ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query about OCI renewal for a child in London

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

annpgeorge

Query about OCI renewal for a child in London

Post by annpgeorge » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:56 am

Hi all,
The last time I applied for son's OCI was before it was outsourced to VFS so apologies if my questions have already been asked here. It they have, I'd appreciate being re-directed to the post. I've gone through the VFS procedure and had some doubts. I still haven't applied for his passport renewal - I am just trying to plan ahead - I have found that applying for a child's British passport is so much easier than the OCI!

My son's background is - his first British passport expires in Jan 2020 and we plan on traveling to India this July (return in Sept). Due to the requirement of needing 6 months beyond return to the UK, I plan on renewing his British passport before we leave which means he needs a renewed OCI as well so I need to start the process early on.

1. As we reside in the SE of London, we could go the Hounslow or Goswell office - which office do you recommend based on your experience?

2. About the application procedure, what I understand is that
  • I will need to make an online application for OCI Misc services
  • Print the submitted the form
  • Make an appointment (Or can I just walk in?) to submit the printed application and supporting documents (originals + copies of old passport, OCI document, new passport)
  • Wait for the status report to show that the application has been approved and returned to London.
  • Print the online status and along with required documents, go back to the VFS office in person (again do I need an appointment?) OR can I just send the online status and supporting documents by recorded mail to the VFS office (I remember sending some self attested documents by post for his first OCI but not sure when in the process that was hence this question)
  • Wait for return of passport and OCI by post
3. I noticed a lot of posts mentioning that they were made to buy two SD envelopes in the centre itself - is that still the case? What are "all other operational charges" they have mentioned on their page? Can one pay by card?

4. On the whole, what is the general turn around from submission of documents for renewal to receiving it finally?

5. Any other "formalities" not mentioned on the VFS website that I should be aware of?

6. At anytime during the visits to the VFS office, does my 4 year old need to be with me?