misdemeanors from when I was in my early 20's. My spouse is a highly skilled worker in a technical field. We have children. He has one misdemeanor also from 15 years ago. Many people in the US do have a criminal record, More people incarcerated here than anywhere else in the world, I believe. I'm hoping there are EU countries that will still take us. We really do not want to live in the US anymore. Any info would be great, or leads to a good I'm migration lawyer that has a low cost for an initial consultation. Thank you!
Under the Board Ts&Cs, members are not permitted to post professional recommendations on the open forum.

How serious were the 'misdemeanors' :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Gbyeusa
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Gbyeusa » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:31 pm

One Class A, and the other was whatever the least serious is.
The class A was child neglect :( I was trying an anti anxiety medication (prescribed to me) and it affected my judgement. I parked in a parking spot closest to the store I was going to, my child was I'll and was in their car seat (finally) sleeping, so I went in and was buying tea. It was all up front and in sight of the car. However, the line was longer than I'd hoped and it took about 15 minutes. I was not calculating time correctly due to the medication. A police officer met me at my car and said he had watched me go in and it's neglectful to leave a child in the car for that long. Mind you, it was 60 degrees and my car was in sight of where I was at. However, I do think I'd have made different choices had I not been trying out this medication.
The other was a marijuana possession charge. My spouse had an asthma attack that required an ambulance. I let the police come in as well, and they searched my home and as a 22 year old, I did have a small amount of marijuana in my home. Dumb young person mistakes.

I'm almost 40 now... I'm hoping I still have a chance to move out of the US (to somewhere nice)

Do they interview you and ask for details? I really hope I didn't blow it.

Gbyeusa
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Gbyeusa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:17 am

***shortened version, can you erase the lengthy, overly detailed version and use this one? The other is kinda long winded. Thanks

One class A misdemeanor, bad match for an anxiety medication that resulted in a child neglect charge. (Left in car while I went in to pay... With vehicle in sight... 60 degree day, not for long, he is fine)
The other misdemeanor is a marijuana possession charge... It was a small amount. This occurred before the other charge. This is also my spouses charge.
I never needed jail time. I was on probation for a short time while I took a parenting class. I was 22 or 23. I'm now late 30's.
Hope I didn't blow it :(

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:51 pm

This stuff happened a long time ago.
I don't see why you shouldn't be treated like anyone else with a "clean" record.

As a highly skilled worker I highly urge you to go to Germany.
Administrative processes work really well, they apply the law, they seek technical people, they are welcoming and life is pretty great.

You will have to learn German though to really "live" even if it is not recommended.

This webpage has a lot of info (it's official) : https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/

What are your professions?
Gbyeusa wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:17 am
***shortened version, can you erase the lengthy, overly detailed version and use this one? The other is kinda long winded. Thanks

One class A misdemeanor, bad match for an anxiety medication that resulted in a child neglect charge. (Left in car while I went in to pay... With vehicle in sight... 60 degree day, not for long, he is fine)
The other misdemeanor is a marijuana possession charge... It was a small amount. This occurred before the other charge. This is also my spouses charge.
I never needed jail time. I was on probation for a short time while I took a parenting class. I was 22 or 23. I'm now late 30's.
Hope I didn't blow it :(

Gbyeusa
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Gbyeusa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:34 pm

Thank you.
He's in IT and has over 20 years in the field. He's a Voip Cisco guy and has done sales, management, and also has instructed.
I stay at home with the kids but I am considering getting TEFL certification.
Germany really hasn't been on the radar, but I will look into it.

Thanks a lot for your input!

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:30 pm

Good luck.
If he gets a visa if you are married you can also move with your spouse.

Which country/countries were you thinking?
Gbyeusa wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:34 pm
Thank you.
He's in IT and has over 20 years in the field. He's a Voip Cisco guy and has done sales, management, and also has instructed.
I stay at home with the kids but I am considering getting TEFL certification.
Germany really hasn't been on the radar, but I will look into it.

Thanks a lot for your input!