ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by Michael123 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Can someone post the webchat address or link for the FBR? I found the passport webchat but my FBR application number wont work there.

Fanikhan15
Ireland

Post by Fanikhan15 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:40 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:33 pm
Can someone post the webchat address or link for the FBR? I found the passport webchat but my FBR application number wont work there.
https://passporttracking.dfa.ie/

click on chat now image

Fanikhan15
Ireland

Post by Fanikhan15 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:44 pm

Mak2386 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:34 pm
Fanikhan15 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:27 pm
Aizaz wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:28 am
Fanikhan15 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:14 pm

Any update for your application Bluemoon?
Hi Fani how long u been applied for ,, as bluemoon application delayed I am disappointed but any suggestion from you ? I have no idea what to do as I have applied for around year.... bluemoon must get feedback but why they just delaying only ours application very unprofessional tactics ....
Nearly 14 months they like to delay our applications ..wait n see
Guys,
I got my all documents back along with rejection letter.
IN LETTER, they have not mentioned any reason but this line " Application has been rejected because of insufficient documents" ,,
Whatever document they have asked, i have been provided in all original. Seems like the case of discrimination. I have had hired the very famous laywer from Ireland to file a case on them . As per lawyer, they dont have any reason for rejection as all documents are aligned and mark completed.
Will keep you posted guys....
Hi Mak2386 , any update ?

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:33 pm
https://www.dfa.ie/about-us/contact-us/ ... tizenship/

Koolboy
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Koolboy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:30 pm

Micheal
You don't need to put your fbr number in passport reference no. Just leave it blank and you will go through the chat window.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Thanks!

Just called, was told not to expect anything until June!!! My application was recieved in August!! Thats 10 months!!

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:09 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:08 am
upliam wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:52 pm
sean015 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:39 pm
Passport Update:

As of today, I am now in the tracking system and it says:

"The estimated* issue date for your Passport is: 20/03/2019."

So it seems that the 8 weeks they told me as to when I should receive it may be pretty accurate.
Sean,
When I did my passport application in the summer of 2018 the original date provided in the Passport Tracker was the Exact Date my application was approved. No Delays.
I hope you have the same experience with your passport application!
(I am on this forum because I have 2 FBR's pending for my sons. The applications were received in Dublin on August 22nd...still waiting)
Liam, are you aware that you need to be a citizen before the birth of your child for the child to be eligible?
Michael,
You are correct, but my children are applying for FBR through their Grandfather who was born in Donegal. Should be the same as most of the others on this forum. So hopefully their will not be any issues.

Liam

spiderplants

Post by spiderplants » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:03 pm
Thanks!

Just called, was told not to expect anything until June!!! My application was recieved in August!! Thats 10 months!!
Hi Michael

Was that about your application in particular or a general comment about timelines for August applicants onwards in general? That's very disheartening. You're my barometer for progress. I keep logging on to see if your FBR has been approved yet :D

azth20
Newly Registered

Post by azth20 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:12 pm

Hello,
I have been reading these posts with interest and I just wanted to add my own FBR journey.
Application received: 10/07/18
Email request for 2x further pieces of documentation: 22/11/18
Email to confirm documents recived and application put forward for approval: 10/12/18
Email:
I have received your documentation, thank you for sending this to me.
Your application has been put forward for approval.
This is the final stage in the process but due to a high volume of applications it will take a number of weeks before it reaches completion.

I emailed and spoke with an online chat today to ask for an update but they said due to the high volume of applications etc. etc.

I’m at 7 months. Fingers crossed!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:20 pm

Anouska wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:12 pm
Hello,
I have been reading these posts with interest and I just wanted to add my own FBR journey.
Email to confirm documents recived and application put forward for approval: 10/12/18
Email:
This is the final stage in the process but due to a high volume of applications it will take a number of weeks before it reaches completion.

I emailed and spoke with an online chat today to ask for an update but they said due to the high volume of applications etc. etc.

^^^^^^ 50% of all applications are incomplete! I bet this is why the wait is so long, theh have to contact every person with a incomplete application and waste more time, so the people who read and follow the instructions have to pay for the mistakes of people who cant follow instructions.

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:32 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Thanks!

Michael,
Did they offer any information as to the reason for the extended delay?
I thought the new office was scheduled to be up and running by next week?

Koolboy
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Koolboy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Anouska wrote:
Hello,
Email:
I have received your documentation, thank you for sending this to me
Anouska
Which country you applied from and what kind of further documents they asked from you?
If you don't mind to tell

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:29 pm

spiderplants wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:10 pm
Michael123 wrote:
Thanks!

Hi Michael

Was that about your application in particular or a general comment about timelines for August applicants onwards in general? That's very disheartening. You're my barometer for progress. I keep logging on to see if your FBR has been approved yet :D
My cousin and I both applied and mailed our applications in the same package with seperate envelopes inside the shipping package. We could have shared some documents (Grandmothers Birth, Marriage1, (widow) Marriage2 and death certificates. To keep it simple and easier for the processing team, we kept it all seperate with 2 complete sets of supporting documents and 2 seperate applications sent in the same shipping box (cost savings) and shipped FedEx Next day air international from Massachusetts to Dublin. They were recieved Aug 20, 2018 according to fedex and Aug 21,2018 according to the DFA email. I called about 2 weeks ago and askes for a status update, Was told about 3 week more. Today, my cousin and coapplicant called and she was told 4 MONTHS more.. if its processed before Feb 21 (about a week from now) then it will be about the 6th month mark. If another 4 months (June) then the total time will be around 10 months.

“When you apllied back in August, the processing time was 6 months, now it is 10. Your application is in que to be examined”. So they opened the shippjng box, scanned the bar code and sent an automated email that it was recieved and has not been looked at since!!

nic123
Newly Registered

Post by nic123 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:20 pm
Anouska wrote:
Hello,
Email:

^^^^^^ 50% of all applications are incomplete! I bet this is why the wait is so long, theh have to contact every person with a incomplete application and waste more time, so the people who read and follow the instructions have to pay for the mistakes of people who cant follow instructions.
Hey Michael that's a bit harsh! I had a request to send in my mother's birth & death certificates which I didn't include as I thought irrelevant cos my parents weren't married & I'm applying via my grandfather on my father's side. I sent them the same day I got the email as I did have them.

My application was received 25th June 2018 I think just unfortunate the move, new management & new staff and a new system has delayed us all. Let's just hope they will soon be back on top of everything.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:18 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:19 am
Michael123 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:04 pm
Tom, in your opinion do you think I will be added in the next two weeks?
I think what your posted about the Tánaiste's response to a question on FBR processing times is as good an assessment of what is going on at DFA now as you'll ever get. But it's still a bit too "fuzzy". "Approximately six months to process a complete Foreign Birth Registration application" suggests that you should be close, because I assume your application would be considered complete. But what does "approximately" mean? Plus or minus a couple of weeks? And since there doesn't seem to be any consistency about letting people know when they have been added to the FBR, it's possible you might have been added, but won't find out until the certificate arrives in the mail (maybe two weeks later).

This will soon be over. But I know it is maddening (though you've waited longer than me).

I know it doesn't affect me, but I still find it annoying that DFA receives so many incomplete applications, and that the numbers of those have increased. I take that to mean that applicants that follow the instructions end up paying the price for those that either didn't bother to read them, or thought omitting a required document was somehow OK. They waste DFA staff time, because DFA has to contact the applicant to request missing material. Read the instructions people. It's not that mysterious.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:28 pm

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... nswers-164

50% of applications are incomplete. Aside from the move and other things a lot is due to incomplete applications. They have to contact each person to get the missing or incomplete information and when it arrives there, they have to examine it again. Not trying to be harsh at all but this is one cause of the delays. Again, not trying to be harsh but the instructions are clear, It did not say “send this if...” or “unless, then you do not need to send...”. Just making the point that if there were less incomplete applications, it would go faster for all of us. Im not saying the delays are 100% your fault, I just wish that everyone followed the instructions.

M

spiderplants

Post by spiderplants » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:29 pm

nic123 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:12 pm
I had a request to send in my mother's birth & death certificates which I didn't include as I thought irrelevant cos my parents weren't married & I'm applying via my grandfather on my father's side.
That's a very odd. I can see why you wouldn't anticipate that.

I'll just be glad to see an update from someone - anyone - soon to know that they've started to process the backlog.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:21 pm

kathleen18 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 pm
- what does the actual document look like?
This is not mine, but one that someone else posted on xxxxxxxx website. Mine look just like it.

pic of cert removed by moderator as I am sure the person whose cert is is has NOT given permission for their personal details to be shared to a group of strangers on an internet immigration forum

azth20
Newly Registered

Post by azth20 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:30 pm

nic123 wrote:
Michael123 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:20 pm
Anouska wrote:
Hello,
Email:

Hey Michael that's a bit harsh! I had a request to send in my mother's birth & death certificates which I didn't include as I thought irrelevant cos my parents weren't married & I'm applying via my grandfather on my father's side. I sent them the same day I got the email as I did have them.

My application was received 25th June 2018 I think just unfortunate the move, new management & new staff and a new system has delayed us all. Let's just hope they will soon be back on top of everything.
That was my experience too only the other way round. Requesting documentation for my father despite parents not being married and applying via my maternal grandmother’s side. I was able to send them within a week of receiving the email.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:51 am

nic123 wrote:
Hey Michael that's a bit harsh!
It's not harsh for those who didn't send everything that was specified, because they didn't pay attention to the requirements, or decided on their own that a required document was not relevant. DFA wanted my marriage certificate. That document doesn't relate to my Irish heritage. And I didn't change my name in marriage. So someone might question its relevancy. But they asked for it. So I sent it.

I know that's not the case for you, as say that you did provide what was requested, if such documents existed. I suspect that because your parents were not married and you could provide no marriage certificate, they wanted some other official identifying documentation.

But I've been watching this topic and the Ireland section in general for almost ten months (entered in FBR in July). I've seen many posts where people question the relevancy of specified documents, or even admit that they were contacted by DFA about a specified document they didn't send. One person forgot to make photocopies of everything. He was fortunate that DFA said they would make the copies. But his omission meant DFA had to spend more time on his application.

That's just the people who post here. I am sure we are a tiny subset of the people who apply for FBR registration. It's good that people come here and ask questions about why something is needed. But I would bet there are a lot of people who just assume their judgement of what is relevant is correct and send incomplete information.

Court2

Post by Court2 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:44 am

Despite the many and unprecedented levels of applications which I imagine is into at least the mid tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands, it is disappointing that having paid nearly £300 for this process as a U.K. based applicant there are no updates during the process.

I tried the web chat yesterday and very blunt answers were provided, it seems no one can check where an application is, there are no ‘stages’ or estimates at all. One assumes they process in batches, with batches allocated to individual members of staff who process at their own pace.

On web chat the person I spoke to did however say the emails of ‘approved, you’re now an Irish citizen’ will be sent, however that again seems conflicting info with what others report in this forum. So I’m not holding out on an email.

Basically, it seems we have to wait as long as it takes, they can’t provide individual status updates even if you ask, it might take up to 12 months and all this despite paying £300 for the privilege!

Maybe it would be best for everyone to even stop contacting them as they have nothing constructive to add and that person would be better used processing applications to reduce the workload of answering all queries in the first place!

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:38 pm

In my view, if people submit an FBR application without the specified documentation then it should simply be denied and returned to them with the application fee retained. That would incentivize people to comply with the regulations and fully meet the requirements of the process. This may sound draconian, but it is essentially in line with current practice for many citizenship schemes. Moreover, in the UK, the home office does not return the fees for unsuccessful or incomplete applications of various types. The DFA seems to be especially generous in this respect and the fact people are cognizant of this encourages them to push their luck. Right now, those who have supplied all the documents required are reaping the delay that others have sown. I for one do not appreciate it.

Michael

What they are telling you and your cousin is as inconsistent as it is alarming. A 10 month wait when you have all your documents in order is unacceptable. I am still shocked that my application was processed and I was added to the FBR on or before Jan 10th and you are still in limbo. It makes absolutely no sense. As I indicated previously, I need my supporting documentation back from the DFA to move on with the Turkish CBI process. I have written to the embassy today to request my documents back (with or without the FBR certificate) as they no longer need them - the decision has been made. I will let you know if I hear anything back soon. Obviously, as of right now, I am exactly at the 6 month milestone and no physical FBR certificate has appeared.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:14 pm

Court2 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:44 am
Despite the many and unprecedented levels of applications which I imagine is into at least the mid tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands, it is disappointing that having paid nearly £300 for this process as a U.K. based applicant there are no updates during the process.

Basically, it seems we have to wait as long as it takes, they can’t provide individual status updates even if you ask, it might take up to 12 months and all this despite paying £300 for the privilege!

Maybe it would be best for everyone to even stop contacting them as they have nothing constructive to add and that person would be better used processing applications to reduce the workload of answering all queries in the first place!
I consider it a privilege that Ireland was willing to give me citizenship, simply because my grandparents were born there. There are very few countries that do that. And Ireland has an accessible and very well documented process. This isn't like ordering a product online. You are not just paying for the certificate. You are paying to have them examine your documentation to make sure you truly are descended from a citizen. No doubt there are criminals and terrorists who would like to make use of an Irish passport.

Since I started investigating the process almost a year ago, the DFA website has consistently said that it can take up to six months. The Minister of Foreign Trade recently reported that 88% of applications processed in 2018 were completed in that time frame. So for the most part, they are meeting their goals. I don't think it is a great leap to conclude that Brexit has driven much of the increase in volume. My FBR was processed in only four months, and issued in July. But what happened since then? The UK parliament rejected the proposed agreement with the EU. Now volume is up again. No surprise. It is also not surprising that Ireland might have trouble adjusting when decisions made in another country are causing a problem.

If six months seems long, try applying for citizenship by descent in Italy or most other countries. Not many allow citizenship to grandchildren. My friend checked with Italy and was told it could take 3-5 years. Poland? I've heard that can take a year - if you qualify. But while two of my grandparents were born in Poland, they were both born before Poland was an independent country. That means I don't qualify. Do you have French or German grandparents? Sorry, you have no citizenship rights.

Status updates? I suspect that most of the time, your application is sitting in a queue, waiting for someone to finish the applications received before yours. If you go back through some older posts, you'll see that Michael123 called and asked them about his once. His application had been received a few weeks earlier. But they told him that they had only just started processing applications received 2-3 weeks before his.

It would have been nice if they had sent me an email when I was entered in the FBR. But I do think that too much communication is going to end up wasting time that could otherwise be spent reviewing applicant documents. Setting up an electronic system and tracking portal may be technically possible. But the cost may not we worth it.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Because I decided to assist my cousin in her FBR, I have paid for:

2 FBR applications
2 grandmother birth
2 grandmother marriage (widowed)
2 grandmother re-marriage
2 grandmother death
1 cousins mother birth
1 my mothers birth
1 my mothers marriage (widowed)
1 my mothers re-marriage
1 my mothers death
1 cousins birth
1 my birth
1 overnight shipping to florida for 2nd marriage
1 overnight shipping back w certificate
1 overnight to Dublin w 2 applications and all above documents.
Parking fees to obtain local certificates

My grand total for this is just under 1400.00

And no word of when this will be approved, If I knew when this would be approved I wouldn’t be so annoyed. But all the expenses and waiting is very annoying. I can only imagine the 90% of the delays is caused by brexit. A group of people who want to leave the EU but still want citizenship.

spiderplants

Post by spiderplants » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:42 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:14 pm

I consider it a privilege that Ireland was willing to give me citizenship, simply because my grandparents were born there.
Completely agree.