ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Driving in UK on EU licence after no deal

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hermanthegerman
Germany

Driving in UK on EU licence after no deal

Post by hermanthegerman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:16 am

Has anyone got any information on driving (in my own car) in the UK after a potential no deal brexit? Has anyone any information how/if this will impact car insurance?

I currently assume i will be able to drive for 12 months like a US citizen would.

Does anyone know if I can get a learners permit and provisional licence while still having an EU licence and before 29/3? I would rather get a new UK licence (and pass the tests) than giving up my EU one.

cryvate
Netherlands

Re: Driving in UK on EU licence after no deal

Post by cryvate » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:29 am

I don't suggest you do this, but if you were to temporarily lose possession of your EU licence, you can 'exchange' your licence without giving up your lost licence. If you then find your licence again, you will have 2. This actually happened to me, though in my case it was a proper accident (someone found my wallet after having been lost for months).

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:51 am

hermanthegerman wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:16 am
Has anyone got any information on driving (in my own car) in the UK after a potential no deal brexit? Has anyone any information how/if this will impact car insurance?

I currently assume i will be able to drive for 12 months like a US citizen would.

Does anyone know if I can get a learners permit and provisional licence while still having an EU licence and before 29/3? I would rather get a new UK licence (and pass the tests) than giving up my EU one.
At the moment, those on a non-EU licence can only drive on that licence for up to 12 months from when they arrive in the UK. After Brexit, I guess it will be down to what reciprocal agreement the EU and UK come to.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:56 am

cryvate wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:29 am
I don't suggest you do this, but if you were to temporarily lose possession of your EU licence, you can 'exchange' your licence without giving up your lost licence. If you then find your licence again, you will have 2.
"You can have only one EU driving licence at any one time.
If you move to another EU country and your driving licence is lost, stolen, damaged or expired, you should renew, replace or exchange it in the country where you usually live."

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/v ... dex_en.htm

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:03 pm

Obligatory exchange

When living abroad, you will have to exchange your driving licence for a local one:

if your licence is lost, stolen or damaged
after 2 years of usual residence, if you have a driving licence valid for life (only if required by the country where you live)
if you commit a traffic offence in the country where you live

cryvate
Netherlands

Post by cryvate » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:15 pm

JB007 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:56 am

"You can have only one EU driving licence at any one time.
If you move to another EU country and your driving licence is lost, stolen, damaged or expired, you should renew, replace or exchange it in the country where you usually live."

I understand that the aim of the EU policy is for anyone to only have one valid licence at a time, however what I said was that there are ways you might find yourself in the position where you have two licences.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:56 am

cryvate wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:15 pm

I understand that the aim of the EU policy is for anyone to only have one valid licence at a time, however what I said was that there are ways you might find yourself in the position where you have two licences.
But are they both valid when you have exchanged your driving licence under the EU scheme. Your country would know that you applied to replace their licence with a UK licence.

You can have only one EU driving licence at any one time.
Before the authorities exchange your driving licence, they will contact the authorities in your previous country of residence to check that your driving licence has not been restricted, suspended or withdrawn.

cryvate
Netherlands

Post by cryvate » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:00 pm

JB007 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:56 am

But are they both valid when you have exchanged your driving licence under the EU scheme. Your country would know that you applied to replace their licence with a UK licence.

You can have only one EU driving licence at any one time.
Before the authorities exchange your driving licence, they will contact the authorities in your previous country of residence to check that your driving licence has not been restricted, suspended or withdrawn.

The answer is I don't know, it says there that they will contact the authorities, and they do because my UK driving license correctly states when I got my licence in my country of origin. Whether the previous card will be marker invalid in the originating country is not entirely clear from that text if you have not surrendered it (due to being lost) though it is implied it *should* be. There is also the question of how effective these systems actually are, which probably depends on how good the bureaucracy is in the originating country. Regardless, it does give you some plausible deniability when driving on the licence. Your mileage might vary though. I myself have not used my original licence since having it 'exchanged' as I have had no need.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:43 pm

cryvate wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:00 pm
There is also the question of how effective these systems actually are, which probably depends on how good the bureaucracy is in the originating country. Regardless, it does give you some plausible deniability when driving on the licence.
Not only what the laws of the orignal country are, but my worry would be insurers paying out on any claim that involved that licence.