ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New UKVCAS service timelines. Travelling in 2 months

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

swanky101
Newly Registered

New UKVCAS service timelines. Travelling in 2 months

Post by swanky101 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi,

Looking for advise on Naturalisation and Passport process post 2nd November. From what I have gathered so far is:

1. I can no longer apply for Naturalisation and passport at the same time.
2. NCS is now scrapped and UKVCAS is the right medium to submit verified documents.

I have recently received ILR on 18-Jan and eligible to apply for naturalisation as a spouse of British national. What I am unsure of is timelines however given the process is serial.

I have to travel for a conference to Germany at the end of April. My understanding, once I apply for naturalisation, I can no longer travel until I receive passport (which may take 6 weeks). So is it better if I wait until I return and apply for schengen visa instead?

I would be most grateful is someone can help with timelines for naturalisation and passport both? Is there something similar to priority service in the process?
Kindly advise

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: New UKVCAS service timelines. Travelling in 2 months

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:55 pm

My understanding, once I apply for naturalisation, I can no longer travel until I receive passport (which may take 6 weeks). So is it better if I wait until I return and apply for schengen visa instead?
Your understanding is wrong. You are free to travel once you have applied. The travel restriction applies to visa and ILR applications only.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

skyscraper101

Post by skyscraper101 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:16 pm

You can travel anytime. The main benefit of UKVCAS is not having to surrender your passport anymore.

swanky101
Newly Registered

Post by swanky101 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Thank you for correction. Let me explain my line of thought here-> Gov website says that I will receive a confirmation of application within 4 weeks and decision will be made within 6 months of application.

Say I submit my Online application and submit docs via UKVCAS within next 2 weeks. Now, there are 2 scenarios:
A. (more optimistic one): I get decision with certificate of British citizenship within next 2 months and plan to travel to Berlin at the end of April, so I have to submit my BRP within 5 days of receiving the certificate.
Will I be able to travel with just certificate of citizenship (my understanding is No)? What happens if the decision comes when I am away?
B. I postpone naturalisation application until I return. (In this case I should apply for schengen travel visa and travel on my current ILR BRP)

Considering SLA of decision being 6 months and nothing in my hands, I am assuming safer option is to go ahead with Option B as I would really like to go to conference.

Is my line of thought still incorrect? Can you please help elaborate, by what you meant when you said that I am free to travel outside of country?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:08 pm

A. (more optimistic one): I get decision with certificate of British citizenship within next 2 months and plan to travel to Berlin at the end of April, so I have to submit my BRP within 5 days of receiving the certificate.
Will I be able to travel with just certificate of citizenship (my understanding is No)? What happens if the decision comes when I am away?
You don't get your certificate with your decision. You have to attend the ceremony to get your certificate and you can schedule that accordingly for after you travel. A certificate is not a travel document. Simply a piece of paper that airlines are unlikely to accept.
B. I postpone naturalisation application until I return. (In this case I should apply for schengen travel visa and travel on my current ILR BRP)
Your choice if you choose to do this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:13 pm

swanky101 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:03 pm
Thank you for correction. Let me explain my line of thought here-> Gov website says that I will receive a confirmation of application within 4 weeks and decision will be made within 6 months of application.

Say I submit my Online application and submit docs via UKVCAS within next 2 weeks. Now, there are 2 scenarios:

Considering SLA of decision being 6 months and nothing in my hands, I am assuming safer option is to go ahead with Option B as I would really like to go to conference.

Is my line of thought still incorrect? Can you please help elaborate, by what you meant when you said that I am free to travel outside of country?

Thank you.
The schengen visa only takes 4-5 working days to come through if you are from a low risk country and have a clean record. If I was in your position, I would apply for citizenship. If it comes in time great, if not then apply for schengen closer to your travel date. Its your choice :)

swanky101
Newly Registered

Post by swanky101 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:28 pm

Thank you all so much. I guess the missing hole in my understanding was about citizenship ceremony which I can schedule later on, once am back. I am definitely more clear about what do now and will apply for naturalisation now and take it forward from there.

Thank you all, very grateful.