ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When you first arrived in the UK + Previous Applications

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dkhomyshin
Newly Registered
Russia

When you first arrived in the UK + Previous Applications

Post by dkhomyshin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi,

I'm in the process of applying for naturalisation on the basis of having lived in the UK for 5 years with a Tier2 visa + a year with an ILR. I first arrived in the UK in September to do my master's in September 2011 and was granted my first Tier2 visa in March 2013. Which of the days am I meant to put in the 'When did you first arrive in the UK?' question of the new online application form? If it's the Tier2, what would be the place of arrival (I was already in the UK when I was granted my Tier2)?

Also, even though I was granted my first Tier2 in March 2013, I got my ILR in February 2018 (as I used a premium service 20 days earlier). Am I okay to apply for naturalisation now (it's been over a year since I got my ILR) or do I need to ensure it's been 6 years since I was granted my first Tier2?

I also can't remember the dates when I applied for some of my previous visas. Is it better to leave the dates blank in that case or put the dates those visas were granted? If I don't have reference number, should I put visa numbers on the form?

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Denis

vaza
Cayman Islands

Re: When you first arrived in the UK + Previous Applications

Post by vaza » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:16 am

As understand first arrival is first arrival for any long term purpose. I am not clear if coming as a visitor is included or not. I don't count that. For other cases (not yours) I am not sure what happens if there is a large gap (years) between residences, but I don't think the question is meant to cover all eventualities.

Law and instructions are 5 years of residence, being in the UK exactly 5 years ago and 1 year of freedom of immigration control (ILR in your case), so you should be fine (assuming you meet all other criteria). If you have concerns, however, maybe you can wait a month. As someone put it nicely in another post "you don't have to apply by "due" date" :).

Previous applications: you don't have to provide exact dates. The online form allows just year or month and year and that's what I did. I also used visa reference numbers, although I had to guess which one as there were 2 or 3 on some of them.

alvarosans
Newly Registered
Azerbaijan

Re: When you first arrived in the UK + Previous Applications

Post by alvarosans » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 am

This is a good question. And I came across the same enquiry when filling in the online AN form.

I first came to UK as a student for a degree programme ( 1year +) and then with various business visas and then work visa which led to ILR. So I met the five year residence requirement for work visa+ ILR.

But shall I put in the work visa date for this question or student visa date?