ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Evidence of Residence for EU1 Questions

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ajcarder
Newly Registered

EU Treaty Rights Process??

Post by ajcarder » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:38 pm

Hi all,

I am just looking for clarification on the process to enact EU Treaty Rights. My wife is American. I didn't earn enough in the UK for her to get a spouse visa so I have recently accepted a job in Cork and am now living here. My wife will hopefully soon be joining me. Our impression after reading through this forum, the INIS website, and citizens info is that what happens is at the border she states that I have accepted work in Ireland so she desires to seek residence through us enacting EU Treaty Rights. She will need to see the Garda to register with immigration in Cork and we will submit the EU1 form. However, one of my co-workers said he thought the process changed so we had to apply for her before she came to Ireland. As far as I can find, this is not true. My co-worker is Irish and his wife is Irish, so as far as I know he hasn't had experience with this process, but I wanted to double check. Can anyone confirm for me?

On top of that, could someone just give me a brief outline of the steps they went through? I keep reading different things online between different Irish websites, as I have read other people have as well. We're just really nervous about all of this. Thanks very much.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: EU Treaty Rights Process??

Post by littlerr » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:07 pm

You do understand that the vast majority of Irish people don't know the immigration rules for foreign people right :) As a Chinese citizen, I have absolutely zero knowledge how to apply for a residence permit for China.

Jokes aside, just follow the official guidelines. The very first note on the EU1 form states:
"You should use this application form if: You are a non-EEA national resident in Ireland who is a qualifying family member of an EEA national".

The process is rather straightforward. Once she's here, fill in the form, send it to the correct address, and just wait for the letter.
Last edited by littlerr on Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajcarder
Newly Registered

Post by ajcarder » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:10 pm

Haha fair point! Thanks!

Oh, shoot. Ok. If that is the case, is she ok to come to Ireland and we apply from there? What form should we be using if not the EU1?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:15 pm

Yes. Get her in Cork. Fill in the EU1 form. Send it off. And wait for their response letter. They should give her a temporary permit in less than 3 months. Then if everything goes fine, she should receive her a final permission letter in another 6 months or so. There's probably going to be a delay here considering the looming Brexit, but the process is just that.

Form is available on the official website:
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/form-EUT ... -EUTR1.pdf

ajcarder
Newly Registered

Post by ajcarder » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:18 pm

Brilliant, thanks so much! This has put us a little more at ease... or I guess as at ease as you can get when it comes to immigration :) We'll get her here asap and submit the EU1 form. I was trying to find what other form it could be and wasn't finding anything - glad it's just the EU1! Thanks again!

ajcarder
Newly Registered

Evidence of Residence for EU1 Questions

Post by ajcarder » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:28 pm

Hi all,

I am a UK citizen and my wife is a US citizen. We've just moved to Ireland this week and I have started work. We're preparing everything for the EU1 form to submit for my wife and have a question about the evidence for residence.

We are currently living in a house share. The landlord has hired a house manager to take care of landlord duties as the landlord lives abroad. The manager is a pretty chill guy and lives in the house as well. He doesn't write up tenancy agreements normally, but I think he would be willing to do one for us specifically so we can use it as evidence of residence. We currently aren't registered with the residential tendencies board, but I guess we can do that. Are you allowed to register if you are in a house share? Then, with the utilities bills, I am not sure what to do. Because the house manager lives in the house, all of the utilities bills are in his name. Does anyone have advice on what we can do for that?

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Evidence of Residence for EU1 Questions

Post by max307 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:21 pm

- Do you have an Irish phone number? If you do, phone bills are accepted proof of residence.

- Debit/credit cards and saving accounts statements are also proof of residence.

- A public library card or a cinema monthly pass can be a proof of residence.

- I don't know if you are living in Dublin but Dublin Bus/Luas monthly or yearly passes are also proof of residence, other cities in Ireland have similar schemes for public transport if you are not living in Dublin.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:01 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ajcarder
Newly Registered

Post by ajcarder » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:08 pm

We are getting our Irish SIM cards tomorrow, so that is good to know, and we are opening our bank account after getting our Irish phone numbers. Plus, we have been eyeing up the library so that's a bonus that a library card counts. Thank you for the input! We are in Cork. I was planning on getting a bus pass, don't know if that would count as well? Either way, between all the information you have provided, we'll have the evidence of residence, I think. So, on the guidelines it states you need the tenancy registration thing, utilities bills, and the tenancy agreement. If I were to provide phone bills, tenancy agreement, bank statements, and library cards, would those fill that requirement for evidence of residence?

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:16 pm

ajcarder wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:08 pm
I was planning on getting a bus pass, don't know if that would count as well?

If I were to provide phone bills, tenancy agreement, bank statements, and library cards, would those fill that requirement for evidence of residence?
Yes.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

ajcarder
Newly Registered

Post by ajcarder » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks!

ajcarder
Newly Registered

Post by ajcarder » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:47 am

Hi, sorry, another question. We are slightly confused about what we are supposed to do now. My wife arrived in Ireland last week and we are currently gathering our supporting documents. Is this what we do now:
-Gather supporting documents
-Submit application
-Receive letter from INIS
-Register with immigration

Or are we supposed to register with immigration first and then submit the application? I only ask because the immigration officer at the border only told my wife to register with immigration here in Cork and said nothing about the application, so we weren't sure if we submit the application first or needed to register with immigration first. We've tried calling the immigration office a couple of times but keep getting voicemail. We'll keep at it, anyway!