ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jpauls
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by jpauls » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:05 pm

mayorob wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:59 pm

How strict are they regarding certificates? I unfortunately don't have any genuine 'originals', i.e. from decades ago. The death certificate of my grandparent is a 'certified copy', and the certificates I have arriving in the post regarding my parent are from gro.gov.uk, which I assume won't be an 'original'.
These should be perfectly fine. Certified copies are considered originals from what I understand. I ordered certified copies of every document I needed for submission and was approved back in November.

mayorob
Newly Registered

Post by mayorob » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:06 pm

mikef wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:03 pm
mayorob wrote:
Hi all, hope you're well. Apologies in advance for this as I know you will have heard this before, but unfortunately I'm fully stressing out getting all of this documentation and I would rather not read through 62 pages of this thread :D.

I'm applying via an Irish born grandparent (parent hasn't yet done the process of registering birth).

How strict are they regarding certificates? I unfortunately don't have any genuine 'originals', i.e. from decades ago. The death certificate of my grandparent is a 'certified copy', and the certificates I have arriving in the post regarding my parent are from gro.gov.uk, which I assume won't be an 'original'.

Do they get picky about this? Ultimately it is an official document, ordered directly from the Government, which proves my Irish status. If this doesn't count as 'official', and if you're unable to get the genuine original, then what would count as an 'original'? I'm a little confused.

Any help would be massively appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Official copies you order from GRO are fine as the originals may have been lost etc. Personally I would order an official copy of the death certificate for your grandfather, as I suspect they may reject the certified copy.
Thanks Mike, much appreciated. This is what confuses me though, the death certificate I have (it's actually my grandmother) is a 'certified copy' and it's from the GRO as well. So slightly perplexed!

mayorob
Newly Registered

Post by mayorob » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:07 pm

jpauls wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:05 pm
mayorob wrote:

These should be perfectly fine. Certified copies are considered originals from what I understand. I ordered certified copies of every document I needed for submission and was approved back in November.
Perfect, that's really good news.

Thanks for your replies ladies/gents! Feeling more relieved now.

mayorob
Newly Registered

Post by mayorob » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:14 pm

Second question from me. Probably many more to come.... :oops:

On your timelines when you guys refer to the date your documents were received by X location, did you receive a notification or is it just a result of your tracked delivery telling you they had arrived?

Mine is saying to deliver direct to Dublin as I didn't go via an embassy so not sure how that impacts.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:17 pm

How are you still waiting since July?!?!

Applications from 8/2 have been processed, delivered and pending in the passport system already. Im 8/21 and there was a post that an application from Sept was already processed!!

Wtf is going on here??

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:20 pm

mayorob wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:07 pm
jpauls wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:05 pm
mayorob wrote:

Perfect, that's really good news.

Thanks for your replies ladies/gents! Feeling more relieved now.
To clearify: your parents, the children of irish born citizens to NOT need to apply for the FBR. They skip that skep and go directy to the passport application process. Children of parents born in Ireland or northern Ireland are already citizens.

Koolboy
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Koolboy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:47 pm

Mike & Brawn
We are in the same boat.
Applied on 16th July through London embassy.
No news yet.

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:57 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:17 pm
Goodness only knows but I can only assume it is a perfect storm of increased applications, Brexit (boo, hiss) and an office relocation / change of procedures at the DFA.

Hopefully I’ll hear something before the 8 month mark, but I’m not getting my hopes up!

Good luck with yours Michael, and you too Koolboy

mikef
Newly Registered

Post by mikef » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 am

mayorob wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:14 pm
Second question from me. Probably many more to come.... :oops:

On your timelines when you guys refer to the date your documents were received by X location, did you receive a notification or is it just a result of your tracked delivery telling you they had arrived?

Mine is saying to deliver direct to Dublin as I didn't go via an embassy so not sure how that impacts.
In my case I got an acknowledgement email that "Your application and supporting documentation for your application for Foreign Birth Registration has now been received. Applications can take up to 6 months to process and we will be in touch with you should we require any additional documentation or clarifications."

Since then nothing...

rdslight
Newly Registered

Post by rdslight » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:26 am

mikef wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:51 pm
oction wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:03 pm
james_mcfc wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:08 pm
Pleased to report that I have now received my FBR certificate!

So my final timeline is:

17/07/2018 Application submitted online (No. ***424)
25/07/2018 Documents received by London Embassy
16/11/2018 Response received to my email to the FBR team stating application had been put forward for approval
27/11/2018 Application approved and entered into FBR
22/01/2019 FBR certificate received with returned supporting documents.

So I’m just a couple of days short of the 6 month turnaround time based on the date the Embassy received my documents.

Now onto the passport application for me; as someone else suggested earlier in the thread I requested the form ahead of time from the Embassy. Good idea!

Good luck to those of you still waiting.
Thanks for this James -- very useful, as I believe your post is the closest match to my currently-open application, which only has the following to report:

25/07/2018 Application submitted online
01/08/2018 Documents received by London Embassy

So I am at the 6 month mark, pretty much. I've not had any further contact since then, so just rang up the FBR team, and slightly frustratingly my application doesn't seem to have really progressed at all yet. It's very interesting considering my application was confirmed to be received a week after the one above. So it would seem to indicate that the process is pretty much completely random in terms of processing order.

Oh well, let the waiting continue!
Just wondered if oction had any more news - my details are below and it would also appear that at 6.5 months my application hasn't even been checked yet. Are other people still waiting after this long ?

24/07/2018 Application submitted online
31/07/2018 Documents received by London Embassy

Mike
Hi Mike, same boat almost exactly. Application received 30/07 and still nothing.

BW

Bob

mayorob
Newly Registered

Post by mayorob » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:11 am

Michael123 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:20 pm
To clearify: your parents, the children of irish born citizens to NOT need to apply for the FBR. They skip that skep and go directy to the passport application process. Children of parents born in Ireland or northern Ireland are already citizens.
Thanks mate, understood. My parent is not in the process of doing this anyway at the moment, but I will let them know this anyway.
mikef wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 am
In my case I got an acknowledgement email that "Your application and supporting documentation for your application for Foreign Birth Registration has now been received. Applications can take up to 6 months to process and we will be in touch with you should we require any additional documentation or clarifications."

Since then nothing...
Thanks for the clarification. Annoying there isn't any further tracking method but never mind!

Aussie_MJ
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Aussie_MJ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am

Michael123 wrote:

Applications from 8/2 have been processed, delivered and pending in the passport system already. Im 8/21 and there was a post that an application from Sept was already processed!!

Wtf is going on here??
I applied on 04/09/18 and called last week and was told it will likely be at least another two to three months. Very frustrating as this will take me over the initial 6 month timeline provided.

clongwill
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by clongwill » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:34 am

Michael123 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:26 pm
emlyn wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:55 pm
Hello again all, my timeline so far:
  • Monday 14/1/2019: Application in transit, via Royal Mail Special Delivery.
  • Tuesday 15/1/2019: The tracked mail arrived at Irish Embassy in London, signed for at reception.
  • Monday 21/1/2019: I sent an email to London DFA seeking confirmation of receipt of my FBR application.
  • Friday 25/1/2019: No response received to email, so used the webchat via the DFA website to follow-up (the FBR webpage directed me to). Although the lady I chatted with was very helpful, she said that it was just for passport queries.
  • Monday 11/2/2019: Email reply to my query of 21/1/2019, confirming that my FBR application has been received and that it will be processed in Dublin. The email also stated that: "All Foreign Birth Registration applications are now processed by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Dublin. In order to provide a more efficient and responsive service to our customers, we have transferred our customer service platform to Live Chat..."
So the webchat contact option was obviously in the works but it appears I tried to use it too early :lol:

Also noticed today that the Citizenship page of the DFA website has the following statement regarding Foreign Birth Registration:
Foreign Birth Registration, by its nature, can be a detailed and complex process often involving official documentation related to three generations and issued by several jurisdictions. Along with an increase in the number of applications received, an increase of incomplete applications has also been seen. Approximately 50% of applications received are not complete. Applications requiring clarification or further documents take longer to process. In addition, these incomplete applications delay the processing of the complete applications.

Applications generally take 5-6 months to process from the time all the required documentation has been submitted to the Foreign Births Registration team. In 2018, 88% of applications for Foreign Birth Registration were processed within six months.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has responded to increased demand by creating a new, dedicated Foreign Birth Registration team, by reviewing and streamlining our processes, introducing improvements for efficiency and security. The new processes being introduced will create efficiencies to allow us to manage the increased volume of applications. These improvements will be rolled out in the coming weeks and months.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade recently established a centralised Customer Service Hub to manage all queries related to foreign birth registration/ citizenship by descent, and passport applications. To improve our service to our customers, and to ensure that we are compliant with GDPR and Data Protection legislation, communication with our customers is now received via our LiveChat service and by phone instead of by email.

Our Embassy in London and Consulate General in Edinburgh no longer process Foreign Birth Registration, as these have been centralised to the Foreign Birth Registration team in Dublin. Queries regarding applications for Foreign Birth Registration should be directed to our Customer Service Hub, where they will be handled by telephone or LiveChat.

7 February 2019

That is not entirely accurate, the FBR office is no longer in Dublin, they have relocated. I hope the send your application to the correct address.

The office is still in Dublin - they have just moved up the road to Balbriggan. I shouldn't think it was too major a move, probably only 30km away. I'm sure if anything was sent to the old address during or after the move, it will be redirected. My office moved from same building as FBR used to be in 12 years ago - we still get post to the old address which the post office know to redirect.

rdslight
Newly Registered

Post by rdslight » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:00 pm

Called today, very pleasant chap. Told it’s in the last stage and gone off for management approval. Basically they have been inundated with goings on around Brexit!

Hopefully not too much longer....

Bob

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:52 pm

sean015 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:39 pm
Passport Update:

As of today, I am now in the tracking system and it says:

"The estimated* issue date for your Passport is: 20/03/2019."

So it seems that the 8 weeks they told me as to when I should receive it may be pretty accurate.
Sean,
When I did my passport application in the summer of 2018 the original date provided in the Passport Tracker was the Exact Date my application was approved. No Delays.
I hope you have the same experience with your passport application!
(I am on this forum because I have 2 FBR's pending for my sons. The applications were received in Dublin on August 22nd...still waiting)

156Nathan
Newly Registered

Post by 156Nathan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi guys, a little update for you.

I am at Passport stage, however, I was browsing the Irish passport Twitter page and someone enquired about a Medical Doctor being a witness for the FBR. I used a medical doctor to witness my application last year and this was fine, however they have stated that a Medical Doctor is now NOT permitted to witness a FBR application.

In regards to my Passport progress, my application was put into the tracker on December 19th 2018, with an estimated issue date of Feb 1st, however, it’s still at processing stage so there must be a major backlog with those. This Friday I will be at 8 weeks waiting time.

spiderplants

Post by spiderplants » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:04 pm

Aussie_MJ wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am
Michael123 wrote:

Wtf is going on here??
I applied on 04/09/18 and called last week and was told it will likely be at least another two to three months. Very frustrating as this will take me over the initial 6 month timeline provided.

You're before me but same month so that is frustrating. I'll feel better when I start to see good news from some of the August applicants - will feel things are moving then.

However, out of curiosity, I looked back at some of the posts from 2017 and a 7 month wait was pretty standard even then. It just feels like no-one has posted a timeline from start to finish for quite a while.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:08 am

upliam wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:52 pm
sean015 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:39 pm
Passport Update:

As of today, I am now in the tracking system and it says:

"The estimated* issue date for your Passport is: 20/03/2019."

So it seems that the 8 weeks they told me as to when I should receive it may be pretty accurate.
Sean,
When I did my passport application in the summer of 2018 the original date provided in the Passport Tracker was the Exact Date my application was approved. No Delays.
I hope you have the same experience with your passport application!
(I am on this forum because I have 2 FBR's pending for my sons. The applications were received in Dublin on August 22nd...still waiting)
Liam, are you aware that you need to be a citizen before the birth of your child for the child to be eligible?

khiggs67
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by khiggs67 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:52 am

So I've had no luck contacting GRO. Can they do searches to see if my Grandfather was registered in FBR? I have no proof to submit

mayorob
Newly Registered

Post by mayorob » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:51 am

Does anyone have any indication as to how strict they are regarding witnesses? I'm struggling a little to find somebody appropriate.

I work for a bank in the Digital department - could I ask my boss to witness my application? He's technically a manager in a bank, even if he's not a 'bank manager' of a branch. Do you think that would suffice? Or even one of the assistant managers?

Similarly, they mention a police officer as an example. I assume someone who works as a case handler in the police wouldn't suffice?

Aussie_MJ
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Aussie_MJ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:25 am

spiderplants wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:04 pm
Aussie_MJ wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am
Michael123 wrote:

Wtf is going on here??

You're before me but same month so that is frustrating. I'll feel better when I start to see good news from some of the August applicants - will feel things are moving then.

However, out of curiosity, I looked back at some of the posts from 2017 and a 7 month wait was pretty standard even then. It just feels like no-one has posted a timeline from start to finish for quite a while.
I am on a webchat to them now and they have told me they are processing July applications...they seem to have gone backwards as when I called them on 3rd January they were processing August. Really doesn't seem to be any logic to how they are moving through the queue.

His direct quote ''There would be a select few from start of August been processed but the majority of applications been checked at present would be July, we would also be still checking applications for each month of the year. It depends on the complexity of each application, if one person does not send in one document that would delay the process further. If we received yours in September it would be at least 6 months from then therefore it would be at least March before you get it. But as stated it could be longer.'"

Larran2019
Newly Registered

Post by Larran2019 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 am

Wow, there's a lot of people in the same boat!

I sent my FBR off on December 4th 2018 and I'm slightly concerned as I have had no email receipt or any kind of confirmation from them. I sent it next day recorded delivery so I can see that it was received. Should I be worried? It seems like everybody else has had an email in the next day or two.

I've tried calling the Embassy today but their phone line isn't even accepting calls, saying that due to a high volume of calls they cannot accept any calls at the moment and then it cuts off. I can't use the webchat that you get directed to from the new 'Customer Service Hub' page as I need to have a passport application number to proceed.. which I don't have :|

Thanks in advance for any help!

Larran2019
Newly Registered

Post by Larran2019 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:14 am

Larran2019 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 am
Wow, there's a lot of people in the same boat!

I sent my FBR off on December 4th 2018 and I'm slightly concerned as I have had no email receipt or any kind of confirmation from them. I sent it next day recorded delivery so I can see that it was received. Should I be worried? It seems like everybody else has had an email in the next day or two.

I've tried calling the Embassy today but their phone line isn't even accepting calls, saying that due to a high volume of calls they cannot accept any calls at the moment and then it cuts off. I can't use the webchat that you get directed to from the new 'Customer Service Hub' page as I need to have a passport application number to proceed.. which I don't have :|

Thanks in advance for any help!
Update: I managed to get on chat and I've just been told this: All applications submitted to our Embassy in London between August and December are now being processed in our new processing office in Balbriggan - that office are in the process of opening envelopes and sending receipt confirmation emails to applicants, you should receive a receipt confirmation e-mail in the next few weeks to confirm your application has been received and is in a queue for processing

kathleen18
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by kathleen18 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Hello All
A query about the actual form that is issued when one is put onto the foreign birth register.
I was delighted to become an Irish Citizen in May 2018 and to be sent a Certified True Copy of my entry in the Foreign Birth Register. It is printed in black ink on white paper, with a faint background of a harp and the word 'copy ' many times also as a faint background
Towards the end of 2018 I applied for an Irish passport. The passport office have sent the FB reg cert back to me as they say that I've photocopied it and that it should have been issued on coloured paper. I have certainly not photocopied this cert. I would be interested to hear from anyone else on this forum who has got their Foreign Birth Registration- what does the actual document look like?
thanks
Kathleen

james_mcfc
Newly Registered

Post by james_mcfc » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:15 pm

kathleen18 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 pm
Hello All
A query about the actual form that is issued when one is put onto the foreign birth register.
I was delighted to become an Irish Citizen in May 2018 and to be sent a Certified True Copy of my entry in the Foreign Birth Register. It is printed in black ink on white paper, with a faint background of a harp and the word 'copy ' many times also as a faint background
Towards the end of 2018 I applied for an Irish passport. The passport office have sent the FB reg cert back to me as they say that I've photocopied it and that it should have been issued on coloured paper. I have certainly not photocopied this cert. I would be interested to hear from anyone else on this forum who has got their Foreign Birth Registration- what does the actual document look like?
thanks
Kathleen
HI, I definitely received one matching the passport office’s description - it was on blueish green paper with the harp embossed in shiny gold. I’d get in touch with the FBR office and ask them about it if I were you.

An update on my passport situation while I’m here - I sent it through the Passport Express service in Liverpool last Wednesday (6th) and the tracking has updated today to show it being received today, with an estimated issue date for the passport of 8th March (my birthday; would be a nice present! :D )