ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling abroad whilst Naturalisation application is in progress

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

deerox
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Traveling abroad whilst Naturalisation application is in progress

Post by deerox » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Hi All,

I have just applied for British citizenship (naturalisation) via online/UKVCAS process (11/02/19) and am awaiting a decision. I need to travel abroad on a work trip for 2 weeks in March. According to previous posts on here, it appears applicants are allowed to travel abroad with their current passport and ILR BRP DURING the application process and it is only at the point which I’m issued a certificate of naturalisation when I attend the citizenship ceremony then only will my ILR BRP be cancelled and I will not be able to travel abroad without having a British passport. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help!

alsanober
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Traveling abroad whilst Naturalisation application is in progress

Post by alsanober » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:51 pm

deerox wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:18 pm
Hi All,

I have just applied for British citizenship (naturalisation) via online/UKVCAS process (11/02/19) and am awaiting a decision. I need to travel abroad on a work trip for 2 weeks in March. According to previous posts on here, it appears applicants are allowed to travel abroad with their current passport and ILR BRP DURING the application process and it is only at the point which I’m issued a certificate of naturalisation when I attend the citizenship ceremony then only will my ILR BRP be cancelled and I will not be able to travel abroad without having a British passport. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help!
yes thats correct. you need to return the return you BRP card within 5 days of approval.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:53 pm

alsanober wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:51 pm
deerox wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for your help!
yes thats correct. you need to return the return you BRP card within 5 days of approval.
It is within 5 days of attending the ceremony and not approval!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alsanober
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by alsanober » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:56 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:53 pm
alsanober wrote:
deerox wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for your help!
of course, you only become BC once you have attended the ceremony. :D

deerox
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by deerox » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:46 pm

Thanks all for the quick response! Really appreciate it:) I guess the Home Office could make it a little clearer in their online guidance notes regarding traveling abroad whilst applications are in progress! But thank God for forums like this!

iamrezaul
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by iamrezaul » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:02 pm

alsanober wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:56 pm
CR001 wrote:
alsanober wrote:
deerox wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for your help!
A follow on question. If the letter of approval and citizenship ceremony date falls within the period while I was away, what will be the consequence? To simplify, after I return to the UK from a long holiday and find that I have missed the date for the citizenship ceremony. What will be the consequence?

cryvate
Netherlands

Post by cryvate » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:57 am

iamrezaul wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:02 pm
alsanober wrote:
CR001 wrote:
alsanober wrote:

A follow on question. If the letter of approval and citizenship ceremony date falls within the period while I was away, what will be the consequence? To simplify, after I return to the UK from a long holiday and find that I have missed the date for the citizenship ceremony. What will be the consequence?
Depends on how long. You set the date for the ceremony yourself after getting the approval/invitation letter but there is a time limit of 3 months.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:05 am

iamrezaul wrote:
If you miss or do not attend the ceremony, the certificate gets sent back to HO and you have to start and pay again from scratch.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:26 am

iamrezaul wrote:
alsanober wrote:
CR001 wrote:
alsanober wrote:

Assuming you get to contact the local authority where you will have your ceremony within a couple of weeks, and not months, you’re fine. You must book your ceremony within 3 months of the date of approval, otherwise you may have to reapply.

iamrezaul
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by iamrezaul » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:22 am

Nerazzuri wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:26 am
iamrezaul wrote:
alsanober wrote:
CR001 wrote:

Assuming you get to contact the local authority where you will have your ceremony within a couple of weeks, and not months, you’re fine. You must book your ceremony within 3 months of the date of approval, otherwise you may have to reapply.
Thanks, Nerazzuri and others who responded to my question. Appreciate it!