ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Not Getting Interview Calls.

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

phoenix.hsmp
Newly Registered

Not Getting Interview Calls.

Post by phoenix.hsmp » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:56 pm

I have about 5 Years of Experience in Java/J2EE and have obtained the Entry Clearance. I have worked with a top IT company of India and currently employed with a top software company of the US. But i am surprised, alarmed and dissapointed that even after about 2 months of posting my resume on various UK jobsites, i am unable to get any interview call.

I have followed standard guidelines to write my CV and there are many job profiles i have seen on the job sites which exactly match my experience and skills.

Can anybody tell me what could be the reason for this? Do i need to add any specific information on my CV?

I have resigned from my current job and plan to travel to the UK in mid may. Comments, Suggestions, Pointers all welcome.

yewhongwei79

Post by yewhongwei79 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:46 pm

Have you prepared sufficient fund for your expenses in UK before getting a job?

jaas

Post by jaas » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:03 pm

My suggestion would be to check your resume and alter it as per employer requirements ....and check out UK resume formats ..if possible post your resume on somewhere on net (make sure to remove personal details before posting) and people can check and let you know whats the problem with your resume .....!!!

Cheers
jaas

phoenix.hsmp
Newly Registered

Post by phoenix.hsmp » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:24 am

yewhongwei79 wrote:Have you prepared sufficient fund for your expenses in UK before getting a job?
that i hope will not be a problem... and the point is not that. even after having sufficient experience, i am unable to secure even an interview call!

i will try and post it in these forums (via link) after removing all personal details.

WorkPermitIssues

Post by WorkPermitIssues » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:24 am

I understand that you are in India yet and have not got to UK. So if ur CV contains details like an Indian Address or an Indian phon number, your chances of getting an interview call i reduced. Clients and recruiters here care only for thepeople who are physically present in the UK.

phoenix.hsmp
Newly Registered

Removed Indian Info

Post by phoenix.hsmp » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:54 am

WorkPermitIssues wrote:I understand that you are in India yet and have not got to UK. So if ur CV contains details like an Indian Address or an Indian phon number, your chances of getting an interview call i reduced. Clients and recruiters here care only for thepeople who are physically present in the UK.
realizing this - about 1-2 weeks ago, i removed all indian addresses and phone number from the resume. i kept only the email as my contact on the resume. still i am not able to get an interview call - i assume i should wait longer after this change for my resume to get more visibility. any other suggestions?

WorkPermitIssues

Re: Removed Indian Info

Post by WorkPermitIssues » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:03 am

phoenix.hsmp wrote:
WorkPermitIssues wrote:I understand that you are in India yet and have not got to UK. So if ur CV contains details like an Indian Address or an Indian phon number, your chances of getting an interview call i reduced. Clients and recruiters here care only for thepeople who are physically present in the UK.
realizing this - about 1-2 weeks ago, i removed all indian addresses and phone number from the resume. i kept only the email as my contact on the resume. still i am not able to get an interview call - i assume i should wait longer after this change for my resume to get more visibility. any other suggestions?
Possibly, you will have to remove any keywords that point to Indian cities, states etc. Mention about US, European clients etc.. Mention your technical skills very very specifically.. e.g. on a specific project, what exactly did u do with EJB, Servlets etc.. Design, Arch blah blah.. instead of mentioning generically that u were responsible for Design & arch.. mention what design patterns u used.. what layering and a lil bit that keeps them interested in a tech profile and gives them an upfront view about ur skills.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:50 pm

phoenix.hsmp wrote:
Are you applying for job openings or just hoping to your CV searched by recruiter.

You need to apply for job openings and need to show willingness to come to UK, would there be any interview.

blrtmp
Newly Registered

Post by blrtmp » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:54 pm

My opinion make your resume as short as possible, preferrably 2 pages. Also the general market trend is ok, not much recruitment happening on the Finance IT, but other areas I think its doing ok.
BTW you need to apply for jobs...simply posting your cv may not work out all the time like in india...
all the best..
gotcha wrote:
phoenix.hsmp wrote:
Are you applying for job openings or just hoping to your CV searched by recruiter.

You need to apply for job openings and need to show willingness to come to UK, would there be any interview.

phoenix.hsmp
Newly Registered

Search Status

Post by phoenix.hsmp » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Thanks gotcha & blrtmp.

I have applied for relevant jobs - matching my experience (Java/J2EE) and interest. I think i would have found atleast 300 openings, if not more, suiting my profile & location interest till date and applied for the same through popular job sites & employment agencies. New ones come out each day and i just keep applying as soon as i see the right one.

My CV is only 2 pages (Format Is - Personal, Career Objective, Summary, Work Experience & Projects, Certification & Affiliations, Education, Declaration). The only contact point is my Email ID. Other than that the closest mention of an Address (since many think that might be the issue) is when i mention my employer name/location and college name/location(i mention bangalore, pune). I also believe i provide a good covering letter for every job i apply.

With my experience, i was hoping to get good calls. Also, the domain of my interest was finance/investment banking and combined with the J2EE technologies and experience, London seemed to be well suited for me. I had also found and applied to the same category - but with no results till date! Please continue to give inputs so that i can refine my search process.

blrtmp
Newly Registered

Job Seekers

Post by blrtmp » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:22 pm

My opinion...
Dont be too hopeful comparing your present market demand in India. In UK it may take time and access the risk and rewards before you make the plunge.

Huzain81
Newly Registered

Post by Huzain81 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:19 am

Hi,
I pity our decision of choosing UK on HSMP. The other side of the grass is always green. I am seriously disappointed. Considering that I may do something good for my family and friends I choose this place but today I am hoping those of my friends and relatives to help me in every way. Daily I spend 8 to 10 hours online applying for various job opportunities with zero results. At times I think AA Ab laut chale but who would clear the ____ ? Hope you got wat i mean to say. I use to direct the Directors of big MNC and now an illiterate person in a supermarket directs me to clean the bathroom after the shift. Added to that these guys say.... a job is a job... watever it might be. My sincerely advice to people who did not start the resignation process in India would be to tear of your passport and better stay jobless. A jobless in India is 100 times better than employed in UK. Hope you may take it extremely seriously. Therefore, conclusion for ..... is explained..... if you understand i would consider it to be a a task that I had achieved for getting into heaven. If you dont... then you get ready to join me in Hell. Welcome

nshar1

Re: Search Status

Post by nshar1 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:12 pm

phoenix.hsmp wrote:Thanks gotcha & blrtmp.

I have applied for relevant jobs - matching my experience (Java/J2EE) and interest. I think i would have found atleast 300 openings, if not more, suiting my profile & location interest till date and applied for the same through popular job sites & employment agencies. New ones come out each day and i just keep applying as soon as i see the right one.

My CV is only 2 pages (Format Is - Personal, Career Objective, Summary, Work Experience & Projects, Certification & Affiliations, Education, Declaration). The only contact point is my Email ID. Other than that the closest mention of an Address (since many think that might be the issue) is when i mention my employer name/location and college name/location(i mention bangalore, pune). I also believe i provide a good covering letter for every job i apply.

With my experience, i was hoping to get good calls. Also, the domain of my interest was finance/investment banking and combined with the J2EE technologies and experience, London seemed to be well suited for me. I had also found and applied to the same category - but with no results till date! Please continue to give inputs so that i can refine my search process.
Phoenix.hsmp,
There are two reasons for you not getting interview calls. One - nobody gets calls sitting in India.My friends tried it - so did I. Two- the job market has been low for some time.

My personal experience - I tried searching for jobs sitting back in India. It just didn't work. After coming here, I had to search for two months but then eventually got 3 job offers(most of them with much lower packages than my expectations). I work on Java/J2EE too with very high exp having good finance domain experience as well.

My advice to you - You need to come to UK to look for a job. Be prepared to search for 2-3 months. Plan to come without your family initially. Be well versed in Spring and Hibernate as these two are in high demand. Be prepared for worse circumstances- there has been a feeling that the job market here will get worse. The financial giants haven't been recruiting for
some time and predictions are that they will start firing. If such a thing happens some simple maths(20 giants laying off 500 employees each = 10000 job searchers in finance). In such an eventuality others will follow suit. If these predictions do come true then conditions will be much worse for job search.
In general the job market is much more stable in UK(say as compared to US). But the possibility is that these are exceptional circumstances.

kmehta

Post by kmehta » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:04 pm

As per personal experience to get a job in UK, i think most difficult task is to get a first call. Because consultants are looking for a word to word match in CV.
Other thing i want to mentioned about bringing the family. I was adviced to not to get family with me. But we came together and it has helped me a lot. Apart from many other respect, my wife got job in her own field, i was able to spend more time in getting the perfect job for me. Her moral and financial support has worked for me.

pranjam

Post by pranjam » Fri May 02, 2008 8:02 pm

First of all I dont think top IT cos. matter here in UK. I have worked for a no. of top IT cos in india most of the people here havent heard there name at all for ex i havent found one interviewer who has heard of wipro or infy neither has any recruiter

In any case we know these top it cos arent really top cos

redshift
Newly Registered

Re: Search Status

Post by redshift » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 am

nshar1 wrote:One - nobody gets calls sitting in India.My friends tried it - so did I.
You really can't say "nobody"! There will always be others. Case in the point: myself, i had 3 interview calls all the while i was here in India, with an Indian phone number and address. The company i am finally taking the job even flew me to U.K for a personal interview, all expenses paid.

It does take some patience and luck mate. (Of course i did do my M.S from the U.S, have been there for the last 4 years)

crusador0408
Member of Standing

Post by crusador0408 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:18 pm

Get a skype number...that way its much easier for them to chase you on local call rather than they cant even think about ISD calls to india.
Better option is , to just analyst and carefulyl study the job market, after you reach here , make a plan of 5-7 top agencies of your field. Follow them, keep good contacts and you will definitely get some calls.
From india there are very very few ppl who get to make till offer. You need to take this risk to come to UK, if you are a family man, plan carefully...may be first you take up job here and then invite them.

Good luck
I have my ILR since march 2013, previously based on HSMP+Tier1 ext. All views are my own, am not a professional on immigration matters.

adils

Post by adils » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:13 pm

crusador0408 wrote:Get a skype number...that way its much easier for them to chase you on local call rather than they cant even think about ISD calls to india.
Better option is , to just analyst and carefulyl study the job market, after you reach here , make a plan of 5-7 top agencies of your field. Follow them, keep good contacts and you will definitely get some calls.
From india there are very very few ppl who get to make till offer. You need to take this risk to come to UK, if you are a family man, plan carefully...may be first you take up job here and then invite them.

Good luck
Thanks crusador,
You are correct. Are you in UK now?

Adil
Skillset: Software Testing

netacct

Post by netacct » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:29 pm

Dealing with Agencies in big problem here.
I applied to employers directly who posted their adverts on CWJobs.Co.UK.
I got quite a few calls for interview and quite a few of them very good company. I gave 4 interviews and got offers from 3.

Also, on another note, I think there is too much competition/supply for IT jobs in UK. I went for an assessment day. there were 12 candidates and 8 were Indian. Most of the employers directly say that they receive 80% from Indians.

Plan, Plan and Plan. If you are average guy with common skills then think twice and plan accordingly.

Honeymoon in UK IT is already over.

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Netacct u worked in .NET and there is still lot of demand in that.
I started studying .NET while searching job and got the job in .NET.
But things are not easy as employers interview all the candidates and they have lot of options.I see here lot of UK experience guys also struggling to secure a job.From India u can schedule interview but u need to come to Uk for interviews.
My personal Experience says about it is:
.NET - in good demand.
Java/j2ee - in demand but one need to know hibernate and swings etc
In c,c++ on windows u may struggle but if u have worked on VC++ , databases u will have edge. If u know some graphics, OpenGL etc u can definately schedule interview.
and consultant here ask for UK experience and are very particular about communication skills.Uk guys are very particular about grammer and spellings.

One of my agent friend give me link to this
http://web.ukrecruiter.co.uk/forum/Foru ... 99&start=0

Cheers

netacct

Post by netacct » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:39 pm

The Golden rule is never ever generalize anything.
Every individual is different and thinks/reacts differently.

I myself consider very average with English...just average

Few companies rejected me because of my English skills and many companies, some of them VERY GOOD, offered my job even though I thought I may not get it.

The biggest hurdle is Agency.

Some one will see your talent and skills as opposed to English skills.
What matters for X, may not matter that for Y.

I met some of the guys at assessment center, who got few calls from very good companies in just couple of weeks after landing here and some are really struggling even after couple of months.

You just have to have right spirit and never ever give up. We all have some weaknesses and some strengths. There are certain things we can change and there are certain things we cant change.

Don;t bother what these rubbish agencies tell you...never let that loose your morale.

Everything has a price and there is nothing like a free lunch.
On an average, I got 4 or 5 job offers in last 2 months but still I am home and going to start my new job next Tue (I am again joining a small company and rejected offers of BIG class companies for some stupid reasons)

There are certain things in your hand and certain things not in your hand.
Focus on what you can change and learn and strive.
Don't give damn shit to what Agency says.

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:53 pm

Netacct
U have near about 4 years of UK experience and that makes a difference.
Many may not agree but english do make a difference.
I got some feedback from companies regarding communication skills. I also agree that anyone can fool agents as they have no idea of what we have worked. They do not know whether a particular job is for us or not?They generally ask us how it sounds to us.

netacct

Post by netacct » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:04 pm

I think, you misunderstood me.
I am not saying about fooling agent.
What I am saying is,

I know, communication skills make a difference but if someone got a talent he will get a job and succeed, may take a bit while.

My English skills and some of my friends is not that excellent but still we are doing good.

There are people who without UK Experience managed to get a job and there are people with UK experience who are struggling to get a job.

The reason (an Agency told me today) that most companies don't prefer to hire XXXX because employers think they are arrogant, rude and not polite etc
Someone with UK experience, may know the customs here bit well.

becool
Newly Registered

Post by becool » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:40 pm

Hi guys..

I am looking for work from past 2months..
I am getting a minimum of 5 calls per day..
How to know difference between genuine and fake?
I just had one interview but i never got a feedback from them..
I have just uploaded my cv to most of the jobportals and applying to the job adverts in them. Is there any thing that i can do?
Can any one please help me how to proceed?

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:52 pm

becool wrote:Hi guys..

I am looking for work from past 2months..
I am getting a minimum of 5 calls per day..
How to know difference between genuine and fake?
I just had one interview but i never got a feedback from them..
I have just uploaded my cv to most of the jobportals and applying to the job adverts in them. Is there any thing that i can do?
Can any one please help me how to proceed?
Which skillsets you are in ?