ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

child tax and working tax credit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

noorali26

child tax and working tax credit

Post by noorali26 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:30 pm

hello all and senior members i am on 10 year route visa .my wife is British citizen and i have two kids i have a question i m going to apply my visa extension in couple of months my wife getting child benefit on her name only but child and working tax credit on joint names but i am the one who working at the moment she is not working .i am bit worried that it will effect on my visa extension because of working and child tax credit. i know that on 10 year spouse route there is no £18600 requirement but on my visa its written no public funds.
i phoned hmrc and told them about the situation they said you claimed joint so it wont effect your visa status but im worried i am the main applicant mean i am the one who working and getting the child and working tax credit .if any senior member help me i would really appreciate thanks.

Casa

Re: child tax and working tax credit

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:43 pm

HMRC are correct. No issues with your visa conditions
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noorali26

Post by noorali26 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:51 pm

thanks casa so it doesn't matter even if i am the main claimant because wife is not working.
on the hmrc letter written my name and said you claimed with my wife name joint.

noorali26

Post by noorali26 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:26 pm

Still worried because one of my friend said if your wife working then it wont be problem to getting child and working tax credit but i am the main applicant who claim but with her name what shall i do i dont want to any trouble with my visa extension any more suggestions please

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:27 am

noorali26 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:26 pm
one of my friend said if your wife working then it wont be problem to getting child and working tax credit but i am the main applicant who claim but with her name
I don't know how it will affect your visa appication, but are you aware that under the Welfare changes, both parents will have to work for benefits? And that you and your wife, will have a mimimum amount you must earn each week, to avoid having to go the the jobcentre, go on work experience, your benefits being sanctioned etc?

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:41 am

noorali26

Post by noorali26 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:43 am

thanks your reply yeah i know the changes but i am just worried becuase im working does that mean i am claiming only this is worried me thats all also she is not working and she is suffering crohn's disease she cant go for work .

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:45 am

Fine to claim tax credits in JOINT names, as it should be claimed. No effect on visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noorali26

Post by noorali26 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:08 am

thank you for all

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:00 pm

noorali26 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:43 am
she is suffering crohn's disease she cant go for work .
Many with crohns disease do work. Just a heads up, benefits are changing. The rules for the Working Tax Credits benefits are only, parents must work 24 hours a week them and there is no minimum earnings required, so they could claim to be self employed and only earning say £50 a week. The Child Tax Credit benefit has no work requirement for the parent/s at all.

Their replacement benefit, Universal Credit, has strict work requirments required and there is a minimum earnings these are required to make each week. It will be up to the result of her regular medicals for the ESA benefit, whether she is put in the group that is expected to do some work for the Universal Credit benefit. Or you can make her required earnings for her, as well as your own required earnings each week.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:18 pm

JB007 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:00 pm

The rules for the Working Tax Credits benefits are only, parents must work 24 hours a week them
The rules for the Working Tax Credits benefits are only, parents must work 24 hours a week between them

noorali26

Post by noorali26 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:21 pm

Thanks yeah i am working 24 hours a week does she have to work 24 hours a wek aswell

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:53 pm

noorali26 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:21 pm
Thanks yeah i am working 24 hours a week does she have to work 24 hours a wek aswell
You only working 24 hours a week and claiming low income benefits, will not be allowed with the Welfare Reforms. Under Universal credit, you will be required to have at least a weekly earnings of 35 hours a week at the hourly national minimum wage. The hourly minimum wage will rise to £8.27 in April: 35 x £8.27 = £287.35 minimum for you per week to avoid Universal Credit conditions.

Your wife's required earnings per week will be based on the age of your youngest child, as that decides how many hours she must work each week at the hourly NMW. If she is in receipt of ESA and in the group that states she is exempt from work at the moment, then she will not have to do those hours. If she is not requried to work on her ESA medical (that she will be required to have often) she night be on contribution based ESA and that ESA benefit money will be deducted from your joint Universal Credit benefit and is taxable.

One of the things that loses any transtional protection when you are moved onto Universal Credit, will be you and your wife not making your minimum earnings requirements for 3 months. That means your benefit money will be reduced. Those who keep their transitional proection, will not have any benefit rises until they reach the level that Universal Credit is paid at.

Those who do more work will not see a cliff edge drop in benefits anymore, which is what happens under the present (legacy) system. These will be better off on Universal Credit.

There is a two child limit for low income benefits, but no limit to the number of children you can claim childcare help for when you both work.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:35 pm

Transitional Protection is an extra 'transitional' amount which tops up your Universal Credit award so that you are not worse off when you move onto Universal Credit

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guid ... protection

Some people find they are better off on Universal Credit. Some get the same as they did under the legacy benefits.