ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by Sulla » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:54 am

I just received an update. I am less than thrilled, but at least I can reschedule my trip to Turkey to a more appropriate time knowing this.

The Foreign Birth Registration section in the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has been undergoing a restructuring process. As a result, I have been informed that your FBR certificate will be dispatched from Dublin to the Embassy here in Beijing in the first week of March.

I would assume that since March 1st is a Friday, he means by March 8th. Therefore, I anticipate receiving it around March 15th.

For others that applied at around the same time as I did (mid-August), a similar situation may well hold true. At least the embassy here replies to their E-mails reasonably swiftly. I think he probably had to E-mail Dublin to get that answer for me, so a 5 day communication turnaround is not bad at all.

Recessi

Webchat did not work for me at all. FBR numbers cannot be accepted and clicking on the webchat icon just brings up a message indicating their opening hours - even when I use it well within those times. There is no longer any E-Mail or web contact form that we can use - unless you went through an embassy. The telephone number exists, but good luck getting an answer. I tried (finally) to call yesterday and failed miserably. Despite repeated attempts, all I got was an "unfortunately" message.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:20 pm

Sulla wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:54 am
I tried (finally) to call yesterday and failed miserably. Despite repeated attempts, all I got was an "unfortunately" message.
Not surprising, as they don't answer phone calls on Sunday (or Saturday). The same is true for webchat.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/contact-us/

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:15 pm

Tom

I wish that the explanation for my failure to reach anyone at the DFA was just that my mind was addled and I decided to call on a Sunday when they were closed.

Alas, this is not the case. " Yesterday" refers to Monday February 18th, when I attempted to use webchat and call repeatedly between about 17:15 and !8:30 China time. Given the time variance, that equates to 09:15 - 10:30 Irish time. Therefore, well within their stated hours of operation. In fact I was trying to call them when I received the E-Mail from the embassy informing me of my precise situation.

Why did I write yesterday? That's because I have to use a VPN to access this site and many others. Yesterday evening, when I was typing my post, it cut out. Normally, such outages last for many hours here until the company finds a workaround for whatever the government has done to counter their connectivity. Anticipating this, I thought it best to save my post to word and submit it on Tuesday morning my time. So I changed the words "just now" to "yesterday" to reflect this. However, in this instance the VPN came back to life an hour later and I quickly posted the content forgetting to re-edit the word.

Apologies for any confusion sown.

mayorob
Newly Registered

Post by mayorob » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Spoke to somebody on the webchat, asking if my manager in a bank would suffice as 'Bank Manager' (seems obvious but I wasn't sure if they wanted an actual Branch Manager). The guy says that they don't accept a Bank Manager to witness the FBR document!

In fairness, the link below backs up what he says:
https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenshi ... ign-birth/

But it literally says on my form, in section E, that a Bank Manager suffices. So inconsistent. I'm going to go with it and hope!

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:49 pm

mayorob wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:06 pm
I'm going to go with it and hope!
You're on a forum where people who've followed the application instructions to the letter are reporting increasingly lengthy processing times. If you've still heard nothing in 12 months time, imagine how you'll be feeling then. I'd imagine it would be similar to that holiday-ruining paranoia when you think you might have left the gas on back at home...

Aussie_MJ
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Aussie_MJ » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:26 pm

rcessi wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:56 pm
Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to get in contact to get an update with my application (its been almost six months so I'm more curious than worried). But the contact page of the FBR only lists webchat and Telephone.

I can use the telephone since I live abroad, but the webchat requires me to input an 11-digit Passport Application ID. I was given a skew starting with "FBR" following 11-digit skew. This does not work for some reason. I don't believe I was given any other skew and the window won't let me proceed otherwise.

Is there an email address I can send my questions too? I feel like that would be a lot easier.
I went through this process the other day. Just put in your FBR number and when they connect you to a chat person (there is about a 10 minute wait time) ask to be connected with someone who is managing FBR inquiries.

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:35 pm

I checked on the status of FBR application today via Webchat. Application was received in Dublin on August 22, about 6 months ago.
Was advised they are “working on the application” and the “current turnaround time is 8 to 9 months minimum” .
They have received thousands of New Applications from the UK causing the increased approval times.
This approval time applies to “all applications in the system” .
I asked if moving to new offices and training new staff has caused a delay in approving applications?
Answer; “We moved over a weekend and Are currently approving applications. There was no break. Any disruption was minimal”

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:21 pm

mayorob wrote:
It's unfortunate that there is inconsistent guidance about using bank managers as witnesses. Several online sources (Embassies and Consulates of Ireland) and the OPs application form say they are proper witnesses. But the DFA website, and the DFA representative (via webchat) state otherwise.

Perhaps there was a change in policy. But it might have been better to ask them if that were so, rather than taking a chance. Because there are processing backlogs, it's possible that if they don't accept your witness, you won't be notified of that for several months. Your application could be returned as incomplete, since they do state that as a possibility. However, no one here has ever reported that as an outcome.

The risk you take is that you may be asked to resubmit with an acceptable witness, and be given one or two weeks to do so. That could occur at an inconvenient time for you (as BrexitEscapee said - a "holiday-ruining experience").

Since your application form states bank managers are acceptable, I do hope they honor that.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:26 pm

upliam wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:35 pm
I checked on the status of FBR application today via Webchat. Application was received in Dublin on August 22, about 6 months ago.
Was advised they are “working on the application” and the “current turnaround time is 8 to 9 months minimum” .
They have received thousands of New Applications from the UK causing the increased approval times.
This approval time applies to “all applications in the system” .
I asked if moving to new offices and training new staff has caused a delay in approving applications?
Answer; “We moved over a weekend and Are currently approving applications. There was no break. Any disruption was minimal”

In Aug the real time was about 4 months and being quoted at 6. So with the move and the new system online, it went from 4-6 months to 9-11 months? Seems the new system is failing massively.

Are they pooling applications as where it originated?

Asdf1234
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Asdf1234 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:54 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:21 pm
mayorob wrote:
It's unfortunate that there is inconsistent guidance about using bank managers as witnesses. Several online sources (Embassies and Consulates of Ireland) and the OPs application form say they are proper witnesses. But the DFA website, and the DFA representative (via webchat) state otherwise.

Perhaps there was a change in policy. But it might have been better to ask them if that were so, rather than taking a chance. Because there are processing backlogs, it's possible that if they don't accept your witness, you won't be notified of that for several months. Your application could be returned as incomplete, since they do state that as a possibility. However, no one here has ever reported that as an outcome.

The risk you take is that you may be asked to resubmit with an acceptable witness, and be given one or two weeks to do so. That could occur at an inconvenient time for you (as BrexitEscapee said - a "holiday-ruining experience").

Since your application form states bank managers are acceptable, I do hope they honor that.
I believe the change to the FBR website RE the witness list happened around Dec 20, 2018. Before that, the FBR website had included Bank Manager and Medical Doctor. Since then, they’ve shortened the list. They also made some other changes like requiring 4 photos instead of 2, and 3 proofs of address (instead of 2).

It seems as though the applications that are printed online still have the old witness list. This is pretty careless on FBR’s part not to change the list on the actual applications, especially if they do not intend on honouring that list.

I submitted my application at the beginning of December (received by FBR on Dec 6) and had it witnessed by a Medical Doctor, so I’m assuming that applications submitted before the change will be accepted using the old witness list.

I sent an email to FBR asking this but never got a reply, probably because they recently stop taking emails. I haven’t yet used the webchat.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:52 am

Michael / Upliam

If my FBR is delivered according to the information I received from the embassy - I liked the certainty of "will be dispatched from Dublin to the Embassy here in Beijing in the first week of March. " - then you guys may well be in an identical position. I certainly hope so. It is very possible that your emails simply were not sent out in all the confusion associated with the move and avalanche of Brexit led FBR applications.

For me, this process should end in about 3 weeks. That will be roughly 7 months since initial application receipt. Not good, but certainly preferable to the 8-11 month time-frame that seems to be being circulated now.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:08 am

I finally figured out why Webchat did not work for me and always displayed the hours of operation message. It was not because I was calling at the incorrect time. It was instead due to the fact that my computer's desktop clock was set to Beijing time. I adjusted it to Irish time and it worked without issue. As others said, just click on the icon without the need to fill in the FBR application number. I do find it a bit odd that changing the clock solved this problem, but there it is.

I did not actually proceed to speak to anyone as I got my delivery timeline answer already via email. I just wanted to fix this problem in case I have to use it in future - maybe for the passport.

mayorob
Newly Registered

Post by mayorob » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

BrexitEscapee wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:49 pm

You're on a forum where people who've followed the application instructions to the letter are reporting increasingly lengthy processing times. If you've still heard nothing in 12 months time, imagine how you'll be feeling then. I'd imagine it would be similar to that holiday-ruining paranoia when you think you might have left the gas on back at home...
PasadenaTom wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Fair enough, you guys have me questioning myself now! I would go to my Doctor but even that is no longer on the list on the FBR website!

Here is a screenshot from my form, generated last week:

I think it would be incredibly harsh if they rejected it considering this is exactly what it says, but as you guys say, probably not worth the risk if I can somehow find a lawyer or police officer...

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:04 pm

mayorob wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

Fair enough, you guys have me questioning myself now! I would go to my Doctor but even that is no longer on the list on the FBR website!

Here is a screenshot from my form, generated last week:

I think it would be incredibly harsh if they rejected it considering this is exactly what it says, but as you guys say, probably not worth the risk if I can somehow find a lawyer or police officer...
I had no doubt that bank manager was on your application, because I could see that it was still listed on other official websites (like the San Francisco consulate and London embassy).

It was my impression that you had already mailed your application. If you haven't, your options might be
  • Send it as-is and hope they accept it.
  • Contact DFA, point out that your application says your witness is OK, and ask them to explain the discrepancy
  • Get a new witness whose profession is on the website list what they will accept
One thing I wonder about is the knowledge level of the person on the other end of your last webchat with them. They may have simply looked at the website, and not seeing "bank manager", just told you they wouldn't accept it. It is possible that they changed their policy, and won't accept that profession as a witness any longer. But maybe it's a mistake on the website? It may be a long and futile exercise. But you probably need someone at a manager/supervisor level to explain which witness list is authoritative.

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:10 pm

Sulla wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:52 am
Michael / Upliam

If my FBR is delivered according to the information I received from the embassy- then you guys may well be in an identical position. I certainly hope so. It is very possible that your emails simply were not sent out in all the confusion associated with the move and avalanche of Brexit led FBR applications.
Thanks Sulla, but when I contacted Dublin yesterday via WebChat they confirmed my application was still under review and could take another 2 - 3 months for final approval :( . So the waiting continues.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:20 pm

This probably explains why FBR applications from Britain are no longer sent to London:

London embassy 'stretched' by passport demand ahead of Brexit

Those of us in this discussion probably view DFA through the lens of Foreign Birth Registration. But they also issue passports - and a lot more of them than FBR certificates. Not only are there people in the UK who are applying for FBR. But anyone whose parents were born in Ireland can get a passport. And anyone who was born in Northern Ireland is entitled to one.

So it is no wonder that DFA seems to be overwhelmed. My guess is that issuing passports to current citizens is probably their first priority.

Buyer7
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Buyer7 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:16 pm

Sounds like the teams at the embassies are swamped.

I sent my application for FBR in December 2018 and today I have just received my notification email that it has been received and is being processed.

Going on the experience of the others on this forum and the general Brexit hysteria here in the UK, I won't be sat by the front door looking out for the post man - since I'm expecting this to be a lengthy wait.

B7

danmur
Newly Registered

Post by danmur » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:49 pm

zippy12 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:06 pm
danmur wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:51 pm
danmur wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 pm

Hello all,

Chap from the postman to sign for a special delivery from Dublin!

Date on my certificate was 17-12-18 and jsut received in post today 2-2-19. This takes me just under the six months and I had a few issues in between with veryfiying documents.

Had asked for a passport application form during my FBR process and I also got one in the envelope with my certificate and supporting documents.

I’m going to go into Glasgow this week and get my passport completed. I had read previous regarding the photos being a different size required for an Irish passport could someone please advise?

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask and hopefully I can help.

Thanks.
Hi,

If you're going to Glasgow, I would recommend going to SnappySnaps in Byres Road, close to Hillhead Subway station who can provide the correct size photos for your passport. You can have your photos done in black and white or colour. I think it was £8.99 for the required 4 photos/

I would also recommend using the Passport Express service at the West Nile Street, Glasgow post office which is one of only two post office in the UK (the other is is Liverpool) which provides this service.

They will check your application to make sure everything is correct before sending it off.
The cost of the service is £11 over and above the £70 fee. This includes sending the passport back to you along with all the documents you submitted with your application. Your application and documents are sent directly to Cork for processing and not London as previously. I was advised by the PO clerk in Glasgow that this process would take 3 weeks- I asked if this lead time included first applications and was told yes, it did.
I submitted my application on the 21 Jan - and at the moment, the web passport tracking app (https://passporttracking.dfa.ie/) says that my passport should be issued on the 15th Feb. Fingers crossed. :D

Regards,
Zippy12
Hello Zippy12,

Sorry been away on holiday first time checking this in a few weeks.

Sent my passport application away on Saturday 9th February and it’s giving me an ETA issue date the second week in March.
Have you had any luck receiving yours yet?

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:39 am

6 months today...

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:47 am

Michael123 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:39 am
6 months today...
:(

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:38 am

Liam is Friday.

nic123
Newly Registered

Post by nic123 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:48 am

Michael123 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:39 am
6 months today...
8 months on Monday

Larran2019
Newly Registered

Post by Larran2019 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:20 pm

Larran2019 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:14 am
Larran2019 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 am
Wow, there's a lot of people in the same boat!

I sent my FBR off on December 4th 2018 and I'm slightly concerned as I have had no email receipt or any kind of confirmation from them. I sent it next day recorded delivery so I can see that it was received. Should I be worried? It seems like everybody else has had an email in the next day or two.

I've tried calling the Embassy today but their phone line isn't even accepting calls, saying that due to a high volume of calls they cannot accept any calls at the moment and then it cuts off. I can't use the webchat that you get directed to from the new 'Customer Service Hub' page as I need to have a passport application number to proceed.. which I don't have :|

Thanks in advance for any help!
Update: I managed to get on chat and I've just been told this: All applications submitted to our Embassy in London between August and December are now being processed in our new processing office in Balbriggan - that office are in the process of opening envelopes and sending receipt confirmation emails to applicants, you should receive a receipt confirmation e-mail in the next few weeks to confirm your application has been received and is in a queue for processing
So finally today I've had a confirmation email that they've received my application. Sent it off to the London Irish Embassy on the 4th of December 2018, had an email today from Dublin 22nd February 2019! I have been advised in this email that the waiting time is still up to six months (we'll see) should I assume that's six months from now instead of December...?!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:39 pm

Larran2019 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:20 pm
[quote=Larran2019 post_id=<a href="tel:1742105">1742105</a> time=<a href="tel:1550056446">1550056446</a> user_id=212413]
[quote=Larran2019 post_id=<a href="tel:1742074">1742074</a> time=<a href="tel:1550053671">1550053671</a> user_id=212413]
Wow, there's a lot of people in the same boat!

I sent my FBR off on December 4th 2018 and I'm slightly concerned as I have had no email receipt or any kind of confirmation from them. I sent it next day recorded delivery so I can see that it was received. Should I be worried? It seems like everybody else has had an email in the next day or two.

I've tried calling the Embassy today but their phone line isn't even accepting calls, saying that due to a high volume of calls they cannot accept any calls at the moment and then it cuts off. I can't use the webchat that you get directed to from the new 'Customer Service Hub' page as I need to have a passport application number to proceed.. which I don't have :|

Thanks in advance for any help!
Update: I managed to get on chat and I've just been told this: All applications submitted to our Embassy in London between August and December are now being processed in our new processing office in Balbriggan - that office are in the process of opening envelopes and sending receipt confirmation emails to applicants, you should receive a receipt confirmation e-mail in the next few weeks to confirm your application has been received and is in a queue for processing
[/quote]

So finally today I've had a confirmation email that they've received my application. Sent it off to the London Irish Embassy on the 4th of December 2018, had an email today from Dublin 22nd February 2019! I have been advised in this email that the waiting time is still up to six months (we'll see) should I assume that's six months from now instead of December...?!
[/quote]

You better plan on Six months from this coming December.

kathleen18
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by kathleen18 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:18 pm

A warning for anyone applying for an Irish passport with their new FBR cert.

My grandfather was born in Ireland and I was very happy in May 2018 to become an Irish citizen and receive my foreign Birth Registration Certificate.
In November 2018 I applied for an Irish Passport and sent off my application with appropriate documentation, including the original of the FBR cert. Two months late I received a letter from the passport office in Cork to say that they were unable to process my application as I had sent copies rather than original documents. The letter I received from the passport office contained a photocopy of the FBR cert. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone/ emailing/ trying unsuccessfully to have web chats with both the passport office and the FBR office- all are part of the Department of Foreign Affairs. I met with a brick wall ands was told that I must have photocopied the FBR cert and other documents- which would have been tricky as I don't own a photocopier. Eventually there was no other option but to pay 20 euros to get a copy of the FBR cert- luckily I had all the details on the photocopy they had sent me. ie numbers etc and also had the dates of birth of both my father and grandfather
Eventually I got an email out of the blue from the passport office to say that they had found my original documents ( two weeks after they told me that I'd sent them photocopies). I know have my Irish passport- Hurrah!
Moral of the story: make a note of , or even photograph all the details on your certificate so that if the passport office lose you can at least apply for a replacement
Good luck to all of you whose FBR and passport applications are taking so long