ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name change on ILR, is BRP required for naturalisation?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

DoubleTake
Newly Registered
Sri Lanka

Name change on ILR, is BRP required for naturalisation?

Post by DoubleTake » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Hi,

I'm not able to find any information regarding name changes (not due to marriage) and how it works on getting citizenship by naturalisation. I know that if you have a BRP card, you are required to update if your name or any other details change.

(1) Is this the same case if you have an ILR vignette on an expired passport?

(2) Can you apply for naturalisation using your new name in your new foreign passport but with the old name on the ILR vignette on your expired passport?

(3) If not, would I have to apply for BRP to transfer the ILR status with my new name, then apply for naturalisation?

(4) I believe this process used to be done through something called NTL which I can no longer find in the updated fees listing on the Home Office website (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... tober-2018). By the looks of it, this is seem to be now under "TOC or Application for a document confirming identity and immigration or nationality status - indefinite leave to remain" - £229 (https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... nt-service)?

(5) There is also a fee category for "Expedited processing -Premium Service Centre -Super Premium service -Super Priority service (new arrangements)" - £610, can you use this service to expedite your ILR -> BRP process, in which case, the total cost would be £229 + £610 = £839?

(6) Am I correct in saying that I would not be able to update my name on my Driving License using my new foreign passport if my ILR is still in my old name?

(7) Is this a complicated process (ILR old name -> BRP new name -> Naturalisation), if so, should I get a solicitor involved?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

DoubleTake
Newly Registered
Sri Lanka

Re: Name change on ILR, is BRP required for naturalisation?

Post by DoubleTake » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:22 pm

Anyone able to provide advice on any of the questions?

DoubleTake
Newly Registered
Sri Lanka

Post by DoubleTake » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:52 am

Is there a more appropriate sub-forum I should post these questions in? Really not sure what to do with all this.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:55 am

You can apply with ILR vignette, new passport and evidence of name change, ie deed poll
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

DoubleTake
Newly Registered
Sri Lanka

Post by DoubleTake » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:04 pm

That's great, thanks for the clarification CR001. Do you know if the new system would cater for situations like this? I.e. accepting deed poll documents?

Also, would I still be able to sit the Life in UK Test with my new name using the new passport as ID eventhough the ILR vignette is in the old name? I read somewhere that if the name in the test certificate doesn't match then your naturalisation application would be rejected.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:45 am

Yes deed poll is accepted.

You only need your passport for LIUK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

DoubleTake
Newly Registered
Sri Lanka

Post by DoubleTake » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:28 pm

Perfect, thanks for all the information CR001, much appreciated!