ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IRP renew (on stamp1)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tastestory
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

IRP renew (on stamp1)

Post by tastestory » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi, I have a quick question about the IRP registration renew date. I know the registration will be renewed for one year, but which date will be counted as the starting date for that 1-year period? the expiry date of my last registration OR the date I actually go to the registration office for the renewal appointment?

It is suggested to schedule a renewal appointment during the 2 week period before expiry, so it may only have a difference of two weeks, but that slight timing difference might be critical in my case. If you've renewed IRP recently or before, could you share a bit of your experience? Many thanks :)

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: IRP renew (on stamp1)

Post by littlerr » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:31 pm

It depends.

If it’s based on work (Stamp 1 or 4) the new stamp starts on the renewal date and expires one or two years after the renewal date.

If it’s based on student / trainee (Stamp 2 or 1a) they normally give you a fixed end date (normally end of September or March in most scenarios). So no matter if you renew it in August, September or October, the end date is always 30 September.

How will it make a big difference in your case if you don’t mind me asking?

tastestory
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by tastestory » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:02 pm

Thanks for the information! @littlerr.

Here's my situation: My work permit is valid from 31/8/2018 to 30/8/2020 and my first IRP registration was on 25/10/2018. Instead of a full year from the registration date, they only gave me a year based on the starting date of my work permit, so my current IRP will expire on 30/08/2019 (not 24/10/2019...I don't know if that's common but later I found my other colleagues got an entire year starting from their registration dates.)

If I make a renewal appointment two weeks before the expiry of my current registration (let's say on 16/08/2019) and the renewal lasts for one year, it will expire on 15/08/2020, leaving a short period uncovered (16/8/2020 - 30/8/2020). To work legally for the last two weeks of my work permit valid period, would I need to renew my IRP again in Aug 2020 just to cover the 2-week gap? That would mean another hassle of appointment booking and 300EUR extra ... :(

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:17 pm

Which work permit do you have?

If you hold critical skills permit, your scenario is the most common one. You don’t just keep working until the permit expires. Instead you will need to apply for a support letter for stamp 4 three months before your work permit expires. Once you have that letter, you can get a stamp 4 right away, regardless of when your work permit expires.

If you hold other permits, you will need to renew your permit long before it expires anyway. Again that two weeks won’t matter at all.

tastestory
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by tastestory » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:49 pm

littlerr wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:17 pm
Which work permit do you have?

If you hold critical skills permit, your scenario is the most common one. You don’t just keep working until the permit expires. Instead you will need to apply for a support letter for stamp 4 three months before your work permit expires. Once you have that letter, you can get a stamp 4 right away, regardless of when your work permit expires.

If you hold other permits, you will need to renew your permit long before it expires anyway. Again that two weeks won’t matter at all.
I hold critical skill permit. I was worried that I may not be able to get the stamp 4 support letter by the time of renewal as the recent processing time for that letter is very long. Then I read in another thread that the registration could be extended temporarily in that case. Then it should be fine :)

I wish the registration office could be less arbitrary when deciding expiry dates though. If they followed the same practice, people wouldn't have such confusion. Anyway, thank you so much for the very helpful information!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:38 pm

No problem.
I got my 3 month extension (free of charge) while waiting for the support letter. That was when the support letter thing was first introduced. I think it’s kinda becoming a norm now as they are slower and slower every year.