ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship and employment?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

iona77
Newly Registered
Germany

Citizenship and employment?

Post by iona77 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:13 pm

Hi all. I'm an EU citizen and have been a resident of Ireland for the last 6 years and have got the relevant documentation to prove that (university letters for the first 4 years, rent agreements, bank statements) so in theory I should be able to apply for Irish citizenship however I'm worried that my application will get rejected as I've never worked nor paid any tax and I've heard of people being asked for their P60s which is something I'm obviously unable to provide.

According to this, I should be fine
"All the time that a EEA or Swiss citizen has spent in the State is reckonable for naturalisation purposes as EEA and Swiss citizens are not required to have residence permits or documents under the European Communities (Free Movement of Persons) Regulations 2015."
but id still appreciate if someone could shed some light and maybe reassure me, thank you.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Citizenship and employment?

Post by littlerr » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:06 pm

EU free movement allows you to stay in another EU country for more than 3 months if you are studying, working or self sufficient.

You mentioned your first 4 years were with a university, which is fine, but what about the rest two years? You do not need to provide a P60 if you don’t have one, but you will have to provide alternative proofs that you have sufficient funds and you won’t become a burden to Ireland.

iona77
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by iona77 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that yeah but I'm still unsure what qualifies as "sufficient funds", I have enough to pay for my rent + any expenses plus my mum always chips in if I need her to, will I get asked to prove that and if so how am I supposed to since she doesn't live in Ireland?

for what it's worth I've struggled with depression the past 2 years, dont wanna go on about it tho and I want a straight answer so that's why I didn't mention it in the op and at the end of day it doesn't really matter, the fact is I've never had a job so that why I'm kinda worried they'll reject it but like you said I was exercising my FoM rights (study + self sufficient) so it should be fine?

PettteM
Newly Registered
Slovenia

Post by PettteM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:25 am

Yes you will be fine. You don't have to be working in Ireland to apply for citizenship, residency is all that's required. And whilst litterr is technically right it's very very doubtful that you'll get asked to prove you have sufficient funds to not become a burden on the state, it's generally a law that few EU nations apply and to my knowledge Ireland isn't one of them. If they ask you to provide a P60 just explain to them that you're unemployed and taking care of yourself, you shouldn't even have to give a reason.

Good luck.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Yeah I don’t see any issue applying for it. There’s no regulation prohibiting this.

I don’t know whether they would ask you for proof of finances, because, very few people, if any, have applied for citizenship without any work history at all.

You may want to be upfront and explain your situation in a cover letter. If you don’t explain, it’s highly likely that they will just ask you anyway in a few months which will delay your application.

I guess you still have a PPS number and Public Service Card as these are both required. INIS will check with social welfare using your PPS number to make sure you are not a burden and that’s about it.

They will also ask for 3 (or 6?) months of bank statement for each year, so that they can check whether you have any daily transactions here and whether your finances are covered by your parents. If your parents give you cash instead of bank transfers, you may also want to include this in your cover letter.