ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Proficiency Level and UK Equivalent Academic Qualification

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Harvey001
Newly Registered
Malaysia

ILR: Calculating continuous period in the UK

Post by Harvey001 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi,

I am about to submit an application for ILR. However, I have a doubt on calculating the continuos period in the UK.

I entered UK on Oct 2013. However, I traveled oversea quite frequently for vacation and work. I am aware that I need to remain in the UK more than 180 days in 12 rolling months. However, I wonder if the below away days are counted as away from UK or not?

1. Work / business trip to oversea. (My UK employer can provide a letter to confirm that the days away from UK was for work)
2. My annual leave given by UK Employer.
3. My company training outside of UK.

Thank you !

Harvey001
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Pearson English Test Eligibility

Post by Harvey001 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:29 pm

Hi all,

I passed my Pearson English Test in 2013 which I used the result to apply for my Tier 2 General visa back in October 2013. I am applying for my ILR now. However, I realized that Home Office doesn't recognize PTE anymore starting from 2015. My question is, as I have passed the English proficiency requirement with my PTE result in 2013, do I need to sit for IELTS to apply for my ILR?

Thanks.

Harvey001
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Letter from Employer for Absence from UK

Post by Harvey001 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:35 am

Hi,

My employer is currently preparing for my letter to confirm the absence from UK for my annual leave and work assignment outside of UK. However, there are certain period where we are not very certain of the days away from UK and the days outside of UK is closed to 170 days.

I am a bit concerned if the real days outside of UK is over 180 days in 12 months period. Do you know if the Home Office does have a record of all my days away from UK and do they check to match the days in my employer's letter?

Cheers.

zimba
Mood:

Re: ILR: Calculating continuous period in the UK

Post by zimba » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:34 pm

ANY day spent outside the UK counts towards the 180 limit regardless of the reason for travel. UKVI has access to exit checks data from airlines/ports. So they will cross check the data they have with what you write for sure. You should declare them as accurately as possible
You should also sit a new SELT exam for your ILR :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Harvey001
Newly Registered
Malaysia

English Proficiency Level and UK Equivalent Academic Qualification

Post by Harvey001 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi experts,

I have acquired a letter from UK NARIC to confirm my English Proficiency. In the letter, it states:

"UK NARIC has performed an evaluation of your qualification. The level of English language for the above degree course is considered to meet the requirements of CEFR level B2"

However, I am having a confusion if the letter from UK NARIC meets the below requirement of Appendix KOLL of the immigration rules:

“iv) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, and

(1) provides the specified documentary evidence to show he has the qualification, and

(2) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English.”

It seems like NARIC letter confirms the English requirement but not that the academic qualification (your degree) meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK. I am graduated from Malaysia and I have sent my Final Certificate, Transcript and Letter from University to prove that the degree was delivered fully in English to UK NARIC.

Can you please let me know how can I confirm that the UK NARIC letter has met the requirement above before I submit my application?

Cheers,
Harvey001

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: English Proficiency Level and UK Equivalent Academic Qualification

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:18 pm

How much did you pay for the NARIC??

You should have done the NARIC UKVI Red Route option which assesses both English and comparable. It costs just over £150.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Harvey001
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by Harvey001 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:29 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:18 pm

You should have done the NARIC UKVI Red Route option which assesses both English and comparable. It costs just over £150.
Thanks for your reply. About the same price too. +/- 150 GBP. The problem is I have to travel to another city which is 3 hours away. I thought the UK NARIC way can save me a trip. Anyway, do you know how can I verify this?

Cheers,
Harvey001

Harvey001
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by Harvey001 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Harvey001 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:29 pm
CR001 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Thanks for your reply. About the same price too. +/- 150 GBP. The problem is I have to travel to another city which is 3 hours away. I thought the UK NARIC way can save me a trip. Anyway, do you know how can I verify this?

Cheers,
Harvey001
By the way, the type of service I used from UK NARIC is Visa and Nationality Service after referring to the description of the service. There is also another selection in the service which is "Statement of Comparability". Now, I am confused.