ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR holder claimed Child Benefit for "No Resource to Public Fund" child

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Everyday4u
Mood:
Iran

ILR holder claimed Child Benefit for "No Resource to Public Fund" child

Post by Everyday4u » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:49 pm

Hello

I apologize if this question has been asked several time in past. But i shall appreciate if a senior knowledgeable member could shed some light on it please?

I have Indefinite Leave To Remain since 2013 and my son born abroad in 2016. My son and wife came to UK in 2018 on spouse dependent Visa which means both BRP card says "No Resource to Public Fund".

However, i applied for child benefit after his arrival and clearly mentioned in child benefit claim form that my wife and son both are "Subject to Immigration Control". I sent my Passport, ILR and my son Passport, BRP Card and Birth Certificate to Child Benefit Office which returned to me after a week and Child Benefit Office approved my claim and sent me letter in my name with subject "About your Child Benefit". i have been receiving £20.72 per week.

I am now worried as different people saying different things, some say i am entitled to apply as ILR holder and it shall not affect his FLR extension but other say it may have adverse affect on his FLR as child benefit is mean tested.

I approach this form to get assistance and correct information. Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR holder claimed Child Benefit for "No Resource to Public Fund" child

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:38 pm

No issue. You claim as the parent NOT the child!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Everyday4u
Mood:
Iran

Post by Everyday4u » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:25 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:38 pm
@CR001

Thank you very much for reply. Having a bit of Relief now.

Secondly, My wife does not work as she looks after the child and we are expecting second one soon. I am the only bread winner in household. We are financially sound at current but just for information as circumstances keep changing over time in one's life. In case if our household income goes low causing us to claim certain benefit such as Child Tax credit/ Working Tax credit or now they call it Universal Tax credit. Do you think claiming such benefit would have any negative impact of their FLR extensions and ILR? Cheers.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Everyday4u wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:25 pm
CR001 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:38 pm
@CR001

Thank you very much for reply. Having a bit of Relief now.

Secondly, My wife does not work as she looks after the child and we are expecting second one soon. I am the only bread winner in household. We are financially sound at current but just for information as circumstances keep changing over time in one's life. In case if our household income goes low causing us to claim certain benefit such as Child Tax credit/ Working Tax credit or now they call it Universal Tax credit. Do you think claiming such benefit would have any negative impact of their FLR extensions and ILR? Cheers.
I have no idea of the amount you need to earn to sponsor your family for FLR extensions and ILR.

For the "circumstances keep changing over time in one's life", smart people financially plan for that as we have no idea what benefits will be available in the future or how little that would be. Take out insurance for any loss of job, or being too sick to work, life assurance, as they pay out a lot more money than any benefit system. Think of them like a fire insuranace policy, you take it out by hope you will never need it.

Your wife shoud take out a private pension too and you should pay that as she is working, looking after your children. Under the present rules, the government will pay some into that, but you never know if that will reduce/end under a future government. The sooner she starts that pension,the better it will be when you both retire. You don't want to end up in poverty in your old age.

Previous UK governnents have announced that they would be stopping UK's benfits from being "a magnet to the UK" and these Welfare laws are in. As expected, there is going to be lower benefit money for many, a 2 child limit, different requirements to be met and up to 3 year benefit sanctions. i.e. Both you and your wife would have to work under Universal Credit. You can play with the benefit calculators to see what you would be given if you were claiming today, but that amount can be reduced under future benefit changes, even if these reductions are already known.
https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators