ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Thanks to Forum British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ziggi
Newly Registered

State your name as it appears on your passport

Post by Ziggi » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Hello

I am looking for help .

I'm filling in the Form AN for the naturalisation application.

Section 1.5 - State your name as it appears on your passport.
Surname/family name
Other names

On my german ID it shows my surname but also right underneath my
birth name which caused already confusion.

Do I leave the birth name away and just put my family name in there ?
But my ID shows the birth name underneath :roll:

I appreciate any help . Thanks

kamoe

Re: State your name as it appears on your passport

Post by kamoe » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Put the name you legally go by, in this case, your family name.

I think in all these applications there is a section where you can put a former name you have been previously known by, like maiden names. If so, put your birth name there.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:49 pm

Ziggi wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:41 pm
Hello

I am looking for help .

I'm filling in the Form AN for the naturalisation application.

Section 1.5 - State your name as it appears on your passport.
Surname/family name This is your SURNAME
Other names This is your FIRST NAME, SECOND NAME etc.

On my german ID it shows my surname but also right underneath my
birth name which caused already confusion.

Do I leave the birth name away and just put my family name in there ?
But my ID shows the birth name underneath :roll:

I appreciate any help . Thanks
I suggest you read the AN guidance notes and AN booklet as it is clearly explained in there.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:50 pm

kamoe wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:45 pm

I think in all these applications there is a section where you can put a former name you have been previously known by, like maiden names. If so, put your birth name there.
Wrong. That particular questions is ONLY for previous name, ie maiden name and not current forenames.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:52 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:50 pm
kamoe wrote:

Wrong. That particular questions is ONLY for previous name, ie maiden name and not current forenames.
OK, I am interpreting the OP use of "birth name" as maiden name. Is it not the case?
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Ziggi
Newly Registered

Post by Ziggi » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:53 pm

kamoe wrote:

Thank you . :P
That's what I thought of doing .
I filled in the "Name at birth " section.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:54 pm

kamoe wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:52 pm
CR001 wrote:
kamoe wrote:

OK, I am interpreting the OP use of "birth name" as maiden name. Is it not the case?
No, OP likely means his given names, i.e John Paul for example. Maiden name is the previous surname of a married woman.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:57 pm

Ziggi wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:53 pm
kamoe wrote:

Could you please clarify what you originally meant by "birth name"? Is it forename (your given/first name), or a maiden name (previous last name you had as a single person)?

Ziggi
Newly Registered

Post by Ziggi » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:03 pm

kamoe wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:52 pm
CR001 wrote:
kamoe wrote:

I married and only use my partners surname ( not my birth name at all ) but on my german ID my birth name is right underneath the surname I am using / registered / legally use.

My question was
!.5 State your name as it appears on your passport

do I put the birth name in the Other names section or leave it away and only fill in the
Name at birth if different .......?

thanks for your help

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:06 pm

the 'name at birth if different' refers to the full name or surname you were born with. This is where you put your maiden name.

If by 'birth name' you mean your first or/and second name, then that is your given names and goes under 'Other names', as I have already stated.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Ziggi
Newly Registered

Post by Ziggi » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:08 pm

kamoe wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:57 pm
Ziggi wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:53 pm
kamoe wrote:

Could you please clarify what you originally meant by "birth name"? Is it forename (your given/first name), or a maiden name (previous last name you had as a single person)?
Thank you
Its my maiden name , the name at birth, before I was married .
It's on my german ID underneath my used official surname

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Ziggi wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:03 pm
I married and only use my partners surname ( not my birth name at all
From this I am assuming by birth name the OP means the surname she had as a single person...

Ziggi
Newly Registered

Post by Ziggi » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Thanks everyone :P

Ziggi
Newly Registered

Thanks to Forum British Citizenship

Post by Ziggi » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:56 am

Hello
Just quickly, I want to thank everyone who are giving good advice on this forum (for free).

My British citizenship application was successful :D

To my surprise it was super super fast . I was prepared for a 6 - 8 month wait and
it took only 2 month. :shock: :D

It took me much longer to fill in the application form and getting all correct documents etc.

I did "splash" out on a very good immigration lawyer to check my application over and
it was well worth it.

I wish everyone good luck and thanks again

Siggi

ella2
Newly Registered

Re: Thanks to Forum British Citizenship

Post by ella2 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi Ziggi,

Congratulations. Well I guess you are the right person to answer my questions:) Can you please guide me on these
I am about to submit my online application- and pay the fee online. What is the next process? Do I really have to go to Sopra Steria service, where I get an appointment so they can scan all my documents and upload them. Why do I have to do that? Can I just send my original documents to Home office directly by post? and also do I have to print the filled form and include this the post?

Thanks for your help..
Ella

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:52 pm

ella2 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:47 pm
Hi Ziggi,

Congratulations. Well I guess you are the right person to answer my questions:) Can you please guide me on these
I am about to submit my online application- and pay the fee online. What is the next process? Do I really have to go to Sopra Steria service, where I get an appointment so they can scan all my documents and upload them. Why do I have to do that? Can I just send my original documents to Home office directly by post? and also do I have to print the filled form and include this the post?

Thanks for your help..
Ella
You may be without your passport and BRP for a while as UKVI tend to return documents only when the application has been decided. You can upload yourself and just go for the biometrics to the centre.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ella2
Newly Registered

Post by ella2 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:00 pm

Thank you for your quick reply.
It is not a problem, I can wait. When you said upload by yourself you meant sent by yourself , as there is no place I can upload them. I post them all and go to the post office for biometric?

Ziggi
Newly Registered

Post by Ziggi » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:52 pm

ella2 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:47 pm
Hi Ziggi,

Thanks for your help..
Ella
Hello Ella
I didn't do it online. I send my AN form with all the original documents to he home office.

Sorry I don't know and I can't help with any online application.

But I suggest to send only original documents or copies certified at the Post Office.

Good luck
Siggi

ella2
Newly Registered

Post by ella2 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:44 pm

Hi Siigi,
Thanks for your message.
If I understood it right, you did not do online application however you printed the AN form and filled it manually and sent the application form with the original documents to the home office by post? without using any agency or sopra steria appointments?