ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application in process and about to get separated.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

zeus121
Ireland

Citizenship application in process and about to get separated.

Post by zeus121 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:59 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has gone through the same situation or would know about what can happen to my citizenship application.

I applied for my citizenship in April 2018 and I keep getting the same reply that its in process and in the meantime me and my Irish spouse have fallen out of love and would like to get separated. I was wondering what will happen to my citizenship application and to my residency.

Thank you for looking at my post and I'll look forward to all your valuable advises.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Citizenship application in process and about to get separated.

Post by max307 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:24 pm

I would always recommend to inform INIS about any changes in your circumstances (employment, marriage, etc.) as soon as possible, in their letters they make that point all the time so better safe than sorry.

It won't help your case if they find out that you are currently separating from someone else besides you - the applicant.

How long have you been living in Ireland before applying for citizenship? I would recommend to start thinking about applying for permanent residence on your own right if you have been a legal resident for 5 years or more.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

zeus121
Ireland

Post by zeus121 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:56 pm

We haven't separated yet. I am in Ireland just over 5 years now but on Stamp 4 married to Irish spouse just over 4 years now.

If we get separated then would it affect my citizenship application and what will happen to my stamp 4?

Thanks for your reply :)

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:29 pm

If you have 5 years of legal residence in Ireland regardless of the stamp then you are eligible to apply for long term residency on your own right.

The process is explained here: http://inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Long_Term_Residency

I guess it will affect your naturalisation application because it was on the basis of marriage to an Irish national and you are currently ending that marriage. The good news is that once your long term residency is approved you don't have to worry about that anymore because you will be a permanent resident on Stamp 4.

Similar cases had their citizenship applications on hold until the long term residency was approved, once that was sorted their naturalisation application were successful.

I understand it's a scary situation and most people decide to withhold information regarding marriages ending from INIS but as I said before my recommendation is to come clear as soon as possible. If for some reason they find out your Stamp 4 will be revoked and the naturalisation application refused.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

zeus121
Ireland

Post by zeus121 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:55 pm

I am not separated yet so no point in informing INIS. I am on stamp 4 since last 4 years and before that I was on stamp 2 so I am not eligible for long term residency yet. Separation is not divorce so I don't think they can revoke my stamp 4 or cancel my citizenship application but I might be wrong.

zeus121
Ireland

Post by zeus121 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:15 am

Hi guys,
The latest update is I have moved out of the house 2 days ago and not living with my wife anymore. We are not filing for the separation yet. Do I need to inform the INIS about this?

Thanks

Beckett42
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Beckett42 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:25 pm

Yes of course you must inform them.....they are extremely strict on that have you since informed them

zeus121
Ireland

Post by zeus121 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:04 pm

Yes I informed them the same week. They have updated my new address and the lady confirmed over the phone that it won't affect my application and it will continue as normal.

quip
Newly Registered
Cuba

Post by quip » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:31 pm

zeus121 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:04 pm
Yes I informed them the same week. They have updated my new address and the lady confirmed over the phone that it won't affect my application and it will continue as normal.
hi friend iam also going to the same situation like you but can you please tell me how did you get your stamps without your irish wife because by spouse irish every year we have to go to immigration office for renewal but after separation how is it possible
waiting for reply thank you

Beckett42
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Beckett42 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:16 pm

Well as far as I know your application Will be put on hold now my advice would be apply under your own entitlement and cancel your previous application to avoid long delays and any issues

zeus121
Ireland

Post by zeus121 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:41 am

It's been a year since I have applied for the citizenship. I will give it another couple of months and then apply for independent residency. I haven't completed 5 years on stamp 4 yet to apply for citizenship on my own merits. Thanks :)

Beckett42
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Beckett42 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:39 pm

If it's been a year and still no responds to a decision then thete is definitely a problem holding it up has your ex wife maybe contacted immigration to have it looked into?as if your waiting 1 year then there is something wrong

Beckett42
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Beckett42 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:54 pm

My ex wife told immigration about our seperation before I could and my whole application was refused and ever since I'm having alot of trouble getting natrilzation so I think I will have to leave ireland as it's becoming to difficult to gain natrilzation through my own entitlement

zeus121
Ireland

Post by zeus121 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:59 pm

I informed the citizenship department before she could. I informed them the same week when I moved out of the house. She must have contacted them but there's nothing she could have said which can go against me. I moved out on 17th February and I applied for the citizenship last year April. The last letter I got from citizenship department was in January this year looking for more information which I sent the same week and then I sent them proof of address of my new place in February which they acknowledged. I called them to check if this would affect my application and they confirmed over the phone that it would change anything and it would be processed as normal.

Beckett42
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Beckett42 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:41 pm

Your case is similar to mine I was told the same as you when I would ring but I learnt that nobody but the minister has the athorethy to tell you if you have been successful I just know from my experience if you have not been granted it by now then there is something holding up your application I dint mean to worry you but your case is very similar to mine and I was refused and no reason has to be stated I fear you will get the same response but I I might be wrong good luck with the process

zeus121
Ireland

Post by zeus121 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:59 am

I am sorry to hear that. How long did they take to give you the decision? Did you apply for independent residency? I am on stamp 4 and I will complete 5 years on stamp 4 next year January. I will request for independent residency in August and I hope they'll grant my request.

Beckett42
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Beckett42 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:24 am

A little over 1 year before I got the decision but when I tried to independently apply because my ex wife claimed I used her for citezenship and told immigration this they seen me I suppose as a threat of some sort so I've been refuse 2 times independent also....My ex wife is irish is yours?I left my marraige 6 months after I applied and immigration seen that as evidence I was useing her for citezenship that's what my solicitor said but maybe your case is different.my advice would be don't wait till August and cancel your application asap and apply next year so immigration don't have any problems if you do it independently as 1 year and your waiting there is definitely a problem so get out now before they refuse you I wish you well

zeus121
Ireland

Post by zeus121 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:24 am

Yes my wife is Irish too. We are not legally separated yet. I am waiting till we get legally separated then request for the independent residency. She went and said that I used her for the citizenship to the TD who wrote email to the immigration but then she wants me to come back and I don't want to go back to her. Hopefully we will be legally separated soon. Did you get your independent residency eventually?

Beckett42
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Beckett42 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:00 am

Oh well then that's why your application is on hold I'm sure now you will be refused as any form of uncertainty on the application will definitely go against you whether she was correct or not...Your only way now is to get that seperation and you actually file it before she does so it looks like you left her and not the other way around if I was you I'd get a separation straight away

Beckett42
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Beckett42 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:02 am

Is their any other person involved in the marraige split? As if there was she might use that against you too in your application I'd get that seperation asap before she does honestly

Beckett42
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Beckett42 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:23 am

I dint know if ill get residency now as ive applied independently and been refused too but because i filed for the seperation and not her my chances are better now as it will be seen as no malice on my side toword her and that I want to move on I cant give you anymore advice only get that seperation started straight away because I'm nearly sure your application Will be rejected and if it is ur going to find it hard after being rejected once to get it a second time if you have not seperated take care

zeus121
Ireland

Post by zeus121 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:27 am

I wonder what reason they will give to refuse my application. We were not getting along well with each other and it was stressing both of us out so one day she decided to ask me to leave and I left. No one else involved and there was no other reason than we were not happy together. I am looking in to how to get legally separated.

Beckett42
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Beckett42 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:30 am

You need to go to a family law solicitor and they will do it fairly fast if you both have agreed then it's very simple my advice is get that done immidiate

zeus121
Ireland

Post by zeus121 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:33 am

Thank you so much for your advise. I will try to get it done ASAP. Did you get your independent residency yet. How long were you on stamp 4 when you separated with your spouse if you don't mind me asking?

Beckett42
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Beckett42 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:35 am

xxxxxxxx I used these there based in Dublin so I'm hoping your in Dublin but they are perfect to get it started